• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

powder ski guidance, please

Toddlasher1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for ideas for next POWDER specific skis

-5-11, 45 years old, 170lbs
-I do NOT ski aggressively
-Like the pop of traditional camber in powder
-prefer flatter/traditional tails
-looking for about 120+ underfoot and 180 or less length (cat skiing, very deep, often tight steep trees)

THANKS!

Reactions: BMC

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier

-looking for about 120+ underfoot and 180 or less length (cat skiing, very deep, often tight steep trees)

THANKS!
I never tried them but you sound like someone who would like something like the ON3P Cease & Desist or Moment COMI. If you want something surfier the Chipotle Banana or BC Nocta would be a good candidate but they have a full rocker construction. I decided to go the Wildcat route for more versatility but if you have other skis and want a really powder specific I don't think you can go wrong with the C&D or COMI. Would be nice if someone who tried them could chim in.

TS
T

Toddlasher1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I never tried them but you sound like someone who would like something like the ON3P Cease & Desist or Moment COMI. If you want something surfier the Chipotle Banana or BC Nocta would be a good candidate but they have a full rocker construction. I decided to go the Wildcat route for more versatility but if you have other skis and want a really powder specific I don't think you can go wrong with the C&D or COMI. Would be nice if someone who tried them could chim in.

very interesting skis, both of them check a lot of the boxes. thanks

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier

THANKS!

Why do you want flat tails? Lots of tail rocker and some taper would be a boon for the trees.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

THANKS!

If this is truly a Pure Untracked Powder Quest, you might take a peek at the Liberty Genome.

Interesting reviews on Blister and Yellow Gentian.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if you re going that big, go Praxis Protest or Moment wildcat. the 180 is going be a little short, with rocker you will be skiing on a 120mm ski. you can go longer for more stability on the steeps (assuming if your cat skiing, it will steep and deep) you could look at the New Dynastar M-free line but there's not a lot of short 120mm wide powder skis I would recommend. The Protest is the most pivoty, slarvy ski out there. Just do a search on their reviews.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Protest is the most pivoty, slarvy ski out there.

Not sure how this meshes with the OP's statement that they "prefer flatter/traditional taills"?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
do you know of a traditional ski that is 120 underfoot? by the way, did you ever see a protest? Far less tail rocker than any other ski in that class.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As Ryan mentioned above, tail splay in a soft snow ski gives much easier pivoting needed in tight spots like trees. The only wide skis that had flatter tails were 190cm plus pro model skis aimed more for VERY high speed run outs in places like AK.

Skis like the Protests or ON3P Billygoat are very fun surfy ski but might be a little heavy for a less aggressive skier.

Line Outline, K2 Reckoner 122 and Atomic Bent Chet 120 all come to mind as very easy to ski with great float and are lighter in weight. These skis will work great for a more traditional skier simply by moving their binding mounts back a bit.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Praxis ullr;
It’s my personal big boy 2’+ dump ski. Very surfy shape with a spoon tip. Decent bit of tip rocker but a lower profile tail without a ton of rocker. -8 mount point gives it a more traditional feel. I’m 6’1” 165-170 and ski it in the 194.. 185 definitely wouldn’t be too cumbersome

Lib tech wonderstick 118;
Lib makes really fun playful skis that are stupid easy to ski. Haven’t been on the wonderstick but own a lib wreckreate and have been in a few in their lineup over the past few years. It’s definitely their more traditional/directional POW ski

Rossi super 7 can be found pretty cheap these days. There’s a reason they sold so many.. it’s light, soft flex pattern in the tip and tail (without being a noodle under foot), and easy to pivot. I bet you could get new in wrapper for like $350

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
As Ryan mentioned above, tail splay in a soft snow ski gives much easier pivoting needed in tight spots like trees. The only wide skis that had flatter tails were 190cm plus pro model skis aimed more for VERY high speed run outs in places like AK.

Skis like the Protests or ON3P Billygoat are very fun surfy ski but might be a little heavy for a less aggressive skier.

Line Outline, K2 Reckoner 122 and Atomic Bent Chet 120 all come to mind as very easy to ski with great float and are lighter in weight. These skis will work great for a more traditional skier simply by moving their binding mounts back a bit.

And if you are more of a directional skier (ie, more traditional mount point) check out K2 Mindbender 116C and Liberty Origin 112, Line Pescado

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fwiw I think you’re looking for something too short give your terrain and objectives. I’d think ~184 is better than <180 and ~190 could well be better than either.

Also, my $.02 is that flat tails make trees harder, not easier, especially in pow. I struggle to think of a flat tailed ski that wide which was built for mellow pow instead of being a mixed conditions ballistic missile (a la Moment Commander 118).

That said, I have some skis that wide that need to get tested this year (C&D, DPS Lotus 124) Ullr and COVID permitting. More “resort pow” spec I love the ON3P Billy Goat.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
do you know of a traditional ski that is 120 underfoot?

Yes, the Liberty Genome I originally suggested the OP at least consider. From Blister:

"The Genome actually strays away from the shaping techniques we normally see for dedicated pow skis, namely, a lot of taper and a ton of rocker. While the Genome certainly has plenty of tip rocker, it’s tail rocker line isn’t all that deep (it looks more like a big twin tip)."

And it's BIG!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
the protest will pivot if you think hard enough, its not heavy

Was thinking more the Billy Goat as being heavier and the Protest just heavier than the other lighter options I mentioned below that comment. Protest are awesome skis but the Outline, Bent 120 or Reckoner 122 are even lighter and easier to ski. Sacrifice crud performance vs the Protests of course though.

And you are correct that only skis like the old Head A Star, Moment Governor(Flatter Tailed Bibby) and now Moment Commanders are some of the only “flatter tail” skis out there. Still not flat compared to groomer skis but not full twin tips like most wider skis. Again designed for high speed, aggressive skiers down large open mountain faces.

(it looks more like a big twin tip)."

The Liberty Genome has larger TAIL splay than the front TIP splay of the Evolve line so it’s very much a twin tip(not a traditional flat tail). Not as deep tail rocker but lots of splay again for easy pivoting.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
....and its

DIMENSIONS 170-141-158 @187cm

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I’m @todlasher1 ‘s size and my current soft snow / powder quiver consists of Praxis Protests, Line Pescados, ON3P Cease & Desists and Billy Goats, DPS112rp, Stockli Stormrider 107s, and Kastle MX98s (yes, I do ski powder on a 98 and yes it is fun but I probably wouldn't grab it for a cat trip).

In the past 7-8 years, I’ve owned (and sold on) DPS 138, DPS 120 spoon, DPS 124, Stockli Stormrider Pro, Dynastar XXL, PM Gear Lhasa Fat, Moment Bibby & Belafonte.

I’ve demoed several others.

IMHO, the ski he wants is the Pescado.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Was thinking more the Billy Goat as being heavier and the Protest just heavier than the other lighter options I mentioned below that comment. Protest are awesome skis but the Outline, Bent 120 or Reckoner 122 are even lighter and easier to ski. Sacrifice crud performance vs the Protests of course though.

I'm totally with you and (not criticizing) feel the OP may not be looking at this with a full understanding of what you typically encounter on most Cat skiing (I've only beencat skiing in British Columbia and here). I asked but I dont think I got an answer on where he's skiing.

I didnt list the Chetler only because it's deep rocker lines but it is uber easy to ski an uber fun too! Get that in the 184 and call it done. the idea of the 180 AND meeting the original specs is really unrealistic. I know you know this, but all rocker is not alike, theres a huge difference between "rise/splay" and "run" or length of rocker. the protest has low splay, long run. I dont get too hung up on ski weight because unless you are skinning, the swing weight is more important to me. The Praxis has an extremely low swing weight so it skis effortlessly. it more stiff than a Bentchetler so it does do better in chop and heavier/dense snow. However, all said and done, I'd grab a Bentchetler if its going to be light snow or consider a Moment Wildcat or Protest otherwise. There's also several excellent skis in the 115 range too.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
MHO, the ski he wants is the Pescado.

My “Best guess ski he’d like” was the Line Outline so if he stays with Line he should be good! Haha

Never been on the Pescado but was blown away with how easy the boat hull Convex tips/tails of the Outline cut through untracked snow. Really felt like a boat!
Have a friend who has the Sakana as his soft snow/Spring ski and loves it.

Sponsor

Staff online