• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Relative importance of binding screws?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know the stock answer to this is all of them are important. But are there particular binding screws that take more load/stress than others? Less? I recall Phil in a past post alluding to difference depending on which screw ....

Assuming a normative sort of hole pattern. Four screws in the toe piece, two front two rear. Four screws in the heel piece, two front two rear.

smv

Booting up
Skier
Me thinks 2nd row from toe and 2nd row from heel lookiing from top, or better, the ones closest to the springs... both rows seem to take the first shear loads and horizontal impact loads. No wonder why, in most bindings these screws are larger.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The shorter the mount distance the more stress on the screws. This is why we will also see floating screws at the extremities with various toes and heels.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Helicoils + epoxy FTW.. The BIGGER problem with a spinner or outright missing screw is moisture compromising the integrity of the ski itself

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks all! I'm doing a second mount, different brand binding, old holes close to new.

I'd like to set the toe piece at +1cm. The forward toe piece holes are the problem. I'm going to space the new holes at exactly 8mm from the old holes - gets me .5cm forward mount. Would rather be a little farther forward but not too far off .... I was a little worried about 8mm, but you all have I think confirmed that those two most forward screws are probably the least stressed

Ski is M6 Mantra, so plenty of metal at least.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I picture the front screws taking a lot of stress from moguls and general pressuring. And if one goes and then another goes, not good.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks all! I'm doing a second mount, different brand binding, old holes close to new.

I'd like to set the toe piece at +1cm. The forward toe piece holes are the problem. I'm going to space the new holes at exactly 8mm from the old holes - gets me .5cm forward mount. Would rather be a little farther forward but not too far off .... I was a little worried about 8mm, but you all have I think confirmed that those two most forward screws are probably the least stressed

So wait... you didn't really give us the full context of why you were asking the original question. If this was actually about concerns for a remount (skis drilled twice) then there is very clear guidance on the subject. You must be at least 10mm (edge-to-edge) from an old binding hole. Have I used less than that due to extenuating circumstances? Sure, but whether you can get away with that is highly dependent on the ski construction.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
Well, I got bindings mounted a while ago. You can turn the ski upside down and see where the screws are. So, to me, it's important to not use a screw too long....

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter

So wait... you didn't really give us the full context of why you were asking the original question. If this was actually about concerns for a remount (skis drilled twice) then there is very clear guidance on the subject. You must be at least 10mm (edge-to-edge) from an old binding hole. Have I used less than that due to extenuating circumstances? Sure, but whether you can get away with that is highly dependent on the ski construction.
If you epoxy in hardwood plugs, you are essentially reinforcing old holes and replacing drilled out material. It’s very common. If you are still concerned, you might take a hard look at installing ss inserts with epoxy for your new holes on top of the epoxied hardwood plugs.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you epoxy in hardwood plugs, you are essentially reinforcing old holes and replacing drilled out material. It’s very common. If you are still concerned, you might take a hard look at installing ss inserts with epoxy for your new holes on top of the epoxied hardwood plugs.
Thanks, very helpful!

The holes are already plugged with glued in plastic plugs. I'll drill those out and epoxy in hardwood.

Sponsor

Staff online