• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pushing the Envelope on Private Lesson Pricing

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Those are the people that will hire one instructor for each of their kids, they will be an hour late, take a 2 hour lunch and quit early..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How much does the instructor get out of this? Their regular $15/hr? less an hour for lunch?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
How much does the instructor get out of this? Their regular $15/hr? less an hour for lunch?

Probably. Instructors get paid by the hour for the time they spend with the client on snow. That hourly wage could be less or more than $15. They don't get paid for lunch, not at the mountains I've taught at. If the client asks for the instructor by name, there's a bonus.

Then there are tips, or could be.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
As tempting as that experience offering is, per an instructor's comments on Epicski, I may not be good enough as a student. So I shall pass. "It's not you ... it's me."

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
As tempting as that experience offering is, per an instructor's comments on Epicski, I may not be good enough as a student. So I shall pass. "It's not you ... it's me."

I thought the old saying was "There are no 'not good enough' students, only 'not good enough' instructors."

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Don't forget the $1250 is just the booking fee. Rob Katz expects you to make up the instructor's living wage in tips on top.

Mind you if I had the discretionary spend a day with the Argentinian instructoress I rode the shuttle with to Highlands might be worth the price tag /everydayobjectification /everydaysexism.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A standard 15% gratuity, rounded up for simplicity to a modest (tax free) $200 a day would make the poor instructor feel much better about the experience.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I thought the old saying was "There are no 'not good enough' students, only 'not good enough' instructors."
Mr Miyagi says "No such thing as bad student ... only bad teacher", but he didn't teach skiing. Maybe he should have.

MarkP

Skier
Mr Miyagi says "No such thing as bad student ... only bad teacher", but he didn't teach skiing. Maybe he should have.

Try as I might, I just can't come up with house/yard/car work that translates to skiing. Maybe if he maintained the rollerblade paths along the SoCal beaches.

MarkP

Skier
Well he could still use "wax on, wax off" at least...

Good point. Learning how to keep equipment in good condition is part of the process.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually a repetitive skating-motion drill would be the perfect Miyagi for skiing. Shift weight, engage edge. Shift weight, engage edge. Left and right, over and over.

But I digress......how do I get to be one of those people with more money than sense?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But I digress......how do I get to be one of those people with more money than sense?
There's an easy way and a hard way... the hard way is to find a way to make more money.... the easy way is just to have less sense.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There's an easy way and a hard way... the hard way is to find a way to make more money.... the easy way is just to have less sense.
So, pretty unlikely either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An all day private at Aspen/Snowmass is $845 with 7 day advance purchase or $965 walk up rate.

The Vail pricing is outrageous

Lol...Ok, so you say Vail’s $1200 is outrageous.....but Aspen at $900 is a bargain?.... that Aspen/Alterra/Ikon $900 ain’t far behind. I would think for most people, both prices are outrageous.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lol...Ok, so you say Vail’s $1200 is outrageous.....but Aspen at $900 is a bargain?.... that Aspen/Alterra/Ikon $900 ain’t far behind. I would think for most people, both prices are outrageous.
She didn't say it was a "bargain" but it is 25% less and that is pretty significant. What is also significant is the percentage of this amounts that instructors get paid at each of these resorts. I am not sure of the exact amounts nor will I ask these instructors to divulge the compensation but I will say where Vail has to advertise to get instructors, Aspen in turning them away because their their instructors do not leave.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
True... but any all day private lesson will be expensive. Between the mid-A and New England and out west, I've never seen (personally) less than $100/hour for private lessons. So a 6.5 hour lesson at a small mid-A place would be at least $650. Possibly a fair bit more. Not up there with Vail, or even Aspen... but a much different experience at a small place.

In general, private lessons are expensive.

Sponsor

Staff online