• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RIP Anthony Bourdain

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With great sadness I read about Anthony Bourdains passing. I will miss his shows, he had a irreverent take on the whole scene that was refreshing. And a great way to tour the world , eating and seeing different cultures.
It is unfortunate too that it takes the untimely deaths of some celebrities to bring the issues of mental health to the fore.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm really heartbroken. I really enjoyed him, bringing the world together in food, drink in interesting places with that wonderful personality of his. He was cool, badass and just funny, so funny. I'm sorry for any turmoil he was going through and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on enjoying his books and tv. Really like how he didn't do the ordinary fluff pieces for the travel. And he had the courage to go to unsafe places. One episode was to lebebnon and he had to be airlifted to war ship because civil war broke out. Wow!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I had never heard of the fellow. And in a day or two, I never will..

Such is life.

James

Out There
Instructor
+1 on enjoying his books and tv. Really like how he didn't do the ordinary fluff pieces for the travel. And he had the courage to go to unsafe places. One episode was to lebebnon and he had to be airlifted to war ship because civil war broke out. Wow!
I saw that one on Beirut. Went way beyond food. Really changed how I thought about his show. It was impressive he brought in what was going on in the city and with the people.
Then the one in Vietnam where he meets Obama on the street and they go eat at a dive and O talks about growing up in Indonesia.
He definitely had a gift in talking to people.
Very sad. He has an 11 yr old kid.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
loved Anthony Bourdain. Any food lover should. He brought a new socially conscious and critical viewpoint to the food/travel genre. I’m not sure who else can measure up these days. He was one of a kind, a rare dying breed. We will definitely miss him.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Kitchen confidential was a great book but his second, A Cook's tour was maybe my favorite book of all time. When I read it I remember being transformed to the places he was, the smells, the tastes, the emotion he felt. I ended up traveling to San Sebastián Spain a few years after because of how it made me feel reading about it.

Not long after culinary school I was working in a kitchen with a 6 day work week that ended with a brunch on Sunday. It was the dreaded shift after an already full week. We would leave Saturday around midnight after getting our asses kicked then having to be back in around 7:00am.

What kept all us young cooks going through the day was knowing that our favorite show was on after our shift. That show was Anthony Bourdains a Cook's tour. The book we had passed around like a dirty magazine had now been turned into his first show on the food network. We would empty the walk-in of whatever wouldn't make it till service on Tuesday, go to the store and stock up on booze, then head to my buddy's house to have a party and watch the show.

It's crazy to think of now 15 years later with Netflix, Apple TV, and the Internet having everything at your fingertips. Back then we were a bunch of broke ski bum chefs and only my buddy had full cable with the food network. If you missed the party you didn't know if or when you would get to see the show.

Funny how something like death can make you feel sadness but also trigger great memories like this that haven't been thought about in forever.

Rip Anthony Bourdain

During this episode you could have heard a pin drop.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Kitchen confidential was a great book but his second, A Cook's tour was maybe my favorite book of all time. When I read it I remember being transformed to the places he was, the smells, the tastes, the emotion he felt. I ended up traveling to San Sebastián Spain a few years after because of how it made me feel reading about it.

Not long after culinary school I was working in a kitchen with a 6 day work week that ended with a brunch on Sunday. It was the dreaded shift after an already full week. We would leave Saturday around midnight after getting our asses kicked then having to be back in around 7:00am.

What kept all us young cooks going through the day was knowing that our favorite show was on after our shift. That show was Anthony Bourdains a Cook's tour. The book we had passed around like a dirty magazine had now been turned into his first show on the food network. We would empty the walk-in of whatever wouldn't make it till service on Tuesday, go to the store and stock up on booze, then head to my buddy's house to have a party and watch the show.

It's crazy to think of now 15 years later with Netflix, Apple TV, and the Internet having everything at your fingertips. Back then we were a bunch of broke ski bum chefs and only my buddy had full cable with the food network. If you missed the party you didn't know if or when you would get to see the show.

Funny how something like death can make you feel sadness but also trigger great memories like this that haven't been thought about in forever.

Rip Anthony Bourdain

During this episode you could have heard a pin drop.
Near the beginning, "I'll risk everything; I have nothing to lose."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anthony Bourdain Day was on his birthday June 25th, just a few days ago.
I just saw this post and feel its something to share.

Eat at a local restaurant tonight. Get the cream sauce. Have a cold pint at 4 o’clock in a mostly empty bar. Go somewhere you’ve never been. Listen to someone you think may have nothing in common with you. Order the steak rare. Eat an oyster. Have a negroni. Have two. Be open to a world where you may not understand or agree with the person next to you, but have a drink with them anyways. Eat slowly. Tip your server. Check in on your friends. Check in on yourself. Enjoy the ride.
Happy Bourdain Day

Sponsor

Staff online