• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Problems with ice - technique or gear?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
You need accurate fire-aft balance and soft feet. You can’t jam your edges in when your skis are sliding sideways. You need to get your edges in gradually and early in the turn, when your skis are moving forward, not sideways. A good tune helps but the angles aren’t critical. (Most shop machines are set for 1 and 2 and that’s what you’re getting. ) Skis with more camber are better. Full rocker skis have a very small sweet spot on hard snow.

But mostly it just takes a long time to develop soft feet and a good feel for ice.

dm

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Strength is unlikely to be the issue, as I have pretty strong legs (I'm a serious runner). But yes, flexibility might not be forte.

While strength is important, my strength has not fully recovered from my surgery. The flexibility and range of motion is MUCH better. That made the immediate difference to my skills. I could actually tip my skis on edge with control. I'm doing a lot of private yoga to preserve the flexibility.

However, the physical therapist really worked my strength. I was extremely weak after the surgery. Getting my strength up to a reasonable level was critical before being released to the hill.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online