RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Chez Ziggy' started by graham418, Jun 8, 2018.

1. graham418

graham418 Out on the slopes Skier

With great sadness I read about Anthony Bourdains passing. I will miss his shows, he had a irreverent take on the whole scene that was refreshing. And a great way to tour the world , eating and seeing different cultures.
    It is unfortunate too that it takes the untimely deaths of some celebrities to bring the issues of mental health to the fore.

Mendieta likes this.
  2. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl Instructor, Jeep Wrangler driver and winter lover Skier

Connecticut but I'm really a Vermont girl
    I'm really heartbroken. I really enjoyed him, bringing the world together in food, drink in interesting places with that wonderful personality of his. He was cool, badass and just funny, so funny. I'm sorry for any turmoil he was going through and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

3. Plai

Plai Paul Lai Skier

+1 on enjoying his books and tv. Really like how he didn't do the ordinary fluff pieces for the travel. And he had the courage to go to unsafe places. One episode was to lebebnon and he had to be airlifted to war ship because civil war broke out. Wow!

4. CalG

CalG Getting off the lift Skier

I had never heard of the fellow. And in a day or two, I never will..

Such is life.

5. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Whiteroom Pugski Sponsor

Take it from me- sometimes you just shouldn't post things. I'm going to leave it at that.

6. James

James Making fresh tracks Instructor

I saw that one on Beirut. Went way beyond food. Really changed how I thought about his show. It was impressive he brought in what was going on in the city and with the people.
    Then the one in Vietnam where he meets Obama on the street and they go eat at a dive and O talks about growing up in Indonesia.
    He definitely had a gift in talking to people.
    Very sad. He has an 11 yr old kid.

skix likes this.
  7. Pumba

Pumba Out on the slopes Skier

loved Anthony Bourdain. Any food lover should. He brought a new socially conscious and critical viewpoint to the food/travel genre. I’m not sure who else can measure up these days. He was one of a kind, a rare dying breed. We will definitely miss him.

8. Eric267

Eric267 Gettin after it Skier

Kitchen confidential was a great book but his second, A Cook's tour was maybe my favorite book of all time. When I read it I remember being transformed to the places he was, the smells, the tastes, the emotion he felt. I ended up traveling to San Sebastián Spain a few years after because of how it made me feel reading about it.

Not long after culinary school I was working in a kitchen with a 6 day work week that ended with a brunch on Sunday. It was the dreaded shift after an already full week. We would leave Saturday around midnight after getting our asses kicked then having to be back in around 7:00am.

What kept all us young cooks going through the day was knowing that our favorite show was on after our shift. That show was Anthony Bourdains a Cook's tour. The book we had passed around like a dirty magazine had now been turned into his first show on the food network. We would empty the walk-in of whatever wouldn't make it till service on Tuesday, go to the store and stock up on booze, then head to my buddy's house to have a party and watch the show.

It's crazy to think of now 15 years later with Netflix, Apple TV, and the Internet having everything at your fingertips. Back then we were a bunch of broke ski bum chefs and only my buddy had full cable with the food network. If you missed the party you didn't know if or when you would get to see the show.

Funny how something like death can make you feel sadness but also trigger great memories like this that haven't been thought about in forever.

Rip Anthony Bourdain

During this episode you could have heard a pin drop.

pete, Mendieta, skix and 2 others like this.
  9. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Near the beginning, "I'll risk everything; I have nothing to lose."