• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random Stuff

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was it a speaker ad?
No - it was a Maxell cassette tape ad.

EDIT: Did a little Googling... you can still buy them on Amazon!!

1698885805849.png

Reactions: mdf

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So, you have an LG with the craft ice maker? My husband wanted that, but we had to price down so he’s suffering greatly with just regular ice.
Yes, you are correct but we didn't buy it for the craft ice. It was the three draws in the freezer that my wife liked. The craft ice was just a side benefit, although it had to be replaced under warranty once already. So it may be a draw back in the long run if it needs to be repaired out of warranty.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm afraid to ask, but ......
Does clear ice change the whiskey flavor??
Think of all the most wonderful things in the world... the best feelings you've ever had... the best sights you've ever seen... sounds that make you smile and give you chills... colors you've never even seen...

It's like that... But ice and whiskey.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Think of all the most wonderful things in the world... the best feelings you've ever had... the best sights you've ever seen... sounds that make you smile and give you chills... colors you've never even seen...

You guys have got to get a life. :nono:

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember that image, but not fully. Was it a speaker ad?
Heh, I was going to say it was Memorex, but indeed it’s Maxell. Pretty sure J&R Music in Nyc used to use it in ads too.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm afraid to ask, but ......
Does clear ice change the whiskey flavor??
Clear ice is way better. Doesn’t have to be craft ice. Ice like the usual refrigerator ice, has air in it that tastes like the refrigerator.
Stand alone icemakers that run water over a plate and produce clear ice are vastly superior. There’s plenty of kitchen ones.

As to the craft thing, it’s all about melting rates and cold transfer. And aesthetics. It’s not bs. People have made uhmw plastic cubes to freeze, but that’s kind of creepy. Also, how cool is a clear cube of ice? Or a sphere?? Fantastic.

Dave Arnold wrote Liquid Intelligence some years ago. Talks a lot a out this stuff. I went with a friend who was interviewing him back when the book came out. There’s a lot of diy stuff in there including making ice. I used it to make gin and tonics for people one time that summer and they raved about them.
He used to have a bar in nyc where they used all sorts of wild techniques which have become widespread.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 9.31.07 AM.png

Uncle-A

Skier
Today had a little bit drama that I didn't expect.I have had a little trouble with my gas range ignitor and in the past all I had to do was clean the ignitor and it would work fine. Will I am all set to cook my Christmas ham and the oven would not work. So I cleaned the ignitor and thought it would be fine but it wasn't. Fortunately my sister lives only a half mile away and she was agreeable to letting me cook my Christmas ham in her oven. So my task is to purchase a new gas range and I would like to get it done before the end of the year. My question to the community is what brand gas range have you had good luck with? I am replacing a Kitchen Aid that is not over 6 years old and has given me the issue I talked about above. Community you can give me your recommendation please.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today had a little bit drama that I didn't expect.I have had a little trouble with my gas range ignitor and in the past all I had to do was clean the ignitor and it would work fine. Will I am all set to cook my Christmas ham and the oven would not work. So I cleaned the ignitor and thought it would be fine but it wasn't. Fortunately my sister lives only a half mile away and she was agreeable to letting me cook my Christmas ham in her oven. So my task is to purchase a new gas range and I would like to get it done before the end of the year. My question to the community is what brand gas range have you had good luck with? I am replacing a Kitchen Aid that is not over 6 years old and has given me the issue I talked about above. Community you can give me your recommendation please.
Can't really answer because we use gas cooktop with electric range. Wolf appliances are more expensive, but 15 years and going strong and the repair service for minor issues has been easy and reasonable.

Our CO house came with all Whirlpool and Kitchenaid appliances and I can say emphatically and with a certain amount of passion that I would never, ever purchase anything built by Whirlpool or its subsidiaries.

We have 5 kitchen and laundry appliances in a house that is less than 3 years old and every one except the dryer have broken down. (We were lucky that there wasn't a KitchenAid fridge so we got a Bosch substitute which works fine.) On top of that, both Whirlpool and KitchenAid customer service are horrible to the point of absurdity. No one has authority to do anything..

They write their "limited warranty" description in vague terms that lets them arbitrarily deny said warranty. For example, they say that the microwave has a limited 5 year warranty that covers "electric component parts and TouchPad system parts." We needed a wire harness and a TouchPad display board. They said neither was on their "list" of parts under that warranty.

Finally, we learned from two local appliance repair companies that they would not work on Whirlpool products because it was so difficult to get payment.

Sorry for the screed, but just thinking about these lousy products gives me agita.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I replaced the ignitor on my 20+ year old Kenmore gas range. When I looked it up in the manual, I discovered I had circled the part. That jogged my memory that I had replaced the same part years before.

I finally replaced the stove this year. I just went into the store and picked one whose cooktop geometry I liked.

Uncle-A

Skier
We are in the last week of January and it has been warm and rainy in my neck of the woods. Does anyone still think about what we used to call the "January Thaw" ? It was the third or fourth week of January and it would get warm for a week and then go back to a normal winter.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We are in the last week of January and it has been warm and rainy in my neck of the woods. Does anyone still think about what we used to call the "January Thaw" ? It was the third or fourth week of January and it would get warm for a week and then go back to a normal winter.
Yeah... out west they have "dry January" where it's cold but no snow, that's very similar. They may or may not be real patterns, and aren't too predictable...

Some articles seem to agree that there's a pattern there that needs to be investigated, but doesn't have an explanation. Other studies seem to have concluded that it's random. It could be that we're seeing a pattern that's really not there - we think there's a pattern, so we only notice it or see confirmation when it fits our preconceived pattern. (Basically confirmation bias.) I.e. you have a cold January, and you ignore it; but get a warm spell, and all of the sudden it's proof of a real "January thaw".

There's actually a Wikipedia entry on it too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaw_(weather)

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The January Thaw is a real thing around Inland NW. This years is warm and wet, some years sunny and warm. Like the false spring version better, but they don't ask.

Uncle-A

Skier
It has been raining and extremely foggy here but I still had to go out and shop. I was traveling to a store I don't usually go to and had to use my GPS except it was only working intermittently. I guessed that the rain and fog may have been messing with the signal. Has anyone had a problem with GPS in rain and fog?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone had a problem with GPS in rain and fog?
It shouldn't affect the actual signal coming from the satellites. But perhaps the electronics in your car/receiver itself could be affected by moisture? Seems much more likely as GPS frequencies are designed/chosen in part to be able to pass through clouds and other weather issues.

Uncle-A

Skier
PXL_20240211_153959415.jpg

A different type of ski socks for my grandson. My daughter likes to get ski related items of clothing, he already has a couple of ski sweaters that I have previously posted.

Sponsor

Staff online