• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 44593

Mimosa to commence this gorgeous Sunday demo day at Mt Rose.
As Jenny said, we started the day with Mimosas

20180422_083148-jpg.44628
We skied the crunch stuff for a bit in the AM, which made for a blast with the K2 Luv Machine 72 Ti
I switched to the DPS Cassiar 95 with Phantom to see how it worked in the afternoon sticky splendor. Turns out, it performed about the same as the skis that were waxed with yellow wax.
I took one run in El Cap with the crew after the Chutes opened. Crazy fun!

A few things stood out for me today:
  • I have the best friends. @AKMINK and @Andy Mink really stepped up to help me with the task of prepping the skis and hauling all the stuff up there for this shindig
  • The Pugski members are seriously special. You're great to ski with, kind hearted and generous on many levels. This is something that is reinforced every time we get together.
  • While we were eating, I looked around and saw a mix of people from a variety of occupations, cultures and nationalities come together to enjoy sliding on snow.

As long as you keep showing up, we'll keep doing this.
The last shotzski of the day -

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, let's round it up. I skied

DPS:
  • Cassiar Phantom 95 185
  • Cassiar 94 185 // Mendieta, KingGrump

These two were really nice. I skied them last. They both skied identically for me. They didn't feel long. Easy to pivot, and I could carve long turns with relative ease but low angles (of course, this is my ski level's fault). Really nice skis for soft snow and I'm sure powder. They Absorbed the terrain very well. The biggest surprise is that the phantom treatment did better than the wax on sticky snow on flats! It was a clear difference. And I skied them one hour later, with stickier snow. I could see myself buying these.

K2:
  • Ikonic 84Ti 170
These didn't work for me. Probably a bad tune. But they were impossible for me to turn on edge, and they were pushed around by the bumpy snow. I took them back after one run. As they skied, they seemed easy to pivot but only skiable (for me) at lower speeds than I speed.

Renoun:
  • Z90 180
My fav of the day. Perhaps because I love carving skis. I actually missed my rallies but wanted to try other things. These were the closest to the Rallies, less lively and slower edge to edge as expected. But they lock a turn, were just fine for me at 180, and boy. Do they absorb the terrain. I took Aida when it was really hard, and they were just fine. I didn't ski it well, but I felt super safe on them. They would secure and edge when I needed, and skid / sideslip gracefully when I needed, absorbing the irregular almost frozen bumpy snow very very well. Is the re a z95? :)

Thanks again to @Tricia , @Philpug , @Andy Mink and @AKMINK and our sponsors for this opportunity.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
Had a great time, it was nice to meet everyone. Tried the Renoun Citadels and while a nice ski, they didn't make me want to go home and talk about buying a pair with my wife (that was probably good thing). Tricia, thanks for being such a gracious host and hopefully I'll be attending another gathering soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 15
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Citadel will not be a ski for everyone...if fact it will be a ski more people won't want than to, that is the case with many specialty skis in this range, I don't expect it will not be a volume ski for Cyrus at all. The Citadel being over 100mm underfoot, it has a signifucant amount of carbon in the construction, smaller sweetspot and a pricetag that falls directly inbetween one and two thousand dollars. But for those who like it..it will indeed be a special instrument for sure.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Citadel will not be a ski for everyone...if fact it will be a ski more people won't want than to, that is the case with many specialty skis in this range, I don't expect it will not be a volume ski for Cyrus at all. The Citadel being over 100mm underfoot, it has a signifucant amount of carbon in the construction, smaller sweetspot and a pricetag that falls directly inbetween one and two thousand dollars. But for those who like it..it will indeed be a special instrument for sure.
My quick take on the Citadel after one run is it's a light but burly ski. In the soft spring conditions it is a lot of ski to try and push around at slower speeds. Faster speeds where I could get it up on edge it was fine, carving fairly easily but, again, a lot of tail to try and smear around the heavier snocone snow. I think it will excel in lighter snow. And yes, it is eerily damp.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today is international denim day. Are you in?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today is international denim day. Are you in?
I did, in deed wear denim pants today, but the only photo evidence of it is distant so you can't really tell.
imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online