• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Putting Skis in 5' truck bed--Like a Tacoma

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have the short bed Colorado with the BakFlip hardtop, 184's fit fine diagonally even with multiple pairs. I did make a carpeted shelf that can slide in and out for half the bed so I can stack stuff, I also have the padded bed liner over the spray-in liner so gear doesn't slide around. Truck has enough room to pack everything for our month long ski trips with the cover closed and it fits in normal parking places and get > 20 mpg not matter how and where I drive.
The Colorado, Ranger, Tacoma are all midsize, not full size trucks and most people that buy them never put anything in the bed just like most of the new Jeeps on the road never see dirt.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Toyota USA obviously sells plenty of shortbed crew cab Tacomas, they just sell them to people who should have bought 4runners.
I was considering a 4Runner until I discovered that they were $5kCdn more than a similarly equipped Tacoma AND the 4Runner only came with an auto transmission. So I bought a Access Cab (rear jump seats) TRD Off Road 4x4 with 6'1" long bed and manual transmission. For some reason this set up is only available in Canada. In the US, Access Cab long bed with manual transmissiion only comes in the TRD Sport model. Unlike the Off Road, the Sport has no rear differential locker which was another deal breaker for me.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've moved with all kinds of trucks, including this pick'em up. (same model and year, not mine)
1619276927928.png

I gotta say the trucks shown below work much better for moving.
1619277008028.png

1619277030093.png

Heck if you need to move a pick-up load, you can even rent a pick up at Home Depot.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My 5 foot bed worked well for this, too. All the way from Denver to Breck without a hint of trouble.

2012-10-26_16-14-10_696.jpg

To the OP's question, which I have managed to side step so far, I put my recreational skis in diagonally, never more than a few pairs. When I need to fit speed skis, I open the rear cab window and put them in longitudinally.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My 5 foot bed worked well for this, too. All the way from Denver to Breck without a hint of trouble.

View attachment 132150

To the OP's question, which I have managed to side step so far, I put my recreational skis in diagonally, never more than a few pairs. When I need to fit speed skis, I open the rear cab window and put them in longitudinally.
Maybe a pickup with a ski pass-through down at the box floor level. As it stands, that's a custom job.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

View attachment 132150

The Smoke tarp, totally professional. :thumb:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The Smoke tarp, totally professional. :thumb:
Smoke tarp? I had to look that up. I did take my cues for proper loading from observing pros and their loads. I have a reputation amongst the people I help move for getting the job done safely and securely. ;)

The only load I've lost to date (40 or so years) was a 2x4 bunk rail from my sailboat trailer. The holes for the lag screws had rotted and the rail fell off somewhere between Portland and Greenville. I replaced the missing one and the one that still was there with PT 2bys and have lost anything since.

Oh, ya. I did lose a cooler of beer in UT when my tailgate didn't latch securely and fell out on a dirt road. Less than 30 minutes later it was found, but by someone else. As it wasn't beer from UT it was a good find for whomever absconded with it.

I'm not sure if there was a connection between what was lost and the fact that it was lost. ;)

Reactions: Ogg

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went from a 2010 F-150 regular cab 8' box (which had enough room behind the seat to fit pair of ski boots and other stuff) to a 2019 F-150 with extended cab and 6 1/2' box. I though I'd miss the bigger box, but it's not a problem-if I have to carry 8' lumber I just ratchet strap it tight. My last three trucks have had tonneau covers and its a great way to carry skis.

Luck is on my side so far-I've forgotten to raise the tailgate more times than I can count and so far haven't lost anything. These days I try to double check-Murphy can show up any time...............

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went from a 2010 F-150 regular cab 8' box (which had enough room behind the seat to fit pair of ski boots and other stuff) to a 2019 F-150 with extended cab and 6 1/2' box. I though I'd miss the bigger box, but it's not a problem-if I have to carry 8' lumber I just ratchet strap it tight. My last three trucks have had tonneau covers and its a great way to carry skis.

Luck is on my side so far-I've forgotten to raise the tailgate more times than I can count and so far haven't lost anything. These days I try to double check-Murphy can show up any time...............
That reminds me of the day that I showed up at A-Basin with my boat's deep cycle battery on the bumper. I had moved the battery temporarily to the bumper to access something but forgot to put it back. I was amazed as I'd driven on highways at over 50 mph and over Swan Mountain road, a turny road to say the least.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Smoke tarp? I had to look that up. I did take my cues for proper loading from observing pros and their loads. I have a reputation amongst the people I help move for getting the job done safely and securely. ;)

The only load I've lost to date (40 or so years) was a 2x4 bunk rail from my sailboat trailer. The holes for the lag screws had rotted and the rail fell off somewhere between Portland and Greenville. I replaced the missing one and the one that still was there with PT 2bys and have lost anything since.

Oh, ya. I did lose a cooler of beer in UT when my tailgate didn't latch securely and fell out on a dirt road. Less than 30 minutes later it was found, but by someone else. As it wasn't beer from UT it was a good find for whomever absconded with it.

I'm not sure if there was a connection between what was lost and the fact that it was lost. ;)
When you haul enough loads....you lose one once inawhile. Sometimes it's mechanical failure, sometimes it's driver error.
071200_082001.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The whole issue is you need to understand your usage. I use the truck as a truck and for the few occasions I really need 8+ft I have a trailer. For me if we ever down size to one vehicle it will be a truck, passenger comfort, heavy hauling and no rentals.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I easily put three pairs in my truck today (5' bed Taco).170 Savorys, 183 Bent Chettlers, 178 Renouns. I could have conceivably carried more.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That reminds me of the day that I showed up at A-Basin with my boat's deep cycle battery on the bumper. I had moved the battery temporarily to the bumper to access something but forgot to put it back. I was amazed as I'd driven on highways at over 50 mph and over Swan Mountain road, a turny road to say the least.
Sometimes we get lucky. I once drove 18+ miles in heavy traffic, at speeds up to ~60mph with a 20' extension ladder just sitting completely unsecured on my rack.

Sponsor

Staff online