• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roof Boxes for Audi

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Does anyone have a SQ5 and was successfully able to fit a box to it? I am having a very hard time finding a box that will allow the rear hatch to fully open. Dinging up the rear hatch on my 4Runner is all OK. Not so much with the Audi.

Thanks so much.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Possibly of help?

Also, we've got a great rack store in the PNW called Rack Attack. If you get the right person on the phone, of course.

Disclosure: The son of a long-time friend owns the place, so I'm probably a bit skewed.

Last edited:

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I just bought a new Q5 last weekend. I put my Thule Flow on top with no problems (factory crossbars). Manually place the tailgate where you want it (i.e. just aft of the roof box) when open, hold down the "close tailgate" button on the bottom of the tailgate, and it will "remember" that spot and open to it automatically. Depending on your roofbox and the clearance, the tailgate may not open completely, but you can find a happy medium of access and not hitting the roof box.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I just bought a new Q5 last weekend. I put my Thule Flow on top with no problems (factory crossbars). Manually place the tailgate where you want it (i.e. just aft of the roof box) when open, hold down the "close tailgate" button on the bottom of the tailgate, and it will "remember" that spot and open to it automatically. Depending on your roofbox and the clearance, the tailgate may not open completely, but you can find a happy medium of access and not hitting the roof box.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@martyg ... Q3, not Q5. Presumably even more of a challenge.

I had already drilled a new set of holes in the bottom of the box for a previous car. On this one I was able to make it work by just moving the rack crossbars as far forward as possible.

20191130_082051-01.jpeg
20191130_082051-02.jpeg
20191130_082110-01.jpeg
20191130_082110-02.jpeg

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@martyg ... Q3, not Q5. Presumably even more of a challenge.

I had already drilled a new set of holes in the bottom of the box for a previous car. On this one I was able to make it work by just moving the rack crossbars as far forward as possible.

View attachment 85927 View attachment 85928 View attachment 85929 View attachment 85930

Thanks. My crossbars and rails are detented to accept the rails at certain points, so I can't easily mount them in a more forward position.

I think that I found that answer with INNO boxes. They have a aero lookimng model that doesn't look like a garbage can on top of the Audi.

Sponsor

Staff online