• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pushing the Envelope on Private Lesson Pricing

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
She didn't say it was a "bargain" but it is 25% less and that is pretty significant. What is also significant is the percentage of this amounts that instructors get paid at each of these resorts. I am not sure of the exact amounts nor will I ask these instructors to divulge the compensation but I will say where Vail has to advertise to get instructors, Aspen in turning them away because their their instructors do not leave.

Big Businesses absolutely despise when employees discuss compensation out in the open... It gives information/power to the people...

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol...Ok, so you say Vail’s $1200 is outrageous.....but Aspen at $900 is a bargain?.... that Aspen/Alterra/Ikon $900 ain’t far behind. I would think for most people, both prices are outrageous.

I never said it was a bargain. It is significantly less than Vail’s price. You can select your instructor for a private lesson, which at Aspen includes former Olympians, multiple demo team members, former high level racers etc.

I am a lowly Level 2. I make $30 plus an hour. I work hard at my skiing and work hard to deliver a quailty experience. Our pay is a decent percentage of the lesson cost.
I have worked at a Vail ski area. I can tell you that Aspen is more selective about who teaches private lessons.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Businesses absolutely despise when employees discuss compensation out in the open... It gives information/power to the people...

Aspen’s pay grid has been published on the internet by various people. It is not a secret.
I think they are proud what they pay their people.

My pay more than doubled when I went from Breck to Snowmass.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
A lesson from the right person could be worth that much. I wouldn't know though since Vail priced me out of taking lessons there a long time ago. Based on my friends' group lesson experiences at Vail, I don't think such a person works at Vail. Hard to say since they don't advertise the instructors, their credentials, and specialties. Or has that changed recently?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lesson from the right person could be worth that much. Hard to say since they don't advertise the instructors, their credentials, and specialties. Or has that changed recently?
These dudes just might be worth it. I've taken a clinic with TJ Metz that was one of the best things that ever happened to my skiing, maybe with a private, I'd be skiing like a film star! :rolleyes:
You can look here for current season "trainers." They don't have this year's roster up yet but I did see it there last year.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
These dudes just might be worth it. I've taken a clinic with TJ Metz that was one of the best things that ever happened to my skiing, maybe with a private, I'd be skiing like a film star! :rolleyes:
You can look here for current season "trainers." They don't have this year's roster up yet but I did see it there last year.
Jenn and TJ are in blue (available for private lessons). Trainers are not. They train those in blue.

Sponsor

Staff online