• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Revelstoke

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
We're on day four today. It started snowing Sunday as all the holiday crowds left. It has snowed 20+ cm per day over the last two days. Things are filling in very nicely. At the base the snow falling has been pretty wet bordering on rain at times - but it is building the base. Up top it is creamy rather than champagne powder and today it was consistently knee deep. Very few scraped off sections.

We have been skiing to the base via pitch black (all except the very last pitch which is probably fine, just looks like a bit of muesli at the top of the last pitch). The very bottom of the cat track was pretty horrible today though. Very compacted and grippy snow.

The trees are in good shape for skiing. Although judging by the amount of ski patrol activity today the landings have been a bit firmer than many thought.

Finally, I can confirm that the bathrooms at the bottom of stoke are flush, clean and have running hot water, soap, hand towels and dryers.

And some pictures. Not too sure of which is which, but I think that these are from monkey bars, back 40 and tally ho.
20180107_085546_014_01.jpg 20180107_082831-1.jpg 20180109_085513.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing. I may travel there later this winter and know very little about the town or ski area.
Will likely be skiing solo there and a bit concerned about wandering around alone in the endless frontside glades. Are they fairly regularly trafficked by other skiers/boarders?

TS
RNZ

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Hi Jim

Bearing in mind that I have only skied glades for 10 or so seasons since all skiing in New Zealand is above the tree-line, I have a few observations.that might help. Yes there are people regularly skiing / riding the glades. It seems that that is where most people head. However, it is not crowded and the trees are well spaced so you see people but are not competing for the same space. I am pretty sure that we have seen ski patrol in there patrolling as well.

A lot of the glades seem to open out as you go further down. The glades in the North Bowl seem to have a small cliff band running through near the top but it is easily navigated or can be avoided by dropping in a bit lower down.

We have been impressed with the signage in the glades that point out major hazards and help you keep oriented with respect to the lifts.

There seems to be a very high proportion of very competent skiers here, relative to some other places we've been but that might be related to the Freeride World Tour qualifier that is on here at the moment. It will be interesting to see what it is like next week.

I only have a tablet rather than the laptop with me so remind me if I forget and I will add more detailed thoughts on the mountain and the town when we get hone on the 20th January.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Revys a big hill...and a really fun hill....lots to explore...lots to vert...and long runs....but it does get big snowfalls and thus does have tree well risk. Most runs/glades are fine but I've also been on lots where traffic can be sparse....depends on the day and conditions. The glades to the right and left off the Ripper chair are popular as are the ones off the Stoke.

Its always best to ski with a buddy in trees but I know sometimes that doesn't always happen. I myself have taken late day runs solo because my ski buddies have packed it in for the day. I love the trees in between/around Hot Sauce and Jalapeño but I remember skiing a lot more carefully since I was solo and there was literally no one on that side/area of the hill at that time of the day.

If you are solo I'd check in with patrol at the beginning of the day to see how bad the tree well risk is -they also can provide suggestions on the current glade areas that are lower risk/more trafficked at that time. You can also buddy up on the gondola....most ppl are willing to bring a solo skier into the fold.

I'd also recommend the free mountain tour offered by the ski school 12:30 every day to get your bearings. From the Revy website:

"First time skiing or riding at Revelstoke Mountain Resort? We offer free mountain tours daily at 12:30pm! Meet at the trail map signs next to Mackenzie Outpost at the top of the Revelation Gondola. A Snow School pro will show you how to get to and from the Ripper Chair, and the easiest route down to Revelation Lodge. Skiers and riders should be of an intermediate skill level and comfortable on blue terrain to participate."

I also recommend their Inside Tracks program. Basically a 2 day program either on mon-tues or thurs-fri where they take you to all the good places on the hill. Very reasonable cost too. ($228)

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
The town also has an excellent large indoor pool/Aquatic Center ( lazy river you float through, waterfalls, water basketball, waterslide, climbing/bouldering wall where you fall right into the pool, sauna, hot tub etc. Well worth going after a hard ski day.

Great hostel just up the street from the Waterpark called The Cube..stayed there many times. They have dorms and privates. Clean with good facilities. I like it better than the Samesun Hostel.

Have also stayed across the street at the Powder Springs Inn...reasonable rates too. Houses The Last Drop Pub...go there for a beer or 4.
Alternatively stay at the Regent...right downtown too..drink or two in the River City

Don't forget the Village Idiot, Big Eddy as well for grub and drinks

Traverse is the place if you are looking for the club scene.

All of these are right downtown in a good central location very close walking distance to Waterpark and bars/restaurant's. That's why I prefer to stay right downtown rather than outside in the highyway/motel zone.

You can also stay (and pay a lot more! ) on hill at the Sutton Place. Regardless if you want to hit the on-hill après scene...goto the Rockwater or the Mackenzie for a bevie!

Lots of choices!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
The town also has an excellent large indoor pool/Aquatic Center ( lazy river you float through, waterfalls, water basketball, waterslide, climbing/bouldering wall where you fall right into the pool, sauna, hot tub etc. Well worth going after a hard ski day.

Great hostel just up the street from the Waterpark called The Cube..stayed there many times. They have dorms and privates. Clean with good facilities. I like it better than the Samesun Hostel.

Have also stayed across the street at the Powder Springs Inn...reasonable rates too. Houses The Last Drop Pub...go there for a beer or 4.
Alternatively stay at the Regent...right downtown too..drink or two in the River City

Don't forget the Village Idiot, Big Eddy as well for grub and drinks

Traverse is the place if you are looking for the club scene.

All of these are right downtown in a good central location very close walking distance to Waterpark and bars/restaurant's. That's why I prefer to stay right downtown rather than outside in the highyway/motel zone.

You can also stay (and pay a lot more! ) on hill at the Sutton Place. Regardless if you want to hit the on-hill après scene...goto the Rockwater or the Mackenzie for a bevie!

Lots of choices!

Also I can recommend the Stoke Stash B&B - great rooms, delicious breakfast and all for about $60 or so per person. They have a deal for lift tickets too if you don't have Mountain Collective - I think last year it was about $110 or $120 per person per night for accommodation and lift ticket.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the good feedback in this thread. :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online