• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

powder ski guidance, please

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
One consideration you should factor is where you are skiing and how long the powder lasts on typical pow day. People are too efficient at devouring powder at most ski areas and it quickly is a “crud day.” Crud is still a blast but certain super wide and light pow skis aren’t so great in crud. My favorite pow ski is 110 mm with a good balance of pow surf ability but also crud performance. Enforcer 110 is reference point but lots of similar options.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
....and its

DIMENSIONS 170-141-158 @187cm

I'm totally with you and (not criticizing) feel the OP may not be looking at this with a full understanding of what you typically encounter on most Cat skiing (I've only beencat skiing in British Columbia and here). I asked but I dont think I got an answer on where he's skiing.

I didnt list the Chetler only because it's deep rocker lines but it is uber easy to ski an uber fun too! Get that in the 184 and call it done. the idea of the 180 AND meeting the original specs is really unrealistic. I know you know this, but all rocker is not alike, theres a huge difference between "rise/splay" and "run" or length of rocker. the protest has low splay, long run. I dont get too hung up on ski weight because unless you are skinning, the swing weight is more important to me. The Praxis has an extremely low swing weight so it skis effortlessly. it more stiff than a Bentchetler so it does do better in chop and heavier/dense snow. However, all said and done, I'd grab a Bentchetler if its going to be light snow or consider a Moment Wildcat or Protest otherwise. There's also several excellent skis in the 115 range too.
My all time favorite was original Praxis Pow ski. Looks like they don’t make it anymore but was around 140 mm waist, full reverse camber and reverse sidecut. I lived in Utah at time so it wasn’t completely impractical but what a hoot in the middle of a storm or really deep day. You needed to pay attention when skiing groomers and totally tracked up conditions but boy do I miss that ski. Definitely has a halo effect but I’ve always regretted selling that one.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looking for ideas for next POWDER specific skis

-5-11, 45 years old, 170lbs
-I do NOT ski aggressively
-Like the pop of traditional camber in powder
-prefer flatter/traditional tails
-looking for about 120+ underfoot and 180 or less length (cat skiing, very deep, often tight steep trees)

THANKS!

At your size/weight I would not go with a very wide stiff ski in the conditions you mentioned since they will be a handful, all that surface area WILL push back with a lot of force.

I looked at a bunch of skis and these look to be a great match for you: https://www.evo.com/skis/dynastar-m-free-108#image=180346/710820/dynastar-m-free-108-skis-2021-.jpg

These 110's I loved but might be a touch too burly although better if you are skiing a lot of firmer snow in between the powder: https://www.evo.com/skis/nordica-en...8145/nordica-enforcer-110-free-skis-2021-.jpg

Looking at wider skis these are awesome, not too heavy but still very capable skis: https://www.evo.com/skis/armada-tracer-118#image=181529/746766/armada-tracer-118-skis-2021-.jpg

These are also awesome skis in the longer lengths (184cm+) https://www.evo.com/skis/moment-wildcat#image=185446/750060/moment-wildcat-skis-2021-.jpg

I have demoed these and they absolutely rule soft snow moguls and trees: https://www.evo.com/skis/icelantic-nomad-115#image=182048/727080/clone.jpg Very easy to ski, dont be afraid to go long.

So many good skis, I would be very happy to be on any of those skis I mentioned.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m @todlasher1 ‘s size and my current soft snow / powder quiver consists of Praxis Protests, Line Pescados, ON3P Cease & Desists and Billy Goats, DPS112rp, Stöckli Stormrider 107s, and Kästle MX98s (yes, I do ski powder on a 98 and yes it is fun but I probably wouldn't grab it for a cat trip).

In the past 7-8 years, I’ve owned (and sold on) DPS 138, DPS 120 spoon, DPS 124, Stöckli Stormrider Pro, Dynastar XXL, PM Gear Lhasa Fat, Moment Bibby & Belafonte.

I’ve demoed several others.

IMHO, the ski he wants is the Pescado.

I'm getting on the pescado hype train for the OP too. It's not at all the shape he asked for but I do think it's the function.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My “Best guess ski he’d like” was the Line Outline so if he stays with Line he should be good! Haha

Never been on the Pescado but was blown away with how easy the boat hull Convex tips/tails of the Outline cut through untracked snow. Really felt like a boat!
Have a friend who has the Sakana as his soft snow/Spring ski and loves it.

OP "-prefer flatter/traditional tails"
Outline has very turned up tails.

line-outline-profile.jpg

silverback

Skier
One consideration you should factor is where you are skiing and how long the powder lasts on typical pow day. People are too efficient at devouring powder at most ski areas and it quickly is a “crud day.” Crud is still a blast but certain super wide and light pow skis aren’t so great in crud. My favorite pow ski is 110 mm with a good balance of pow surf ability but also crud performance. Enforcer 110 is reference point but lots of similar options.

OP_ "-looking for about 120+ underfoot and 180 or less length (cat skiing, very deep, often tight steep trees)"

Pow days on the cat last all day.

silverback

Skier
However, all said and done, I'd grab a Bentchetler if its going to be light snow or consider a Moment Wildcat or Protest otherwise. There's also several excellent skis in the 115 range too.

If the OP didn't say "I do NOT ski aggressively" I might be on board but I think the Protest and Wildcat (and ON3Ps) prefer some speed and aggression to get the most out of them.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Maybe the old K2 Pontoons (130 underfoot) would fit the bill closest if you aren't sold on tail rocker. Try to score a used pair in mint condition somewhere.

Else a new 120+ underfoot ski without at least a raised tails is really hard to come by these days.

TS
T

Toddlasher1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OP here.

VERY appreciative of the tons of feedback, in response to some questions:

-will reconsider sticking with having tail rocker, failed to understand the implications. Yay learning.

-do 7+ days per year of Canadian cat skiing, usually with some resort days on the shoulders (on same skis). Like to bring my own skis.

-currently have original S7 in 188 (115). Nearing end of their useful life. Reasons for going shorter and wider: 1) some days have been so deep that even w/115 seems like I could go wider. 2) I am usually in the weaker half of the group yet at 188 I seem to have one of the longest skis, if not the longest.

Pescados (and many others) are very intriguing. Wonder how the amount of camber compares to my s7 which have plenty.

thanks again!

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
OP "-prefer flatter/traditional tails"
Outline has very turned up tails.

The OP didn’t ask for swallow tails either but they would also work for him!
Hopefully this thread has shown the huge benefits in turned up tails in tight spots and the reason why almost all powder skis have large tail splay for this very reason.

The Pescado vs the Outline is similar to the K2 Mindbender 116 with its flatter tail and more traditional tail vs the Reckoner 122. The flatter tails will be more locked into turns and the more twinned tipped skis will feel more surfy and easy to pivot at lower speeds.
Like any ski, a demo might be needed to see what style of ski they actually prefer as they might be different from the ski they initially thought.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
currently have original S7 in 188 (115). Nearing end of their useful life. Reasons for going shorter and wider: 1) some days have been so deep that even w/115 seems like I could go wider. 2) I am usually in the weaker half of the group yet at 188 I seem to have one of the longest skis, if not the longest.

Seeing your current skis makes me see why you wanted to go shorter and makes more sense now!!!
The S7 is 188cm is “more ski” for your size and aggressiveness than ANY of the skis mentioned in this thread.
The 186cm Outline for example is about 1/2 pound lighter and far easier to manage with much lower swing weight and pivot ability. S7 were pretty good at the time but today’s skis are even more rewarding with less effort.

TS
T

Toddlasher1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Seeing your current skis makes me see why you wanted to go shorter and makes more sense now!!!
The S7 is 188cm is “more ski” for your size and aggressiveness than ANY of the skis mentioned in this thread.
The 186cm Outline for example is about 1/2 pound lighter and far easier to manage with much lower swing weight and pivot ability. S7 were pretty good at the time but today’s skis are even more rewarding with less effort.

interesting!

I was under the impression that the original s7 were designed for less aggressive skiers.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
interesting!

I was under the impression that the original s7 were designed for less aggressive skiers.

They were with their heavy rocker(50% rocker) and pin tail for easy tail release but skis today have even lighter swing weights now with even more tech in their tips and tails making the ski float even easier and turn with less effort.

The much lighter Soul 7 was a big jump to a SUPER EASY ski in soft snow for “powder beginners” but went too far of a jump down in performance for higher abilities.

Today’s powder skis are easier to ski yet aren’t pushovers in crud or for advanced skiers skiing faster.

silverback

Skier
The OP didn’t ask for swallow tails either but they would also work for him!
Hopefully this thread has shown the huge benefits in turned up tails in tight spots and the reason why almost all powder skis have large tail splay for this very reason.

The Pescado vs the Outline is similar to the K2 Mindbender 116 with its flatter tail and more traditional tail vs the Reckoner 122. The flatter tails will be more locked into turns and the more twinned tipped skis will feel more surfy and easy to pivot at lower speeds.
Like any ski, a demo might be needed to see what style of ski they actually prefer as they might be different from the ski they initially thought.

The purpose of the swallow tail is to keep the tail flat and not give up all that effective edge when you want it and less tail from the cut out when you don't. Pining, splay, upturn, etc all give you the surfy feel in powder but give up the tail when it is firmer. I was going to recommend the DPS 124 as it also has a flatter tail but I found it a little more demanding in the trees.

Last edited:

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
OP_ "-looking for about 120+ underfoot and 180 or less length (cat skiing, very deep, often tight steep trees)"

Pow days on the cat last all day.
The world is his/her oyster and I missed that detail. In this case I’d go with Armada ARG, Praxis Pow (basically same as ARGs but no longer made), or anyone else making something similar. A full reverse camber, side cut ski in untouched powder is something everyone should experience at least once. Just blew my mind how easily they could be pivoted/slid in tight situations without losing speed, and also heroish on the low angle stuff.

Sponsor