• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^I have not packed it yet, but I know it will work for my purposes (skis, poles, small pack/vest).

I'm busy at work today, but will pull it out tonight and have a go at packing it to see what I can fit, including boots. I'll take some pics, as well.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you able to pack out the Snow Roller Light version and see if it still provides enough protection while holding all your gear?
Does it fit skis with boots and some extras or is that too ambitious and would require the original larger version?
If possible, it'd be great if you could take some photos of it packed out.
Sorry for the delay, been a busy couple of days.

This was a useful exercise, as frankly when I received the bag, I quickly glanced it over to make sure it was undamaged, that it was the correct weight, and that the depth was what I desired. I didn't really go over it in close detail. Remember, my plan is for the bag to hold three pairs of skis without bindings along with one set of poles and a small avy backpack/vest. Nothing more.

Packing it out this evening, I realize that I DO NOT like this light version at all. This is because there is no protection when compared to the full-sized version along the side/top portion of the bag. That is to say that the edges of the ski tips will be very susceptible to damage. The original, on the contrary, has a thicker material that is lined with padding along this portion of the bag, and I've never had any concern as far as damage goes. In the light version, however, a large portion of the top of the bag (as I show in the second photo) is simply a thin layer of canvas-like material.

I will be returning this bag and perhaps replacing it with another full-sized model. I'm quite disappointed that they didn't make this bag with the same robust construction, only in a slimmed-down version. I think the original is great, and was only trying to cut out some weight.

As far as size, you can definitely fit one pair of skis (w/bindings) in the bag along with boots and other essentials. Two pairs of skis is tight, although doable. I never travel with my boots in the ski bag, but if I did, I wouldn't want to add boots to a 2-ski configuration.

Sorry for the rough photos, wanted to make sure I posted something. If you have any other questions, I'll have this bag until tomorrow when I bring it to the post office to return.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 128

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at their website, I see they want the Snow Roller Light to be packed with the skis on edge and I'm guessing that is why they skimped on the material along the sides of the bag.

Nevertheless, I am having a hard time imagining that my skis would stay in that position, unless of course I stuffed the bag with all of my clothes and other items to fill up the loose space. I guess that might work, but it doesn't jibe with the way I travel. I carry on all my clothes, my boots, and my helmet, and the ski bag gets skis, poles, and a small avy pack. I fly quite a bit to ski, and have a lot of experience with delayed baggage. I don't mind grabbing a pair of demo skis for a day, but clothing and, most important of all, boots... well, I want my own.

Attachments

• ezgif-5-053ba7d249.jpg
    ezgif-5-053ba7d249.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 125

dlit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sorry for the delay, been a busy couple of days.

This was a useful exercise, as frankly when I received the bag, I quickly glanced it over to make sure it was undamaged, that it was the correct weight, and that the depth was what I desired. I didn't really go over it in close detail. Remember, my plan is for the bag to hold three pairs of skis without bindings along with one set of poles and a small avy backpack/vest. Nothing more.

Packing it out this evening, I realize that I DO NOT like this light version at all. This is because there is no protection when compared to the full-sized version along the side/top portion of the bag. That is to say that the edges of the ski tips will be very susceptible to damage. The original, on the contrary, has a thicker material that is lined with padding along this portion of the bag, and I've never had any concern as far as damage goes. In the light version, however, a large portion of the top of the bag (as I show in the second photo) is simply a thin layer of canvas-like material.

I will be returning this bag and perhaps replacing it with another full-sized model. I'm quite disappointed that they didn't make this bag with the same robust construction, only in a slimmed-down version. I think the original is great, and was only trying to cut out some weight.

As far as size, you can definitely fit one pair of skis (w/bindings) in the bag along with boots and other essentials. Two pairs of skis is tight, although doable. I never travel with my boots in the ski bag, but if I did, I wouldn't want to add boots to a 2-ski configuration.

Sorry for the rough photos, wanted to make sure I posted something. If you have any other questions, I'll have this bag until tomorrow when I bring it to the post office to return.
Looking at their website, I see they want the Snow Roller Light to be packed with the skis on edge and I'm guessing that is why they skimped on the material along the sides of the bag.

Nevertheless, I am having a hard time imagining that my skis would stay in that position, unless of course I stuffed the bag with all of my clothes and other items to fill up the loose space. I guess that might work, but it doesn't jibe with the way I travel. I carry on all my clothes, my boots, and my helmet, and the ski bag gets skis, poles, and a small avy pack. I fly quite a bit to ski, and have a lot of experience with delayed baggage. I don't mind grabbing a pair of demo skis for a day, but clothing and, most important of all, boots... well, I want my own.
No worries, there wasn't any urgency and it didn't feel like any delay at all.

That's super helpful to know how it compares with the original full sized version and what actually fits inside. From what you've said, it sounds like the light 70L version really is geared less toward actual air travel and perhaps more so local land travel. That minimal protection is definitely concerning as it doesn't seem like it even has the "rib cage" construction that they seem to tout as what sets them apart from other bags.

I haven't had any issues with checking in my boots inside my current non-roller bag thus far (knock on wood) but I've definitely got much less mileage flying around with my gear than you. If the original "pro" version really lives up to its name and price with all the bells and whistles, I may follow suit and just get one of those then.

Do you usually bring multiple carryons then, one for boots and etc ski gear, and the rest of your clothes/misc? or is it just a bigger carryon compliant bag that stuffs everything inside?

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's super helpful to know how it compares with the original full sized version and what actually fits inside. From what you've said, it sounds like the light 70L version really is geared less toward actual air travel and perhaps more so local land travel. That minimal protection is definitely concerning as it doesn't seem like it even has the "rib cage" construction that they seem to tout as what sets them apart from other bags.

I haven't had any issues with checking in my boots inside my current non-roller bag thus far (knock on wood) but I've definitely got much less mileage flying around with my gear than you. If the original "pro" version really lives up to its name and price with all the bells and whistles, I may follow suit and just get one of those then.

Do you usually bring multiple carryons then, one for boots and etc ski gear, and the rest of your clothes/misc? or is it just a bigger carryon compliant bag that stuffs everything inside?
It is plausible that this is geared more towards a weekend getaway rather than a long trip via airline. I like my original bag, what they now call the Snow Roller Pro 127L. Its construction is robust, it is spacious (two pairs of skis along with extras), and I love how it rolls up for storage. The only gripe I have is that the detachable handle will often come unhooked on one side (one side has quick-release clips and the other doesn't), but that is often mitigated by making sure the bag is rolled tightly. The light version also rolls up, but it doesn't have that some "bombproof" feeling as the original.

I carry one bag, the Kulkea Käydä Travel backpack. There is another thread where it has been discussed at length, but suffice to say I think it is nearly perfect. I can fit all of my ski clothes, my street clothes, my boots, my toiletries, my laptop, and then attach my helmet to the outside. Because it is a backpack-style, and not the traditional boot-bag, it fits easily in overheads on all but the smallest of planes. I will stipulate, however, that I am a longtime "one bag travel" advocate. I've learned to travel light and fast!

dlit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It is plausible that this is geared more towards a weekend getaway rather than a long trip via airline. I like my original bag, what they now call the Snow Roller Pro 127L. Its construction is robust, it is spacious (two pairs of skis along with extras), and I love how it rolls up for storage. The only gripe I have is that the detachable handle will often come unhooked on one side (one side has quick-release clips and the other doesn't), but that is often mitigated by making sure the bag is rolled tightly. The light version also rolls up, but it doesn't have that some "bombproof" feeling as the original.

I carry one bag, the Kulkea Käydä Travel backpack. There is another thread where it has been discussed at length, but suffice to say I think it is nearly perfect. I can fit all of my ski clothes, my street clothes, my boots, my toiletries, my laptop, and then attach my helmet to the outside. Because it is a backpack-style, and not the traditional boot-bag, it fits easily in overheads on all but the smallest of planes. I will stipulate, however, that I am a longtime "one bag travel" advocate. I've learned to travel light and fast!
I'm the same, prefer to "onebag" travel as much as possible which is why I was hoping the light version might be able to hold most of the ski gear while providing enough protection, so that my carryon could hold more general clothing and other goods without feeling too bulky or unwieldy, especially on longer trips. It's always a game of balance between the bare necessities and comfort.

Thanks again for the writeup and photos, it's helped my decision and given a few more things to research and think about!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I'm the same, prefer to "onebag" travel as much as possible which is why I was hoping the light version might be able to hold most of the ski gear while providing enough protection, so that my carryon could hold more general clothing and other goods without feeling too bulky or unwieldy, especially on longer trips. It's always a game of balance between the bare necessities and comfort.

Thanks again for the writeup and photos, it's helped my decision and given a few more things to research and think about!
The Kantaja Single and Double Roller Ski Bags by KULKEA are both very protective, carry a lot and made from durable materials. We recommend carrying your ski boots and apparel (plus laptop) via carry-on in a Käydä or Kartta long haul backpack and packing your regular clothing in your ski bag. Or, you could switch which goes in the carry-on vs. checked in the ski bag. Me, I personally don't like to any chance on losing my ski boots or apparel via luggage check. Check out travel collection here. https://www.kulkea.com/travel-lifestyle/

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Stumbled into this thread while looking for a roller bag for ski travel that can handle boots and some clothing while most of my stuff is in my ski bag. The Kuleka Kartta travel boot bag looks great- anyone have this and can reflect on actual use? I'd like to get non-ski travel use out of it too, so any comments on that would be great too.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
The Kartta is new this season, but it's built on the Käydä platform which has been in use for several seasons receiving rave reviews from ski travelers. It'll carry your boots, ski pants, base layers, mid and top layers, as well as your gloves, laptop and more. It'll also work very well for non-ski travel too, as does the Käydä.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stumbled into this thread while looking for a roller bag for ski travel that can handle boots and some clothing while most of my stuff is in my ski bag. The Kuleka Kartta travel boot bag looks great- anyone have this and can reflect on actual use? I'd like to get non-ski travel use out of it too, so any comments on that would be great too.

I'm a big fan of the Kulkea boot bags. My wife and I both use the Käydä and our son has the Kartta. They are similar, but have a few important differences.

We travel quite a bit to ski, and in my opinion the Käydä is by far the best bag for "one-bag" ski travel that I've found. It fits all of my gear -- except skis, poles, and avy pack -- to include boots, ski clothes, regular clothes, laptop, reader, and toiletries, all in a size and manner that allow it to fit easily in all but the tiniest overhead compartments. The only thing it is missing is a heat element (which I hope they will someday add).

This season we purchased the Kartta for our son, and it is actually roomier than the Käydä with a material that is still robust but slightly more flexible. What it lacks, however, is the 5L Travel Kit of the Käydä. For my son, this works fine because he is traveling with us and we tend to share a lot of toiletry items. But for a normal adult, I would say the Käydä is the way to go. That pouch makes all the difference when you want to use this bag as your only bag, and aside from toiletries it also fits my reader and all my cords.

I think both bags would work just fine as non-ski travel bags, and in fact, my wife has a pack from Peak Design (I think? I could check...) from several years ago that is practically the exact same design, to the point you would be hard to discern it from the Kulkea bags at first glance. I mean they are really similar.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks, @salvatore (and Kulkea!)- appreciate your insight. The Kayda looks great, but is a bit more than I want to spend. I can see how the travel kit would be helpful, but I think the Kartta will be enough for me when traveling with skis. When not, I'm usually on Southwest in the states and can take a roller bag too if needed.

Last edited:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @salvatore (and Kulkea!)- appreciate your insight. The Kayda looks great, but is a bit more than I want to spend. I can see how the travel kit would be helpful, but I think the Kartta will be enough for me when traveling with skis. When not, I'm usually on Southwest in the states and can take a roller bag too if needed.
Yeah, the price difference is considerable, and in fact that's why we went with the Kartta for our son. It was a good decision.

I'm all about simplicity, so one bag is all I want. If you are open to the possibility of putting some items in your ski bag -- something I never do as the airlines have so frequently decided to separate me from my checked luggage for a day or two -- then the Kartta is perfect. Another bag is obviously an option, as well, although I think you'd be surprised at how much you can fit in the Kartta.

The biggest selling point for me is probably the fact that since the boots lay flat, getting the bag in the overhead is never a problem. With the other style of boot bag, overheads can be problematic, especially on smaller planes.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah, the price difference is considerable, and in fact that's why we went with the Kartta for our son. It was a good decision.

I'm all about simplicity, so one bag is all I want. If you are open to the possibility of putting some items in your ski bag -- something I never do as the airlines have so frequently decided to separate me from my checked luggage for a day or two -- then the Kartta is perfect. Another bag is obviously an option, as well, although I think you'd be surprised at how much you can fit in the Kartta.

The biggest selling point for me is probably the fact that since the boots lay flat, getting the bag in the overhead is never a problem. With the other style of boot bag, overheads can be problematic, especially on smaller planes.
I have a Dakine ski sleeve which has plenty of extra space when it's just me. I'm good with packing clothing in there if I can get one set of everything I need for one day on the slopes in the carry on, just in case the bag gets lost. It looks like I'll be able to do that. When traveling with my son I can fit his kids skis in the sleeve with mine, but then we'll need a second bag anyway for him.

The clincher for me is the helmet sling, letting me replace a roller bag and a backpack with this one bag. I'll slip the helmet out on the plane, but I don't have to lose interior space for it. The last plane to Gunnison, CO is pretty small, so getting the size down is useful. Maybe in the future we get a second for him, or I get the Kayda for myself. He's small enough to prefer a roller bag to a big backpack at this point. And kids carrying their own stuff through an airport is key to survival. :)

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Dakine ski sleeve which has plenty of extra space when it's just me. I'm good with packing clothing in there if I can get one set of everything I need for one day on the slopes in the carry on, just in case the bag gets lost. It looks like I'll be able to do that. When traveling with my son I can fit his kids skis in the sleeve with mine, but then we'll need a second bag anyway for him.

The clincher for me is the helmet sling, letting me replace a roller bag and a backpack with this one bag. I'll slip the helmet out on the plane, but I don't have to lose interior space for it. The last plane to Gunnison, CO is pretty small, so getting the size down is useful. Maybe in the future we get a second for him, or I get the Kayda for myself. He's small enough to prefer a roller bag to a big backpack at this point. And kids carrying their own stuff through an airport is key to survival. :)
I've convinced my son now that anytime he's carrying something heavy it's cross-training and he's building leg strength!

Yeah, that's exactly what I do with the helmet and it is a nice feature.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been debating a new ski bag for this season. I didn't REALLY need a new bag, but my current Dakine is getting pretty beat up and while it's functional, the lack of tie downs and a divider isn't ideal. I've been casually keeping an eye out for a decent deal on one of the bags I thought might work for me, and found a store that carries the Kulkea Kantaja double roller where I had a gift card and another discount i could access, so I pulled the trigger.

I just got back from my first trip with the bag and it did great. The size was perfect for the two pairs of skis (188cm and 187cm). The bag is listed as 195cm, but it felt just right for my skis and was a pretty snug fit. It expands an extra 10cm, so it would be fine in that expanded state for longer skis, but might struggle with a true 200+ cm ski. I packed the bag with my bindings retracted and the skis top sheet to top sheet with bases facing out towards the bottom and top of the bag. The tie down straps were the perfect length to pack the skis this way and the divider kept them separated. The bag seems like it has pretty good structure to it even without skis inside, and in this configuration, the bag was super solid with the thickly padded exterior being supported by the skis. Weight of the bag is about 10lbs, and with two pairs of fairly heavy skis with metal bindings, it was still comfortably under the weight limit. I packed my son's 165cm skis in there too (bases to the sides with top sheet / bindings facing towards the center of the bag) and they fit comfortably, and weight with that third pair was approx. 55lbs (which was fine given I have a 70lb limit with my airline status).

I'm very happy with the purchase. I've had a couple of bags from Dakine and one from Ogio, and this is head and shoulders ahead of those in terms of quality and design. Highly recommended.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I had been debating a new ski bag for this season. I didn't REALLY need a new bag, but my current Dakine is getting pretty beat up and while it's functional, the lack of tie downs and a divider isn't ideal. I've been casually keeping an eye out for a decent deal on one of the bags I thought might work for me, and found a store that carries the Kulkea Kantaja double roller where I had a gift card and another discount i could access, so I pulled the trigger.

I just got back from my first trip with the bag and it did great. The size was perfect for the two pairs of skis (188cm and 187cm). The bag is listed as 195cm, but it felt just right for my skis and was a pretty snug fit. It expands an extra 10cm, so it would be fine in that expanded state for longer skis, but might struggle with a true 200+ cm ski. I packed the bag with my bindings retracted and the skis top sheet to top sheet with bases facing out towards the bottom and top of the bag. The tie down straps were the perfect length to pack the skis this way and the divider kept them separated. The bag seems like it has pretty good structure to it even without skis inside, and in this configuration, the bag was super solid with the thickly padded exterior being supported by the skis. Weight of the bag is about 10lbs, and with two pairs of fairly heavy skis with metal bindings, it was still comfortably under the weight limit. I packed my son's 165cm skis in there too (bases to the sides with top sheet / bindings facing towards the center of the bag) and they fit comfortably, and weight with that third pair was approx. 55lbs (which was fine given I have a 70lb limit with my airline status).

I'm very happy with the purchase. I've had a couple of bags from Dakine and one from Ogio, and this is head and shoulders ahead of those in terms of quality and design. Highly recommended.
Thanks for noticing the extra quality we add to our products. All products look great online in pictures, but once you touch and look closely at a KULKEA product those details we take care of become apparent. We're brand building, not pushing products. Thanks again!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor

Carry-on easy is exactly why we designed the Kartta and Käydä bags. The way we shaped the bags and the fact there are no wheels systems also means additional volume. Not to mention that a backpack is a lot more efficient than a roller bag if you're pulling a roller ski bag or trudging through winter weather or over cobblestones, etc.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Carry-on easy is exactly why we designed the Kartta and Käydä bags. The way we shaped the bags and the fact there are no wheels systems also means additional volume. Not to mention that a backpack is a lot more efficient than a roller bag if you're pulling a roller ski bag or trudging through winter weather or over cobblestones, etc.
Hey- got my Kartta yesterday and love it! Looking forward on using it extensively over the next 6 months. One question- when you say that the water bottle holder is Magnetic, what does that mean? I don't think I see or feel magnets in there, but it does seem to hold bottles with more tenacity than many backpacks.

Sponsor