• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

race room ski too grippy

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This. There is no such thing as a race ski that is "too grippy".

Actually though, an excessively aggressive base structure can make a race ski nearly unskiable. The right structure even with an aggressive edge levels should still ski well and be able to pivot, wedge turn, or side slip with ease.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No offense to the OP but here is a good example of balance and edge feel or more so the lack of it.

@tube77 don’t change the tune you’ll regret it long term. You bought a great ski just wanting to perform for you. Unfortunately you are used to give gross inputs to get your skis to perform and respond. So heres what you need to do,

Develop balance both fore and aft along with side to side. This results in edge feel. How.....start with side slip drills, falling leaf, progress to 360 spins, followed by quarter spins and so on. (Warning...Do this on gentle slopes at slow speed as errors are punished by the ski....think of it as it works good, body slam error bad).

Final note, well tuned true race SL skis are the most rewarding ski to play with as they are likely the most predictable ski you’ll ever own. Don’t change tune, improve the skill, the reward is worth it.

Just for the record I ski 0.5/4 on all my skis without issue.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Super cold, hard snow/icy day when you have the slopes to yourself.

Why? SL's work in a pretty wide range of conditions, different temps and snow conditions, crowded, not crowded...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why? SL's work in a pretty wide range of conditions, different temps and snow conditions, crowded, not crowded...
My only legit race stock skis are GS. I do have some SuperShape iWorldcup 12 meters that I'll take on a crowded day or small hill.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Actually though, an excessively aggressive base structure can make a race ski nearly unskiable. The right structure even with an aggressive edge levels should still ski well and be able to pivot, wedge turn, or side slip with ease.

That's my thinking..but as I haven't skied pure race room skis with 0.5 base I couldn't really tell..
Though it carves super well and allows me draw a right half circle. I could really rely on this one.
But it gives me quite weird sensation when I was skidding, side slipping or pivoting other than pure carving especially on machine made fresh soft snows.
The snow drags either tip or tail side against my control like burrs do.
Currently, it's burr clean.
It sounds like 0.5 base it not the culprit.. I may try slight de-tune the whole edge a bit to see how it goes if the too sharp edge is the problem..

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier

That's my plan with this beast. Eventually I would challenge the moguls with this one when I am fully comfortable on the flat slopes.
I know mogul skiing is surely bad for this skis but I don't really care as I didn't pay much anyway and it will really improve my technic.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm not sure about the difference between "grippy" and "grabby" here but on SOFT SNOW? Usually the tune is not an issue on soft snow, but maybe this is hardpack pack with a dusting? Now, the wax might be an issue on soft snow, but I'm thinking this soft snow needs to be defined a bit better. Is the edge biting into something? Or just along for the ride (in actual soft snow). Maybe we're talking about that packed chalk type of condition?

But aside from all that, the tune of .5/3 is usually for the more accomplished skier that is dealing with ice and is wanting more precision than the average. Personally that would require more attention than I want to devote. My "ice skates" are at 1/3 and we don't really get that much ice. I could see going to 1/4 way before I'd go to a .5 base level.

And for unpredictability, I'd be looking for a burr first.

Burr is the first thing that I checked with. It's burr free.
I agree. It's very similar sensation on soft snows when I had burrs.
The snow drags the skis tip/tail side in an unpredictable way which made me opps when side slipping or skidding.
For instance, when I was side slipping down the tip side of the outside ski was dragged uphill by snow instead of keeping parallel.
It's not a balance or technical issue as I have no complaint with my other skis on the same slope and condition. I did experiment.
This awkward sensation is more pronounced on a machine made fresh snow during the day before it's groomed.
It's not the wet or dry sugar dusting/powder snow on ice.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
No offense to the OP but here is a good example of balance and edge feel or more so the lack of it.

@tube77 don’t change the tune you’ll regret it long term. You bought a great ski just wanting to perform for you. Unfortunately you are used to give gross inputs to get your skis to perform and respond. So heres what you need to do,

Develop balance both fore and aft along with side to side. This results in edge feel. How.....start with side slip drills, falling leaf, progress to 360 spins, followed by quarter spins and so on. (Warning...Do this on gentle slopes at slow speed as errors are punished by the ski....think of it as it works good, body slam error bad).

Final note, well tuned true race SL skis are the most rewarding ski to play with as they are likely the most predictable ski you’ll ever own. Don’t change tune, improve the skill, the reward is worth it.

Just for the record I ski 0.5/4 on all my skis without issue.

Thank you for your advice!
Surely I have to further improve my technic and skills.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Burr is the first thing that I checked with. It's burr free.
I agree. It's very similar sensation on soft snows when I had burrs.
The snow drags the skis tip/tail side in an unpredictable way which made me opps when side slipping or skidding.
For instance, when I was side slipping down the tip side of the outside ski was dragged uphill by snow instead of keeping parallel.
It's not a balance or technical issue as I have no complaint with my other skis on the same slope and condition. I did experiment.
This awkward sensation is more pronounced on a machine made fresh snow during the day before it's groomed.
It's not the wet or dry sugar dusting/powder snow on ice.

You'll enjoy the feedback in the bumps. They'll help you sort out your fore aft balance quickly.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I bought a pair race room skis that was previously used by u17/18 athletes. (world cup fis SL)
The skis were excellent condition as it was only used on racing days and it was meticulously maintained as far as I can tell.
Especially, the edges were super sharp when I received it and I pretty much likeed it at super hard conditions. It's super carving machine.
But as a recreational skier, it's not always fun to drive.
It's too grippy even on soft snows that I occasionally have, especially this year in east coast.
It doesn't allow me skidding. It keeps gripping the snow that makes me feel sometime awkward especially when I side slipping to stop in the crowd.
It's currently tuned 0.5/87 tip to tail constant.
I tried to de-tune tip and tail little bit which made it much better but it's not good enough.
I am thinking to file 0.75 or 1 degree base while keeping the side 87.
What's your recommendation?
As far as I can tell, it's not a burr issue.

This sounds like a base structure issue to me, and not the edge bevels.
If the ski has a very deep sharp structure it will not slarve, pivot, or slide well.
If this is the case, you can fix that easy at home.
Check out this video

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honey, this ice in my drink is just too cold. ;)

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
This sounds like a base structure issue to me, and not the edge bevels.
If the ski has a very deep sharp structure it will not slarve, pivot, or slide well.
If this is the case, you can fix that easy at home.
Check out this video

Actually it’s opposite.
There’s no structure engraved right next to the base edges as it progresses from under the foot to tip and tail.
The structure is like usual worldcup skis.
There’s thin straight strip (about waist width) of the structure only in the middle of skis along the length direction.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tube77,

Its tough to really tell whats going on with your ski. I have bought a fair number of used skis with tunes all over the place (and some new ones too). A "factory fresh" grind from SKIMD has always solved the issue. From my experience, a base bevel that varies along the edge length (say from .5 to 1.0) will screw up the way a ski performs. It causes a somewhat random effect hooking up funny and unpredictable. Super sharp skis with low base bevels (0.25-.5) can feel overly grabby on certain snows, but it usually goes away as the edges dull. We usually like a ski than can slide in a controllable manner or grip as required.

I have taken my slalom skis into heavily moguled steep glades and had the tips grip rather than slip at times. The times are always when I don't want them to grip. I think this is just the nature of the ski and how torsionally stiff it is. My all mtn skis don't do this on the same glade. Just the nature of the ski and I typically don't use my SL race skis off piste much for that reason. If your skis are doing it on groomers, that is probably an indication is something is off with the tune or your binding mount position.

I have never experienced a base structure effecting how a ski turns myself, but I know knowledgeable people who claim it can. It seems like it would have to be a really deep structure in sticky snow to cause a problem.

Sponsor

Staff online