• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Although I often ski at Jack Frost, because it is convenient, the price of a Peak Pass is far too much for me. I can only ski weekends, for the most part. If I want to take some days off and do a trip somewhere, it’s not going to be at Snow or Wildcat or Attitash or Hunter. Then I’m looking at MCP or some kind of other deal.

Even if you ski every other weekend btwn Dec and Mar that would total eight weekends, or sixteen days. If you buy the Explorer Peak Pass early bird that would break down to $38 per day of skiing. Not sure how you expect the hard working men and women at the resorts to make a living if you paid any less than that!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have skied Attitash off and on since it opened in 1965 so the place has been a large piece of my life. Peak Resorts started out with a 2.5 million fan gun snow making upgrade in 2007 but since have done little to make significant investment in the area . They have a great summer business that the profits must be going elsewhere. One lift to the near summit has been mothballed, the triple to the summit is a LOOOONG 17 minute ride to the best terrain. That one lift is killing the future of the area and when I see more area expansion ,my head is ready to blow off !!!!! I just don't understand why you would expand when you have assets that are withering on the vine. The only benefactor is Brenton Woods 20 miles up the road. BW are a well run operation with little or no challenging terrain. My hope is to finance these expansions they please consider selling Attitash/ Wildcat to someone that truly are interested in the area just not holding on to it for the benefit of selling peaks passes. Sorry for the rant but is a sore subject .

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is not the case - you can keep your Snow Time pass and ski just those three resorts or you will be able to "upgrade" to the Peak Pass for around $99 more for an adult, $20 for a young person and $0 for a child. Hard to argue that is not a good deal for an unlimited and unrestricted pass to 17 mountains.

Where did you get those numbers? There's nothing on the Snowtime's websites with any pricing info. Just TBD.

I know that it states that an upgrade will be available for this year, but I'm concerned about the years going forward.

Basically, I fear change.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Nah. Change is good. Keeps life interesting..
We love chaos. Just have to find the cracks (opportunities) we can capitalize upon.
The changes (chaos) has already happened. It's beyond our control so just find something that works for you.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even if you ski every other weekend btwn Dec and Mar that would total eight weekends, or sixteen days. If you buy the Explorer Peak Pass early bird that would break down to $38 per day of skiing. Not sure how you expect the hard working men and women at the resorts to make a living if you paid any less than that!

That makes sense. I also ski Montage, and do get a season pass there ($299)!
This year, I get a heavily discounted Jack Frost (not Peak) pass because I work part time at my local shop.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where did you get those numbers? There's nothing on the Snowtime's websites with any pricing info. Just TBD.

I know that it states that an upgrade will be available for this year, but I'm concerned about the years going forward.

Well if you are 7 - 17 years of age and paid $479 for your pass you will actually be getting $80 back in "resort cash"! And if you are six or younger, you ski for free.

All Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop passes remain valid at all three resorts for the 2018-2019 season.

On October 3, all individual, family and senior Midweek Season pass holders may choose to upgrade ($199 for 30+ age) their passes to gain access to the following 14 additional resorts:
  • Jack Frost Ski Resort, PA
  • Big Boulder, PA
  • Hunter Mountain, NY
  • Mount Snow, VT
  • Crotched Mountain, NH
  • Attitash Mountain Resort, NH
  • Wildcat Mountain, NH
  • Alpine Valley, OH
  • Boston Mills, OH
  • Brandywine, OH
  • Mad River Mountain, OH
  • Paoli Peaks, IN
  • Hidden Valley, MO
  • Snow Creek, MO

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop passes remain valid at all three resorts for the 2018-2019 season. All individual, family and senior Midweek Season pass holders may choose to upgrade ($199 for 30+ age) their passes to gain access to the following 14 additional resorts...

So the upgrade turns out to be $199 instead of $99, as stated before. I think I'll pass. I might hit Hunter or Mount Snow for a day this year, but I've always found decent midweek deals by using Liftopia. I wonder if all of this consolidation in the ski industry this year is going to affect the discounts that we've seen in the past...

Answering my own question, I just looked at December prices for Mount Snow and it looks like they are selling one day lift tickets for 50% off the walk up price. So maybe the discounts won't be affected by the consolidation.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the upgrade turns out to be $199 instead of $99, as stated before. I think I'll pass. I might hit Hunter or Mount Snow for a day this year, but I've always found decent midweek deals by using Liftopia. I wonder if all of this consolidation in the ski industry this year is going to affect the discounts that we've seen in the past...

Answering my own question, I just looked at December prices for Mount Snow and it looks like they are selling one day lift tickets for 50% off the walk up price. So maybe the discounts won't be affected by the consolidation.

It depends on your age - and other factors. The upgrade can cost $199, or it can cost $99. Or it can cost nothing at all. Or, you might even get $80 back! So, it is not simply $199 like you seem to propose. Regardless, even if you plan on only skiing a handful of days at the other 14 resorts then its worth it.

And yes, Mount Snow - and many other mountains - have some great deals on lift tickets. For example, @surfsnowgirl mentioned that Killington is running as special promo where you buy one ticket and get one promo going on.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@ksampson3 Here is the link for the buy one -get one deal at Killington.

http://buy.killington.com/2for1ski/default.aspx?sourceid=social

You don't pay any money now, just enter in your email addresses (one at a time) and you'll get an email sent to you with a bar code. One the day you wish to ski (any day before 12/21/18) you bring your phone to the courtesy desk inside and show them your bar code. They'll charge you at that time whatever the daily is (usually between $70-90) depending on what day) and you'll get 2 tickets so if you do the math you're only looking at $35-45 per ticket which is a deal.......................

Liftopia is another great source. Many ski clubs offer bulk tickets from various ski resorts that can be used anytime throughout the season. In the past we've volunteered at events at Mount snow and get paid in lift tickets. So many ways to get around paying full rack rate for a ticket.

I love having a peak pass, it's affordable if you buy them in April for the following season when they go on sale. It helps that my bootfitter is there but it's nice being able to take a run or two after an adjustment. It really pays for itself quite quickly.

Mount Snow in particular has great customer services so I imagine that extends to the entire peak resort umbrella. Give them a call.

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on your age - and other factors. The upgrade can cost $199, or it can cost $99. Or it can cost nothing at all. Or, you might even get $80 back! So, it is not simply $199 like you seem to propose. Regardless, even if you plan on only skiing a handful of days at the other 14 resorts then its worth it.

So I called Whitetail and the bottom line is that it's $1616 for our family to ski at Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail on the 3 resort pass. To get the Peak Pass it would be $2054, a difference of $438. So as long as I take the family and ski 2 days at another Peak resort, it would be worth getting the upgrade. However, I'll stick with the Mountain Collective. Not because it's a better deal than this (or maybe it is). I'll stick with it because the kids have no desire to take a ski trip to the Northeast. Brats.

You know the saying, "Once you go West, you never go back." Or something like that.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No maybe about Wildcat. Attitash - meh.

Wildcat is the one place in their New England portfolio that I'd drive to from the mid-Atlantic to take advantage of the new connection. But Mt. Snow and Attitash are also worth visiting if going that far and on the same ski pass.
1290969768_pic2.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online