• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ericinNH

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone, I’m buying some new skis at the end of the year, hoping people can suggest some playful all mountain skis for me.

I’m looking to demo a few playful skis to compare them to the stiff skis I’ve demoed, the kendo 88, Brahma 88, and the enforcer 93. I’m demoing the enforcer 94 and the mind bender C ti shortly.

I am a strong intermediate skier and I’ll spend 70% of my time on groomed trails and 30% on ungroomed trails with bumps/in the terrain park, doing very minor jumps and such. If I hit 45 mph, this about as fast as I’ll get. I’m 50, in decent shape 6 foot four 225 pounds.

I’m looking for the best ski to ski what actually ski. I’m not super concerned about powder because I ski in the East and don’t see it that often, but I do want a ski in the 88- 90ish mm range. I’m trying to get better at bumps this season, so I’m looking for a ski I can turn and move quickly to make up for my learner’s sloppy technique. I like to carve, cruise and ski groomed trails somewhat aggressively as well, so its needs to hold an edge well. I need a ski I’ll grow into as I get better.

While I liked all of the skis I’ve tried so far, I think they might be fatiguing, and not be as forgiving as my sloppy bump technique is going to need. They all seem pretty heavy. I couldn’t demo them in bumps. I will hit some with the Mindbender and enforcer 94 Friday.

If you put a gun to my head I think it would be a tough call between the kendo and the enforcer with enforcer winning. But man does that kendo hold an edge…

So if anyone can recommend some more playful skis to demo and contrast to those above I’d really appreciate it. A lot of people have talked to have recommended the ripstick 88 because of its playfulness and forgiveness while also holding an edge well. One thing I really liked about the skis I’ve tried, especially the kendo, was that they held an edge unbelievably well on hardpack. I’m hoping a more playful ski can hold an edge as well.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty Evolv 90 is pretty easy to play on and can hold a tenacious edge given the proper tune. It may not be quite as playful as some of the others but it will do all the things you mention. I'm your weight and bit shorter and really liked the Evolv 90s, especially in harder conditions.

Another consideration that I really like in mixed conditions is the DPS Cassiar Foundation 87. Just a touch narrower than what you mentioned but a super fun ski in mixed conditions. More playful than the Liberty but still able to hold an edge when you want. Welcome to the Pugski Rabbit Hole!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking for the best ski to ski what actually ski. I’m not super concerned about powder because I ski in the East and don’t see it that often, but I do want a ski in the 88- 90ish mm range.

Why?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I just took my new Rossi Exp 88ti's out for their maiden voyage yesterday. I put a nice sharp 1/3 bevel on the edges last night and today was like magic. The new Exp88 is way more playful than previous versions and I had no problems holding an edge. At your size I would go with their longest (I'm 6'-0" 160lbs on the 180cm which is perfect for me). I made a point of staying away from Rossi's Konnect binding btw.

TS
ericinNH

ericinNH

Booting up
Skier

I've always skied a narrow low end ski- typical east coast season lease type ski around 75mm, and liked how the wider skis felt. more stable, just felt better. and when i do see powder an 88-90ish ski will handle it better.

TS
ericinNH

ericinNH

Booting up
Skier
Enforcer 88, Liberty Evolv 90, Mindbender 90, Fischer Ranger 92ti, are also ones to consider...

when you say the mindbender, do you mean the 90C or do you consider the MB Ti a playful ski? thx, Im looking at the 90ti friday. cant find a 90C to try. thx!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 6'4" and 225 lbs, the 90ti will work fine for you. I'd definitely also look at the Enforcer 88--it has proven one of my favorite skis.

This ski is just so damn good, at so many things.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do they still do the Blizzard Bushwacker? The Brahma sans metal? Sounds like something for you to look at.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I skied the 90Ti and didn't find it super playful but I did like it a lot. I tend to prefer damper skis though. I am not quite as big as you though at 6' 205.

Never skied it but based on everything I have read I would look at the Liberty Evolv 90 that ski interests me.

TS
ericinNH

ericinNH

Booting up
Skier
thanks all, anyone have any experience with the black crows skis? I'm going to demo the captis,from what I've read seems like a good lighter playful ski good for the park and bumps, wondering if I'll get the carving ability and edgehold I'll need from it. if anyone has skied it, or if there is any other ski from them anyone would consider playful and light I'd love to hear any experiences.

thanks!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW, I have liked Fischer skis for this attribute. I don't know the current line up, but I love my Motive 95's. They pretty much do anything, biggest downside is they don't "plow" through piles of late season crud as well as I would like. Although, that may have something to do with my old boots....

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
when you say the mindbender, do you mean the 90C or do you consider the MB Ti a playful ski? thx, Im looking at the 90ti friday. cant find a 90C to try. thx!

I've been skiing the 90ti. If by playful you mean the ability to drift, pivot, smear, then yes it has those characteristics. If you mean ski switch and other freestyle characteristics I would look elsewhere. Check out the skiessentials Mindbender 90ti review it's spot on.

TS
ericinNH

ericinNH

Booting up
Skier
I've been skiing the 90ti. If by playful you mean the ability to drift, pivot, smear, then yes it has those characteristics. If you mean ski switch and other freestyle characteristics I would look elsewhere. Check out the skiessentials Mindbender 90ti review it's spot on.

yes, those abilities are just what I mean, along with being less stiff than the skis I have demoed so far. thx for the link, I am skiing the mindbender and some other skis tomorrow, we will see how i like it.

how is it in the bumps? would it be too unforgiving for someone with sloppy technique that hopes to improve like me?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dynastar Legend 88 and DPS Foundation 87

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm 6'4" 225lb, ski Kastle MX88's and love them as much now as I did 3+ years ago when I got them. No ski is better at high speeds for someone my size...at least no ski I've ever skied.

Sponsor

Staff online