• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Press Release: Ikon Adds Zermatt

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IKON PASS EXPANDS INTO EUROPE WITH THE ADDITION OF ZERMATT IN SWITZERLAND FOR WINTER 19/20

Offering Includes Access into Italy

DENVER, CO, August 27, 2019 – Soak up the magic of the Matterhorn as Zermatt in Switzerland becomes the first European destination partner on the Ikon Pass. Now Ikon Pass holders have access to snow at 41 global destinations across five continents.

The iconic Matterhorn towers over more than 3,500 acres (1,416 hectares) of terrain that spans both Switzerland and Italy, offering Swiss hospitality coupled with Italian lifestyle, in the highest skiable terrain offered in the picturesque Alps. Connected lift service offers Ikon Pass holders access to Rothorn, Gornergrat and the Schwarzsee-Matterhorn glacier paradise within the Zermatt ski area, plus Cervinia-Valtournenche ski areas in Italy, collectively known as Matterhorn ski paradise.

Ikon Pass holders will have seven-day access to Zermatt and the Matterhorn ski paradise network on the Ikon Pass with no blackout dates, and five-day access on the Ikon Base Pass, also with no blackout dates.

“The Matterhorn is a true icon known around the world, so we are thrilled to have Zermatt join the Ikon Pass community,” said Erik Forsell, Chief Marketing Officer for Alterra Mountain Company. “Ikon Pass strives to continually offer pass holders unique experiences in the mountains. Now they can experience Zermatt’s glacier skiing, traditional Swiss fondue, plus its infamous European après ski across two countries, on one pass.”

“Zermatt and Matterhorn ski paradise are pleased to be the first European destination on the Ikon Pass, and we look forward to offering our best Swiss quality and Italian lifestyle to Ikon Pass holders everywhere. We are excited to share our passion and devotion to skiing within the Ikon Pass community and its impressive destination partners across the globe,” said Sandra Zenhäusern, Director of Marketing, Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.

The Ikon Pass unlocks adventure with access to 41 iconic winter destinations across the Americas, Switzerland, Japan, Australia and New Zealand and is a collaboration of industry leaders – Alterra Mountain Company, Aspen Skiing Company, Boyne Resorts, POWDR, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird, SkiBig3, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Taos Ski Valley, Sugarbush Resort, Zermatt, Thredbo, Mt Buller, Niseko United, Valle Nevado, and NZ Ski. Each demonstrates integrity, character and independence that is reflected in their mountains and guests.

Ikon Pass Stats

Destinations: 41
Continents: 5
States: 12
Canadian Provinces: 4
Total Acres: 84,385
Trails: 4,857
Lifts: 719

*Does not include CMH stats

The Ikon Pass is available now at www.ikonpass.com.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Let the stoke begin!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
This sounds awesome. I need to get back to Europe someday. Isn't Zermatt pretty expensive, however? Unless it's the just the cost of the lift ticket, Problem Solved!!!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you're already going to Zermatt this is great. But the lift tickets are one of the least expensive parts about skiing in Zermatt. For the cost of staying/eating/drinking there, you could stay/eat/drink/ski many other places.

It is charming AF though. And you get to ski under the matterhorn.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You're missing the obvious a bit. Cervinia and Valtournenche are easily accessible from Milan or Turin, have great family run hotels and the food is superb. And all a lot cheaper than Zermatt.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Anyway now Ikon's starting to get interesting. Wonder where else is on the list? Chamonix? Arlberg now they've bust from Epic? Kitz? Val D'Isere?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This sounds awesome. I need to get back to Europe someday. Isn't Zermatt pretty expensive, however? Unless it's the just the cost of the lift ticket, Problem Solved!!!

What else would be included other than the cost of the lift ticket?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
What else would be included other than the cost of the lift ticket?

From my limited research, lift ticket prices in Switzerland are higher than neighboring countries. So when someone says it's more expensive to ski in Zermatt, perhaps they are only referring to the lift ticket price. However, for a traveler from the US, the lift ticket is but a small portion of the total cost, eh? So if the lodging, ski rental, transportation and meals are also more expensive, it could be a much better deal to ski in France or Italy even with the IKON freebies. When I skied Espace Killy in 2007, the lift ticket was dirt cheap (100 euros for 6 days). Flights would usually be to Geneva for skiing the Alps, so no difference there.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You can easily check online at the price of an all-area pass originating in Zermatt vs one originating in Cervinia. The delta is significant and they manage to avoid arbitrage by invalidating the Italian passes for first uplift of the day on the Swiss side (so you can't even do an overnight trip over). You'll pay significantly more for hotels and restaurants on the Swiss side too. The better terrain is on the CH side so when the weather closes out you can't get there but equally with the weather closed out then you aren't necessarily skiing the best stuff anyway.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It would be unwise to assume that the Ikon pass can be used from Cervinia. The deal is with the Zermatt lift company, the idea is to attract more US skiers to Zermatt. Passes bought locally are programmed to only give access to the lift system from the side on which they were bought, otherwise we would all buy our passes via Cervinia!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Fair point. Small print will be important and Ikon had better get it right. Best not book my fave hotel in Valtournenche yet....

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
OK asked them the question directly via email ( the live chat is garbage)

Please confirm that access to the Zermatt Matterhorn international ski area will be available from Cervinia under the Ikon pass?

Good Afternoon,

Yes you will have access from Cervinia.

Thank you for contacting the Season Pass Contact Center, have a great season.

Sincerely,
Megan
Ikon Pass Support
Alterra Mountain Company

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This sounds awesome. I need to get back to Europe someday. Isn't Zermatt pretty expensive, however?

When we visited Zermatt a few years back, we didn't find it terribly expensive. There were some expensive restaurants but we found reasonable ones. The condo was about the same as Chamonix but much cleaner and easy walks to the lifts. Lift tickets were about the same. The people were friendlier than Chamonix.

This is cool!

Eric

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It would have been better if you had addressed your question to the Zermatt lift company https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en As I said above the deal is with the Zermatt lift company (Zermatt Bergbahnen AG, [email protected]), Alterra is effectively a reseller. The lifts on the Italian side of the border are operated by a different company https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home (Cervino SPA, [email protected]). To date there has been no mention of the Ikon Pass on the Cervinia website.

As I also said above you can only access the lift system from where you obtain the pass https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Book/Online-tickets/Ski-pass-International “Please note: The ticket must be activated in Zermatt. A ticket activation in Breuil-Cervinia or Valtournenche is not possible!” Allowing someone with an Ikon Pass to start their skiing day from the Italian side doesn’t make economic sense as it eliminates the revenue that Zermatt would obtain from selling accommodation etc.

If you get to Cervinia and your Ikon Pass isn’t accepted you will have to buy a regular Cervinia pass or an international pass if you want to ski over to Zermatt. Before booking flights and accommodation etc. it would be a good idea to get a statement from Cervino SPA saying that they will accept it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I followed it up with a specufic question to clarify it was good if I was staying in a hotel in Cervinia and accessing my first lift of the day in Cervinia. Which was confirmed. So it I do go to Cervinia and it doesn't work I have a specific email from a named Ikon staff member who has misled me. Pretty good basis for them paying my costs anyway don'tchathink. I have done reasonable due dilligence. My contractual relationship is with Alterra not anyone else.

Sponsor

Staff online