• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning to the sport ski recommendations for small person

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys. I am returning to skiing after a 30 year hiatus. I skied a few times 2017 and once or twice in the years before. I am 72 years old, 5'6", 125 lbs, and quite fit for my age. I lived in & the skied the Aspen areas for 13 years, 30+ years ago. I plan to ski in the West - Montana, Oregon, hopefully BC. I would call myself an advanced skier (am I looney?). I have read several reviews of the Nordica Enforcer 100 and wonder if it would be suitable for me, and what size? 169 cm is the smallest size in that ski. Thanks for your input. Rick

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site and welcome back to the sport. While the Enforcer 100 has received many accolades, incuding outs I don't think it woutl be a good place to start for you as a ski. For someone of your size that 100mm underfoot is akin to a 110mm for the "average" sized male skier and as a first ski, it would not be one I would recemmend for someone coming back into the sport as a first and maybe only ski. With that said, if you are looking for the attributes of the Enforcer 100 and would consider narrower choices Nordica does offer the Enforcer in a 93, but that shortest length is also a 169. A ski that also has some of the Enforcer characterists is the new Navigator collection. the Navigators have the forebody of the Enforcer but a flatter tail that is better on firmer condtions and groomers, yet pretty good off piste. The Navigator 85 or 90 would be where I would start. Another ski that we really like is the Armada Invictus 89Ti or even the Invictus 93. All of these skis are viable options for a lighter skier.

TS
W

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier
Well, actually I live in Maui, so I will be traveling to ski. Whitepine is an old nickname among a small group of friends. I boated the Middle Fork some years ago and I loved that country. Where do you ski?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
welcome back to the sport and enjoy the season...Philpug knows of what he speaks and his recommendations are great.

JP

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whitepine, wow Maui. Ski most early season at Lookout Pass, then Silver Mt. a little at Schweitzer,Whitefish and powder triangle in BC. The main thing here is lack of crowds, good snow and cheap.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My son is about your height but somewhat heavier. He hopped on a DPS Uschi (it's a women's ski and it's pink/purple) and really did well on it on a lousy condition day. What conditions are you planning on skiing? Looking for an "all mountain" ski or a 80-20 on-piste/off-piste? I'm sure whatever @Philpug suggests will be great. He's forgotten more than the rest of us will probably ever know about skis!

TS
W

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the site and welcome back to the sport. While the Enforcer 100 has received many accolades, incuding outs I don't think it woutl be a good place to start for you as a ski. For someone of your size that 100mm underfoot is akin to a 110mm for the "average" sized male skier and as a first ski, it would not be one I would recemmend for someone coming back into the sport as a first and maybe only ski. With that said, if you are looking for the attributes of the Enforcer 100 and would consider narrower choices Nordica does offer the Enforcer in a 93, but that shortest length is also a 169. A ski that also has some of the Enforcer characterists is the new Navigator collection. the Navigators have the forebody of the Enforcer but a flatter tail that is better on firmer condtions and groomers, yet pretty good off piste. The Navigator 85 or 90 would be where I would start. Another ski that we really like is the Armada Invictus 89Ti or even the Invictus 93. All of these skis are viable options for a lighter skier.
Phil, thanks for this. Perhaps a woman's ski would suit me better due to my weight and because shorter lengths are available. Like the Armada trace 98, the Atomic vantage 95, Blizzard black pearl 98? I see the Nordica santa ana 100 now has two metal sheets; would this be too stiff for me?

TS
W

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier
My wife is also starting skiing again. She likes to ski slow and in control, but used to take on intermediate and advanced runs. She is 5'0" and #140 and strong. I'm looking for skis for her and wonder if she could go longer than her height (5'0" = 152cm)?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some very good unisex skis that come down into shorter lengths. The skis that you mentioned would all be fine options too. The Head Kore 93 is another that comes to mind it is available in a 162 and also, the Armada Invictus 95 would be a great option in a 167

TS
W

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier

Phil; thanks for your prompt reply in November and please excuse my very late update. In January I bought a pair of Atomic Vantage 95C, 162 cm, and Salomon XPro 90 boots. My wife and I had a very successful return to skiing. We skied at Whitefish, Montana Snowbowl, a day at Mount Hood Meadows, and a few weeks later, skied at Fernie; about 20 days total. It snowed plenty the whole time, and we were very happy to get back into skiing. I shopped at Evo in Seattle - and I paid about 1/2 list price on the skis, bindings, boots etc. I think the shopping was more exhausting than the skiing! Thanks so much for your help and I really enjoy your website. Happy skiing!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Whitepine great to hear!

surprised no one recommended Demo ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Whitepine great to hear!

surprised no one recommended Demo ogsmile
Honestly, he wasn't qualified to demo, getting back into the sport after a 30 yeat hiatus, all he would have felt was the difference. We helped him avoid the wrong skis and what he ended up with was perfect.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always something to learn here!

Sponsor

Staff online