• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had surgery yesterday to repair my Supraspinatus tendon. A full thickness tear, approx 3cm long. The surgeon also found a sizeable hole that he repaired as well. He said that surgery went very well. In an immobilizer sling right now, Tomorrow I can take it off to do some pendulum swings. The long road to recovery begins. I had hoped to get it done at the beginning of April, so I wouldn't lose the whole summer, but thats the way the health care system works here! I got an O2 compression cold therapy wrap from ortho direct, which is great. Hopefully will be up to strength for skiing in December!
Any tips, thoughts, exercises, for speedy recovery?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Best advice, do everything your doctor and therapist tells you to do. Follow their recommendations to the letter.

Understand what you are going through. I had rotator cuff surgery about 40 years ago. (before scopes) My right hand was ‘growing’ out of my belly button for eight weeks. I rejoiced once the sling came off. Three things I that had me going; how to tie my shoes (I bought Hush Puppy loafers), how to drive my stick shift Fiat X1/9 (it sat for 8 weeks), and we won’t discuss the other ‘concern’ (let’s just say I figured out how to use my left hand).

Good luck, heal well.

Before anyone says it, yes, I had a Fiat X1/9. Let’s just say it wasn’t the best car decision I ever made.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Before anyone says it, yes, I had a Fiat X1/9. Let’s just say it wasn’t the best car decision I ever made.

Never mind the dodgy mechanicals, shoddy electricals and ugly 5mph bumpers, I bet the regret was 'coz you needed people with healthy arms and shoulders to pick it back up out of the ditch.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Surgeon plans to re attach mine next Wednesday and I will join the off season recovery club also. Looking to be at 85% strength when the season kicks off late October. 100% recovery will be 12-15 months away. First surgery on a shoulder that has seen three dislocations and one separation and several tendons damaged over 40 years of pounding on the slopes. MRI showed the new damage, the old damage and the arthritis.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had RC surgery and tendon repairs 9 years ago. Full recovery and movement took a good 6 months and a lot of physio.

However the single best exercise I found in regaining movement was a very simple one. Use a small pulley with a bracket to fit on top of a door . Thread a 6 foot length of cord through it and sit in a chair with your back against the door. Catch tehe ends of the cord in each hand and then use the good arm to help lift the repaired arm up to vertical ( or at least gradually increasing how far you can move it!). . Lower and repeat.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had RC surgery and tendon repairs 9 years ago. Full recovery and movement took a good 6 months and a lot of physio.

However the single best exercise I found in regaining movement was a very simple one. Use a small pulley with a bracket to fit on top of a door . Thread a 6 foot length of cord through it and sit in a chair with your back against the door. Catch tehe ends of the cord in each hand and then use the good arm to help lift the repaired arm up to vertical ( or at least gradually increasing how far you can move it!). . Lower and repeat.

I have one of these rigs set up already, from when I first injured it.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Guy in Shorts : Good Luck on your surgery. I have to say mine went quite well. Not much pain at all, have a nice immobilizing sling which works very well. I am currently just doing the arm dangles, and rotating pendulum 3 or 4 times a day. Started that yesterday. The surgeon had recommended a 'GameReady' compression ice therapy machine, which looked good , but was quite expensive, even to rent. Insurance didn't cover it.
I ended up getting a compression ice pack from amazon, and it is great. I have been putting it on 3X a day. removable ice pack fits in a multi-velcroed brace with an inflatable bladder. Strap it on, pump it up. I do require assistance to put it on though. Highly recommend it

20180615_103036_HDR_resized.jpg

20180615_103126_HDR_resized.jpg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Twelve days since surgery as PT starts today with @Brian Finch. The post surgery report was less than rosy as the surgeon describes the muscle on rotator cuff that he reattached as thread bare like a worn out sock. Told my wife that a complete shoulder rebuild my be needed by the time I hit 60 or 65. Will make my PT progress critical to try to avoid further surgery as I turned 59 in May. With ski season just four months away I need a quick recovery for a slow healing injury. Staying healthy enough to continue to ski 100 plus day seasons is becoming a full time job.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Guy in Shorts , Hopefully you will recover just fine. Follow your PT's instructions and don't try to rush things. I am same age as you (6 mo older), Things are taking longer to heal now, as you are no doubt aware. Maybe try some things like laser light therapy (although some people poo-poo it as useless placebo, others swear by it) or stem cell therapy. You have a few months before skiing, all you have to do is get it good enough to make a solid pole plant!

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had surgery yesterday to repair my Supraspinatus tendon. A full thickness tear, approx 3cm long. The surgeon also found a sizeable hole that he repaired as well. He said that surgery went very well. In an immobilizer sling right now, Tomorrow I can take it off to do some pendulum swings. The long road to recovery begins. I had hoped to get it done at the beginning of April, so I wouldn't lose the whole summer, but thats the way the health care system works here! I got an O2 compression cold therapy wrap from ortho direct, which is great. Hopefully will be up to strength for skiing in December!
Any tips, thoughts, exercises, for speedy recovery?
I have had shoulder pain on and off for years. I had an MRI done two years ago that shows it needs surgery. I talked to my Ortho who said to put it off as long as I can. I just need to be careful as it re-injures easily. I will go as long as I can without surgery on it. I am 60 years old and ski at an expert level for an older guy.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This Wednesday will be 11 weeks post surgery with the recovery going better than expected. With first turns of the year less than 60 days away all body parts should be ready for the new season. Clearance to start strength training expected in 3 weeks when I see the Doc for follow-up. PT is a blast with non stop ski talk filling the time thanks to @Brian Finch. Swimming, kayaking and SUP helping to regain full range of motion. How are you making out so far @graham418?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Herself is envious - she's still up and down in both pain and crunchy feel. 3 weeks post, she still can't get dressed; PT would like her to not ski ever again. PT is from Sudan, what does she know?

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am at week 13. Things have been going ok, but nothing special.. While I was in the immobilizing sling, everything was good. No movement - No pain. I had good range of motion (passive assisted) at the PT. Since the sling is gone , it is starting to hurt more. I guess more movement = more pain. Active and passive ROM is good . I should have started strengthening this week, but I am on holiday in the maritimes, so I am only overindulging in crustaceans and molluscs. I forgot to bring my thera bands.
I am experiencing some crunching, and some catching of tendons on bone. Last week I was at a point where I was pre surgery, and seriously doubted my choice . This week is a little better. I rode my bike for the first time in a long time 2 weeks ago, and it was better than it was pre surgery. @Guy in Shorts . if you are doing the SUP, swimming and kayaking, you are already healed! I don't think I could do that yet. Maybe I have to push a little harder, but my PT has been very cautious about how much I do

JonathanR

Booting up
Skier
Hope your recovery is going well. I had a Supraspinatus injury last season though luckily it was not a full tear and I didn't need surgery, managed to get back to basically 100% strength after 4-5 months.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had the supraspinatus reattached, biceps tendon reattached, collarbone shaved down - all 9 years ago. Rehab sucked - way worse than my ACL recovery - but shoulder is great and has been since. I think I may need to get my other one looked at as it is acting up.

Glad you all are progressing nicely!

James

Out There
Instructor
Had it many years ago. Lets hope yours works better than mine did. Post that I dislocated more than I could count. Avoided throwing snowballs arm over head. I got those Goode pencil poles years ago in the belief it would absorb shock and dislocate my shoulder less. Didn't work. Used to freak people out when I'd ask them to hold my dangling arm at the wrist while I moved back. In it went.

The good news is.... apparently that area actually gets tighter with age. That happened to me. Didn't dislocate for like a dozen years. Then I was on a tube being dragged by a boat...fell off doing probably 50 with the whip in the rope. Out it went.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thins are progressing well. Full range of motion, strength is coming along. The persistent clicking and catching of tendon over bone has lessened. Small setback in the rehab program as I am currently dealing with an Atrial Fibrillation situation. This aging process is a total pain in the ass

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Herself is at 12 weeks post; persistent pain is (mostly) gone. She is *not* anywhere near full RoM especially in external rotation, and she's getting her full dose of clicking and catching - which seems to have moved forward both towards the bicep and towards the breast bone. Biggest success story thus far? Her medical massage therapist can pretty much remove a large chunk of the c&cs within an hour session.

Sponsor

Staff online