• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendation: 100-110mm

MJA

Booting up
Skier
Hi all,

New user here, long-time lurker. I'm in the market for a new pair of skis in the ~100-110mm range. I'm 5'9" 155 lbs and live in Salt Lake. I spend the majority of my time skiing at Alta & Snowbird. I would consider myself a strong advanced but not expert skier. Given the significant amount and quality of the snow we have here, I spend much of my time in search of fresh snow. I think I'm a bit more of a finesse than power skier. I prefer trees, soft bumps, and short to mid radius turns as opposed to high speed / long radius powder skiing. I don't spin much or flip.

My current quiver is: 16/17 Head Titan in 170, 16/17 Enforcer 93 in 177 (probably would have gotten the E100 instead, but I recently moved to SLC from New England), and 14/15 Soul 7 in 180 (pre-HD). I love the Titan and E93. The S7 is excellent in untracked or lightly tracked snow, but as the snow starts to get meaningfully chopped up they/I get knocked around pretty significantly. I'm looking for something that will replace my S7s, and be my go-to ski in 4"+ of fresh powder, as well as being fun to use in search of soft snow and bumps days after a storm. While some degree of hard snow capability would be nice, it's not a critical criterion given the other skis in the quiver and that at one of my two mountains (Alta) there really isn't much for bomb-able groomers.

I definitely want something a bit more burly than the S7, but given that the S7 in 180 is quite light and skis quite short due to the rocker/taper profile, I'm unsure of how much more aggressive a ski I'd like. Some skis that have made it to my short-list:
- Black Crows Atris in 184 (maybe 177? feel like it would be too short given significantly more tail rocker than the S7)
- Blizzard Rustler 10 or 11 in 180 (feel like the R10 might not be different enough from the E93 to justify buying)
- Head Kore 105 in 180
- Nordica Enforcer 110 in 185 (maybe 177? same comment as Atris, worried about E110 being too short in 177)
- Atomic Backland 109 in 182
- Rossi S7 HD in 180 (I know it's stiffer than the original S7, but I would feel very dumb if I bought this ski and had similar problems as with my current Rossis)
- Fischer Ranger 108 in 182
- DPS Wailer 112A in 184 (pricey)
- Others I know less about that seem like they could fit the bill: Salomon QST 106 in 181, Elan Ripstick 106 in 181, Volkl 108 in 181 (not sure I want 0 camber in my ski)

Thanks in advance!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Volkl 108 in 181 (not sure I want 0 camber in my ski)

You owe it to yourself to at least demo this ski. I'm one of several Pugs who are pretty smitten with it. (@JohnL, @Drahtguy Kevin , @SBrown , @cosmoliu ) I also happen to be more of a lightweight finesse skier. The zero camber is actually a plus unless you're on hardpack, and you already have good skis for that. It is MUCH better in chop than the S7; totally different design and feel, without at all feeling like a planky charger.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Atomic Automatic 109, which is the same as the Backland.
But I am very different from you in size and style. I would listen to @Tony S if I were you.

Also, look at the real size and real contact length of the skis you compare. I recently held my skis next to a pair of K2 Pinnicles that were nominally 5 cm shorter -- they were within 1/2 cm of each other.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoy my Volkl 100Eigths as much as any ski I’ve been on for intended conditions.

You’ve put together a nice list. The Head Kore 105 is a phenomenal ski for what you ask. The Rustler 10 is another excellent choice, and IMHO is different enough from the E93 to justify a serious look.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would go with the Rustler 11. Super fun ski but has enough beef to be good in crud and firmer snow.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You owe it to yourself to at least demo this ski. I'm one of several Pugs who are pretty smitten with it. (@JohnL, @Drahtguy Kevin , @SBrown , @cosmoliu ) I also happen to be more of a lightweight finesse skier. The zero camber is actually a plus unless you're on hardpack, and you already have good skis for that. It is MUCH better in chop than the S7; totally different design and feel, without at all feeling like a planky charger.
And me!!!!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tony S got it right above. The 100Eights replaced my beloved Gotamas, which for the 4 yrs or so I skied them was my favorite ski of all time. And they would be my all time fave if not for the recent entry of a pair of Stockli Laser AXs into my life. (Totally different ski and not germane to this discussion) The 100Eights are better in all ways than the Gotamas, which I got to reconfirm last week when I borrowed them back from my nephew for a day while a small delamination (my fault) under the heel of one 100Eight had to be glued. I've been on Soul 7s twice (non-HD and HD) and do not care for them at all. Too "twitchy", which likely is my take on them being not so great in "meaningfully chopped up" snow. I found the same to be true of the Sin 7s- It may be that I just do not care for the Rossi S series of skis. I do not find the lack of camber in the 100Eights to be an impediment to railing on groomers.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You said 100-110.
Have you considered the Head Kore 105 or the DPS Wailer 106

TS
M

MJA

Booting up
Skier
But I am very different from you in size and style. I would listen to @Tony S if I were you.

Also, look at the real size and real contact length of the skis you compare. I recently held my skis next to a pair of K2 Pinnicles that were nominally 5 cm shorter -- they were within 1/2 cm of each other.

I've done that in the past but great point, I will do it again. How does one measure the contact length of fully rockered skis like the Volkl 108 though...

You said 100-110.
Have you considered the Head Kore 105 or the DPS Wailer 106

Yeah the Kore 105 is near the top of my list of options. Hadn't thought about the Wailer 106 as I don't seem to see them much on the mtn, but I had considered the W112.

I would say the top of my short-list is (in no particular order) the Atris, Rustler 10/11, Kore 105, Backland 109, and I guess now the Volkl 108. I think I want something that has some guts but is still playful in the trees and natural features that exist at Alta & Bird. From what I've read it seems like the Rustler 11 will probably be on the more guts and less playful side of things. Probably need to bite the bullet and do some demos.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier

I had a similar experience. 184 Pinnacle 95 was 1-2cm longer than my 185 Enforcer 93s.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you like a playful feel but still a backbone, the Rustler series, Black Crows Atris and Enforcer 110 would be the front runners I think. The 177 versions would be better in tight spaces but the 184/185cm Skis would be more stable.

Honestly ANY ski would be better than the Soul 7 in hard snow or chop. The HD are better but still not great compared to the above skis.

Rustler 11 is more stable and better through crud than the 10 with better float. It would be the better choice in that series and still very playful. Atris is similar weight and feel and would be another “you should demo” ski.

Enforcer 110 would be the most stable and damp of this group but still easy to flex and fun. Would be my pick of the group.

Agree you should demo them all to see what you think.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go long for the Atris. I'm 5-2, 115 and skiing the women's 169 and starting to wonder if I should've tried the 117 (or is it 8?). I'm getting some weird tip deflection in chop that I didn't experience at all demoing them, but they're going to the shop for a check up tonight. Might be wise to check the tune when you have them mounted if you go that route. Demoing, they were everything the reviews made them out to be - really serves a broad range of abilities & styles.

Also loved the Santa Ana (small variation on the Enforcer) and felt they skied more true to length than the Atris. And I also loved the Sick Day 104, but I have loved the Pandora/Sick Day line for a while now, so it may partly be familiarity. I will say that they're great in the trees and are a nice blend between being stiff but still flex-able for a lightweight driver.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hadn't thought about the Wailer 106 as I don't seem to see them much on the mtn, but I had considered the W112.
The Wailer 106 (Women's version is Zelda 106) is a great ski which is far more versatile and has plenty of float for someone your size.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I also really liked 100Eight in 181cm. Too pivoty and light for me (for what I look for in a resort powder ski) but not wimpy at all. I was impressed, just prefer something beefier for the resort (at my size and weight). My daily is a Head Monster 88 in 184cm so that tells you something. That said you cant go wrong with the 100Eights.

So many good skis in the OP's, but also varied characteristics.

I would say the Enforcer 110 185cm might be much ski for him.

The Kore 105 is a great option. Light feeling like the Backland but stouter for dealing better with typically chopped up resort conditions.

I would again recommend the Rustlers. The 11 for mostly powder days, the 10 for everything.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Am I too late for the dance?

Faction CT 3.0. In 186; Absolutely love this ski. Dances in powder, fun, poppy and energetic. floats very well easy to picot but still rips soft groomers. Nice blend of softish tips to stiff underfoot. Longer low rise like the Volkl but has camber and this ski can be worked. Has excellent edge hold on steeps too. Mount point is critical, suggest +1 from All Mountain, Also, mid-point between CT line and All Mountain line. I am at +1.

TS
M

MJA

Booting up
Skier
I’m not too familiar with the CT but 186 feels long for me.

My short list seems to be the Kore 105 in 180, Atris in 184, 100eight in 181. And then Rustler 11 in 180 is on the periphery as I think it’s a bit on the wide side for what I’m looking for.

The reason I bumped this thread is to solicit thoughts about a ski I hadn’t really considered... the non-hp BMX 105 in 181?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The Völkl 100-eight in 181 cm. Don't worry about the rocker; tip the ski over and it works. I liked it in the conditions you described and I usually ski traditional camber race-like skis. It doesn't grip like a 68 mm wide race ski on the groomed, but that's not what you're looking for.

Sponsor

Staff online