• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's quite high and long. The hotronics plug is sort of clunky big, but not that large. Does the exit point kink or fold the cable at all at or just above the heel of your footbed ? Does it cause any discomfort?
It hasn’t folded, kinked, or caused me any issues. On the install in my stock liners I ran it out in the arch, past the ankle and up the back. I didn’t pull the footbed out to check but will ski Alta closing day and then address it. I am guessing the bottom of the footbed will have a new channel running the length of the footbed.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I don't understand the positioning of that cut either. It's quite high and seems to be in "no man's land"; not coming straight out of the heel, nor coming out at the arch (like Start Haus does it). It's just in a really weird spot. My cables come out at a height that is lower than the top edge of my footbeds. That cut is so high that I would think that some of the cable is directly touching some part of your foot before it exits the liner.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's also a T-Rex tape now.
IMG_6385.JPG

https://www.trextape.com/products/t-rex-tape/gunmetal-gray-188-in-x-35-yd

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually use gaffer's tape down the spine of my boots + the silicone spray. Also critical is to smooth the areas of the interior shell that may cause friction or tears of the liner. So liberal use of sandpaper is the right play.

As to a repair that may last on the wear areas of these liners... I have never tried this myself, but I have some leather repair "bonder" that I've used on furniture that seems to be incredibly durable. I'm thinking that liberal use of this coupled with a heavy dose of silicone may do the trick. The repair must be flexible and strong. I can see why tape wouldn't survive on the liner in these spots. I have gaffer's tape up the back of my liners to cover my heater cables, but that's not a high wear area. The heel would probably be too difficult for tape to work.

I finally got some gaffers tape for exactly this purpose based on @Noodler s recommendation here https://www.pugski.com/threads/long...-1700-b-boot-heaters.13202/page-2#post-308202 and I have to stay, I like it MUCH better than duct tape, which leaves gooey residue everywhere and curls up on the edge. The original material they used to cover the spine hardware had come off, so I put a smooth single run of the tape from the very top of the boot to below the zeppa, so there is hopefully no edge to rub on and curl up. I’ll think about sandpaper as well.

I’ve also used gaffer tape a couple times to seal the instep boot flap to stop leaking based on @James recommendation. It works well for this too & then comes off clean at the end of the day. I’ve found it works better to put the instep piece on first and then go across the toe box.

Re: repairing zipfits, I’ve used silicone to reattach edges of the sole to the upper and then covered that with an iron-on seam tape (low heat!) I had originally thought I would just use the seam tape to hold the repair until the silicone cured, but the tape bond was pretty strong and it’s stayed put for a few seasons now. Certainly not the nicest looking repair, but it worked for me.

Re: silicone spray. I plan to get this next. Since people have been using this for a while, I guess there aren’t any negative effects on the Zipfits? Do you wipe them down each day, how much do you use? How often? Edit: I’m also seeing “dry” and “wet” sprays. I’m guessing you use a dry spray?

@jmills115 I can’t believe they destroyed the integrity of the heel cap AND the stitching in two different places!:eek: This is why I’m still hesitant to get boot heaters w Zipfits that I take in & out of the shell everyday (cutting the Zips, plus the potential of damaging the heater cable too!) Though it does sound like @Noodler has had good luck with his setup.

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got some gaffers tape for exactly this purpose based on @Noodler s recommendation here https://www.pugski.com/threads/long...-1700-b-boot-heaters.13202/page-2#post-308202 and I have to stay, I like it MUCH better than duct tape, which leaves gooey residue everywhere and curls up on the edge. The original material they used to cover the spine hardware had come off, so I put a smooth single run of the tape from the very top of the boot to below the zeppa, so there is hopefully no edge to rub on and curl up. I’ll think about sandpaper as well.

I’ve also used gaffer tape a couple times to seal the instep boot flap to stop leaking based on @James recommendation. It works well for this too & then comes off clean at the end of the day. I’ve found it works better to put the instep piece on first and then go across the toe box.

Re: repairing zipfits, I’ve used silicone to reattach edges of the sole to the upper and then covered that with an iron-on seam tape (low heat!) I had originally thought I would just use the seam tape to hold the repair until the silicone cured, but the tape bond was pretty strong and it’s stayed put for a few seasons now. Certainly not the nicest looking repair, but it worked for me.

Re: silicone spray. I plan to get this next. Since people have been using this for a while, I guess there aren’t any negative effects on the Zipfits? Do you wipe them down each day, how much do you use? How often? Edit: I’m also seeing “dry” and “wet” sprays. I’m guessing you use a dry spray?

@jmills115 I can’t believe they destroyed the integrity of the heel cap AND the stitching in two different places!:eek: This is why I’m still hesitant to get boot heaters w Zipfits that I take in & out of the shell everyday (cutting the Zips, plus the potential of damaging the heater cable too!) Though it does sound like @Noodler has had good luck with his setup.

I had figured cable damage could be a problem but something I would plan on and have extra cables on hand already.
I had been sanding on my shells for a bit Friday night into Saturday night then taped them to ski Sunday. I’ll pull the tape again today to work on the shell before a small storm hits Utah and my first day skiing Snowbird this season.
Each time I tape and remove I think I’ve learned how to make it a little better for the next time. Gaffe-duct-gaffe in a spot or two helped.
I was pretty irritated when I noticed the butcher job on the heel but still had a great day at Alta on closing day. With lower temps, the snow somewhat skiable, and backside open, I was a little bummed when mrsjmills said her legs were tired at 130 and wanted to leave. I had her home at 215 and almost went back.
I have an appointment with the owner of the shop tomorrow morning to discuss the zips.
I use this stepping into the shell and figure any tape damage is getting out.

https://www.tognar.com/ski-and-snowboard-boot-horn/

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Use "wet" silicone spray. I have used both industrial and food-grade silicone and have not had any problems with either (unless the wife complaining about the silicone spray smell is considered a problem ;) ).

Note that gaffer tape, being fabric based, can be prone to more friction if not sprayed. Also, it's more susceptible to "catches" inside the shell. So take a hard look at the shell interior and also feel around for sharp or rough areas. They really should be smoothed out for best results. :)

Regarding the "integrity" of the ZipFit liner due to the slit. When discussing this with the shop owner, it should be made clear that proper use of the liner will most likely result in that cut growing. I pull up hard on the rear of the liner using the pull loop. I would be quite concerned about the stress that places on a cut that long and in that position.

James

Out There
Instructor
Use "wet" silicone spray. I have used both industrial and food-grade silicone and have not had any problems with either (unless the wife complaining about the silicone spray smell is considered a problem ;) ).
Whatever you do, don't buy Liquid Wrench brand Silicone spray. Smells god awful. I had to get rid of it. There's some sort of petroleum product in there.
Pure silicone spray smells kind of sweet and disspates. The Liquid Wrench is a horrible lingering smell.

Walk into the spray section of an autobody shop with a can of silicone spray and you're likely to get assaulted. Wrecks havoc for paint adherence, causes fish eyes, etc. So be careful on overspray.

Fwiw, I've also used "Super Lube" spray which is teflon, dry spray garage door lube, even Swix F4 paste wax. All those require a little buffing.

Last edited:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would definitely be considered a problem! :roflmao:My wife puts up skiing with me all day long all, over the mountain (and is becoming a pretty darn good skier!) so anything I can do to make her ski day easier/more enjoyable is a plus. Thus, It definitely has to pass the “smell test!”

:thumb: Also, Thanks for clarifying on the wet spray, I would have gone dry otherwise.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
for the repair then shoe goo will do the job, or good quality neoprene cement (the type used to hold soles onto shoes)

as for the cut for the cable... what cowboy did that!!!!! there is a lovely little stitched surround area for a cut to be made, ALL the plugs fit through that space provided on the liner, you have to go right to the edges but they all fit , if a member of my staff cut a liner like that they would be looking for a new job

SwedishFish

~~~ <°)))>< ~~~~
Skier
C98DF1EF-20D4-488B-9617-1A757337A9B8.jpeg
Does anyone know if the stitching that’s circled is just decorative or important? I assume it’s just covering a seam and is decorative.

Mine is fraying to the point it’s about to come off. I’m wondering if there’s any harm in just removing it?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
View attachment 156354 Does anyone know if the stitching that’s circled is just decorative or important? I assume it’s just covering a seam and is decorative.

Mine is fraying to the point it’s about to come off. I’m wondering if there’s any harm in just removing it?

Are you referring to stitching that is holding the fabric cover (blue with green stripe) over the rear spine seam of the liners? If so, then you would want to fix that. The fabric covering isn't just decorative as you say.

SwedishFish

~~~ <°)))>< ~~~~
Skier
Are you referring to stitching that is holding the fabric cover (blue with green stripe) over the rear spine seam of the liners? If so, then you would want to fix that. The fabric covering isn't just decorative as you say.
Yep, that’s what I’m referring to. It’s actually the striped fabric that is fraying. It’s reached the point that if it frays much more the stiching will have nothing to hold on to anymore. Thanks @Noodler

I just covered it in a layer of shoe goo. Once that dries I’ll probably put some gorilla tape up the spine to cover it and keep it protected.

Last edited:

Rhint

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’ve seen folks mention using gaffer tape / hockey tape / gorilla tape to strategically prevent wear on their heels - anyone have photos of how they’ve placed tape to achieve this? Any other tips? I’m trying to keep my zipfits as minty as possible.

Bluestone

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
1679915923283.png

Aquasure Urethane Repair Adhesive & Sealant is good for this. I repaired my Gara liners with it.
And aircraft leading edge tape inside boots: 3M Leading Edge Protection.

Sponsor

Staff online