• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question about types of bindings

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
I've been confused by this, so perhaps others are as well. As I see it, there are four types of bindings (at least—I'm totally unfamiliar with racing technology):

1. "Normal" bindings like the Look SPX 12 (which I have on one pair of skis), which have toe and heel pieces that get mounted separately on a flat ski. Not much adjustment range.

2. "System" bindings that mount on rails that are built into the skis, like with the Blizzard IQ system (which I have on another pair). The toe and heel pieces can be moved separately, but this may require tools and some work.

3. Demo bindings like the the AAAttack 13 demo, where the toe and heel pieces slide separately on a track (or tracks) for quick adjustment. These go on flat skis.

4. Bindings like the Tyrolia PRD series, where the toe and heel pieces also seem to slide separately on a track, and Tyrolia now claims you don't need tools. The track gets mounted on a flat ski.

My questions are: Is this correct? And if so, what's the difference between types 3 and 4?

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think some system bindings do not need tools to adjust either. In your list, 2, 3, and 4 are basically the same thing, a rail system. Some on one rail some on two. Some needs tools some doesn't.

BTW, the Vist SpeedLock is another fun binding system:)

I've been confused by this, so perhaps others are as well. As I see it, there are four types of bindings (at least—I'm totally unfamiliar with racing technology):

1. "Normal" bindings like the Look SPX 12 (which I have on one pair of skis), which have toe and heel pieces that get mounted separately on a flat ski. Not much adjustment range.

2. "System" bindings that mount on rails that are built into the skis, like with the Blizzard IQ system (which I have on another pair). The toe and heel pieces can be moved separately, but this may require tools and some work.

3. Demo bindings like the the AAAttack 13 demo, where the toe and heel pieces slide separately on a track (or tracks) for quick adjustment. These go on flat skis.

4. Bindings like the Tyrolia PRD series, where the toe and heel pieces also seem to slide separately on a track, and Tyrolia now claims you don't need tools. The track gets mounted on a flat ski.

My questions are: Is this correct? And if so, what's the difference between types 3 and 4?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BTW, the Vist SpeedLock is another fun binding system:)
Especially in sub zero temps...its a hoot. ;) My hands are cold and frozen just thinking about working with one.

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
Apologies for repeat posting, I already asked this question in another thread, but this is clearly the better place for it.

I would like to raise the toe by 3mm on a pair of Stockli SR88s. Currently, they have the AM12 binding, which seems to be exactly the same as the Salomon XT12, and whatever the Atomic equivalent is called. I am presuming that the toe of the AM12 binding can't be raised in isolation from the heel, short of manufacturing a long tapered plastic wedge that would fit under the entire system (and even then I can't see how it could be securely attached to the ski). So, I also presume that I am now in the market for new bindings. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any information that tells me about the mounting screw pattern (or whatever the appropriate term is) for the XT12. Is it possible that I could replace it with the Warden demo binding (or any other Salomon binding where the toe is not attached to the heel) without redrilling the ski? I will redrill if I have to, and that would certainly increase my binding options, but it would be nice if I could avoid it.

I know this would be easier if I had the skis and bindings in front of me, but sadly that is not the case, which is why I have already wasted so much time scouring the internet for relevant binding templates (without any luck).

I've considered shimming the toe of the boot, but I wonder if it is better to try to achieve similar delta angles on all bindings by using shims. If I shim the boot, then I may still need to use shims on different skis to achieve the desired angle.

If I am wrong about any of my assumptions (after consultation with @Philpug Ron appears to have shimmed the toe of a Fischer binding that doesn't look entirely dissimilar to the AM12), or anyone can offer any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Sponsor

Staff online