• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random Acts of Kindness

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight I donated some gifts and helped wrap them to gift to veterans at the VA in the next couple of days. The mom who organized lost her son Lcpl Ross Carver in action in Afghanistan in 2010 and she does this in honor of him. She estimates there are upwards of 600 gifts wrapped with another 200 unwrapped set to go. Such an incredible effort by all involved. This pic was only about a third of the wrapped gifts.

IMG_1965.jpeg

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this thread, especially the reminder that seemingly small gestures have a big impact.

When skiing, I always stop to check if everything is ok when I see someone down, especially by themselves. I also always pick up poles or skis that have been left uphill in a fall. At the Big Sky gathering in 2019, I was with another SkiTalker (sorry, can't remember the name) and we spotted a woman who'd stopped on the side of a groomer. Her snowboarding kid, who was invisible from the run, had fallen down the side and he couldn't get himself out of the fresh snow, much less back on the trail. We pretty much got down on all fours and hauled him back up with our poles, if I remember correctly.

As for me as a recipient, I'll never forget the stranger who stopped to help me change a tire in the pouring rain, late at night.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lovely idea for a thread.

Years ago when we were down on our fifancial luck, a friend sent us a 5 figure check which would probably be closer to 6 figures today, unasked. The note simply said something to the effect if, "no need to pay it back until you are on your feet and are able to, whenever." We did of course as soon as we could. Life changed for us thankfully and we have been blessed to be able to "pay it forward" several times for other friends.

Our son picked up on this and his Brewery has a Beer it Forward wall where you can put a name up there and buy them a beer. That wall is always full!

We had a relative who many decades ago used to buy turkeys and would give them to men in his neighborhood with a bit of cash for Christmas gifts. He did it outside their homes so that the men could bring these home for the holidays without the family knowing it was charity. Seems paternalistic now but was very kind gesture in those days.

My parents had a very wealthy friend. (1950s) A mutual friend was widowed young and her Her husband didn't leave much and she was struggling. The wealthy woman went to the Kennedy Center and paid for this woman's salary for decades, giving her a decent paying job (Not easy for a woman in that era). She never knew.

The Spanish, Jewish philosopher Maimonides had a pyramid of giving. The highest form was to give anonymously.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Most of the kids in this neighborhood have recently migrated here from south of the border. Thus, most have never experienced a snow day until their first one here. I enjoyed giving away all the winter clothes and gloves my kids outgrew. I also started grabbing sleds I see at thrift stores for $1-$2 a piece and putting a couple out at the curb for free whenever we get snow here..

1703087120828.png

Mrs G is a bit wary of me doing this afraid we could get sued if one of them gets hurt on the sled I gave them. Sometimes you gotta just take that risk..

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Needs never stop, somebody always needs help; so just give.
Our daughter lives 2000 miles away in the SE. She has been with Costco for 19 years. She called very distressed Monday night, one of her employees had a house fire over the weekend and lost everything. This was home for 4 adults and 7 minor children. Everyone escaped the fire and that is the important part. There is never a good time for this to happen, but this might be the worst! She was calling nearly in tears because she had made the personally difficult decision to take the $ she spends on a floral centerpiece to her Mom every year and donate it to an aid fund through her store. (She knew this was the right thing but, the center piece from her has been a family tradition since she was 9 years old. She went right over tradition; good job Kid).
As luck would have it I had just received an unexpected little Christmas bonus from my employer. Those funds made a hard left and went there too. This is not a good year for a new pair of skis in this region anyway.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This goes to one of our own members. In September of 2022 myself, a couple of SkiTalk members and a couple of Ski Divas gathered at the Indoor Skiing place. On the chairlift I was talking to one of our members and they shared that they did Cancer Research. Right around the same time my wife was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, just after the gathering I PM'ed our member and asked about their research. Even though our members research was not dealing with Pancreatic Cancer they shared a great deal of information about the sickness. Just the out pouring of concern for my wife's illness was very gracious considering I was just a stranger and we had only skied together once and went to lunch as a group afterwards. So I would like to publicly thank @Olesya C for the Random Act of Kindness provided to me and my now late wife. Thank You and God Bless.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This goes to one of our own members. In September of 2022 myself, a couple of SkiTalk members and a couple of Ski Divas gathered at the Indoor Skiing place. On the chairlift I was talking to one of our members and they shared that they did Cancer Research. Right around the same time my wife was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, just after the gathering I PM'ed our member and asked about their research. Even though our members research was not dealing with Pancreatic Cancer they shared a great deal of information about the sickness. Just the out pouring of concern for my wife's illness was very gracious considering I was just a stranger and we had only skied together once and went to lunch as a group afterwards. So I would like to publicly thank @Olesya C for the Random Act of Kindness provided to me and my now late wife. Thank You and God Bless.

So touching of a story. Sorry for your loss.

When I was going through breast cancer three years ago, the amazing amount of support and care I received from the likes of @Jwrags @Olesya C and other medical professionals, as well as other survivors who helped me navigate the journey to getting my health back.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
So touching of a story. Sorry for your loss.

When I was going through breast cancer three years ago, the amazing amount of support and care I received from the likes of @Jwrags @Olesya C and other medical professionals, as well as other survivors who helped me navigate the journey to getting my health back.
Two thumbs up for the good people here on Ski Talk. When something goes sideways with any one and is made public a response is always immediate and genuine. Thank you all.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
What a nice thread!! Yes! Pixie Dust is FREE!!! Ditto @Teppaz on always stopping if someone is down or help with picking up the yard sale. As simple as this is I give and get great joy in baking lots of cookies and sharing them with those that work a ton, are alone, have no family or just need a some homemade goodness to make it thru holidays, not everyone has family and love, it's nice to share the pixie dust. Being in real estate I also do clean outs, this past year my clients and I donated so much to those that lost everything to fires, right now we are gathering clothing and gifts and household items for a family that lost everything in a Christmas day fire. I also donate to many shelters for humans and animals. This past month I won 2 50-50 prizes- I donated the money I won back to the family that had the benefit and to the local animal shelter that was raising money- both were so shocked and so thankful-
My dad always said, never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up. Kindness is easy to share- as we enter the New Year carry the kindness with you. You'll never know how much your small gesture means to someone.. Happy New Year everyone.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My favorite local coffee shop had a bit of a Tik Tok kindness explosion this week because the owner just exudes good vibes. All of these tickets have been prepaid by people, some very far away, so those in need can grab a bite to eat. I’ve ordered them a bigger bulletin board to put them all on.
IMG_0298.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was at CVS today asking about my 20 year old daughter's prescription. They said it was on hold because insurance only paid for that compound for people up to age 19 and declined coverage. They recommended we consult the physician for an alternative. Well, she met with the doc last week and this is what was called in by said doc..

OK so I ask about the cost to pay full out of pocket because we have saved up a nice HSA fund. It was $900 and I shortsightedly though since it was usually almost $700 before we reach our deductible out of pocket max just do it and get the doc to come up with a solution next 90 day appointment and scripts. It's the weekend and kid is pretty much out of the med.

About the time it's dawning on me that this $900 will NOT apply to our out of pocket max because it's not gong through insurance at all and I'm like oh crap but oh well..

I'm there about to had the HSA card to the tech and the more experienced lady says "let's see if there's a discount card available we can apply here. They do some checking and say there is a discount of $139.. I'm like "COOL! THANK YOU!".

Gets better. When they rang it up it was not a $139 discount off $900 but it was $139 total AFTER the discount! :yahoo:

The kid needs to step up and deal with more of this stuff herself, but we're good until the next doc appointment and she can get that insurance problem figured out for the next refill or change the med to something that is covered.

The CVS folks definitely didn't have to do that for us.. Faith in human race restored for a day..

Uncle-A

Skier
I was at CVS today asking about my 20 year old daughter's prescription. They said it was on hold because insurance only paid for that compound for people up to age 19 and declined coverage. They recommended we consult the physician for an alternative. Well, she met with the doc last week and this is what was called in by said doc..

OK so I ask about the cost to pay full out of pocket because we have saved up a nice HSA fund. It was $900 and I shortsightedly though since it was usually almost $700 before we reach our deductible out of pocket max just do it and get the doc to come up with a solution next 90 day appointment and scripts. It's the weekend and kid is pretty much out of the med.

About the time it's dawning on me that this $900 will NOT apply to our out of pocket max because it's not gong through insurance at all and I'm like oh crap but oh well..

I'm there about to had the HSA card to the tech and the more experienced lady says "let's see if there's a discount card available we can apply here. They do some checking and say there is a discount of $139.. I'm like "COOL! THANK YOU!".

Gets better. When they rang it up it was not a $139 discount off $900 but it was $139 total AFTER the discount! :yahoo:

The kid needs to step up and deal with more of this stuff herself, but we're good until the next doc appointment and she can get that insurance problem figured out for the next refill or change the med to something that is covered.

The CVS folks definitely didn't have to do that for us.. Faith in human race restored for a day..
There are a few discounts in the Medical system, GoodRX is one I have used when my late wife was so sick. There is another one I see advertised but the name escapes me right now.

Uncle-A

Skier
There are a few discounts in the Medical system, GoodRX is one I have used when my late wife was so sick. There is another one I see advertised but the name escapes me right now.
The other is SingleCare Rx. and I just saw the advertisement.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online