• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PugSki Academy?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I never had a chance to participate in an ESA, but it sounds like a lot of people benefited from it and still talk about it to this day.

Might there be any chance of a PugSki Academy?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My instinct says that the same things that doomed the Epic Ski Academy would prevent a pugski Academy, but I will defer to others on that one.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Primarily it was an insurance issue. The coverage required by any resort for an independent vendor (ESA charged attendees to cover basic costs) to provide instruction on its terrain was too expensive to make it viable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Could a PSA happen? It has been discussed and is a possibility, but it might be a couple of seasons away.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
The costs for ESA were extraordinarily affordable given the caliber of coaching. It was an insurance/liability issue originating from the resorts' not covering liability. ESA was GREAT.

I first met @Tricia (And you! And a bunch of others...) at ESA Stowe in maybe... 2009? I'd love to be able to attend something like that again.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Still have my shirts...wow, they're old...wow, I'm old.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
The costs for ESA were extraordinarily affordable given the caliber of coaching... ESA was GREAT.

I always thought so!

I first met @Tricia (And you! And a bunch of others...)...

Yes, I know you and almost everyone in this thread either from ESAs and/or a gathering of one sort or another. Great adventures and memories :)

Will you be making it up mid week during the season????

Good luck with the PSA development!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
When the Epic Gathering was in Tahoe the year P&T married, Bob Barnes and Bud Heshman conducted a 2 day instructional program at a pretty reasonable cost. I think the only way that a future Pugski Academy can work financially is for the students to get to an area where the instructors work and can assemble an instruction team. I know there is a thread about getting instruction during the upcoming Aspen Gathering. In part, one reason the ESA's worked was it was easy for us eastern skiers to get to Stowe so there is a greater pool of locals. I also think that having an instructional program in December was a draw as we are just getting back on skis. When we eastern folks get to big mountains, it's hard to justify a 2 day program when the lure of skiing calls.

Even without insurance issues, the students have to cover the airfare, ground-transport, lodging, food, lift tickets and instructor compensation, assuming a 5 person group. That does not include costs P&T would have to bear, or be reimbursed for, for their participation. Financial responsibility is a tough fact of life. But, dream the dream and maybe it will come to be.

Sponsor

Staff online