• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
LOL

SEG Are you finally going to learn to go slower ??????????????

Watch the video above. Have the "victim" head straight down the fall line and use vertical motion and two footed steering.

At the point where the body stops extending quickly turn both feet. That generally does it.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With luck they'll be naturals.

My eldest was a natural, at only 5 foot she could spray a 6 foot + person over the head even when there was little snow, on powder days we learned to stop after she would.

Many of her ski school teachers noted her skill saying it was nothing short of impressive.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you cant really just learn to hockey stop.....

I'd claim one can teach it but it's a "Ah ha" moment. one of my kids took a long time ... would just end up with a hook stop or such and one day nailed it. shortly after hitting it all the time.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hockey stop is just a little more angled skidded turn. If you can skid a turn you can hockey stop

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
Start with side slipping to get the feel of where the edges should be, the work some rotation in there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Asking for a friend

Tip, twist and push!? :huh:

Dunno, can't think, storm of the year and im stuck in Puerto Rico working until tomorrow :doh: :huh: arriving in CO Tuesday night.

Gotta stop looking at all the web cameras and images :doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why do I have a feeling that mayhem and possibly alcohol inspired this thread and somewhere in Colorado someone is saying, "Challenge accepted"

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can practice at home. You just need socks and a slick floor.

or if you prefer ... about 40 seconds in there's a better performed demonstration in this video

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why?

Hockey stop is a violent activity that really has nothing to do with skiing. Teach them to turn to a stop.
Easier said than done in an 8 foot wide chute.

As for teaching it, take the person over to the magic carpet run and send them up on one ski. Trying to snowplow with only one ski on usually ends with them going sideways with that one outside ski. They may fall on their side with the ski foot downhill, but it leaves them little other option other than going straight or pivoting to a side slip aka hockey stop.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why?

Hockey stop is a violent activity that really has nothing to do with skiing. Teach them to turn to a stop.

That had already been done, just wondered about needing to stop faster than that.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Side slip with a progressive edge set to a stop. Getting sideways is the important part. Falling to the inside is reactionary when faced with a collision or a tree well. A bit of a jump can be a good beginning to the pivot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Man, I hope this was posted from a phone on the side of a trail as 'the skier' got smaller and smaller off into the distance....

...... By Dexter Rutekie..

Student was last seen heading down main street screaming.. We're not curing cancer, we're teaching people to go downhill with sticks strapped to their feet.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That had already been done, just wondered about needing to stop faster than that.

Definitely comes in handy at times. Not a bad thing to know how to do for sure. Most times I use it to spray buddies standing around on edge of trail and less often to avoid a bad situation.

Sponsor

Staff online