• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Powder Highway Advice - So Many Options, So Little Time

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Suggested Silver Star 'cause the already chosen destinations are Revelstoke and Sun Peaks starting and finishing in Kelowna. SS is hardly a stone's throw outside the expected drive.

View attachment 181376

If I had to pick between SS and SP I probably wouldn't make that decision based on terrain variety (both just fine), pricing (didn't notice any real difference but guess that depends on what's being bought) nor weekend/holiday crowding. Makes perfect sense for an Ikon holder to go SP. But why not sample both?
The preferred route between Sun Peaks and Revelstoke is hwy #1 thru Salmon Arm.

Vernon (population 40k) is only 20 minutes from Silver Star, so inexpensive motel rooms are an option. OTOH there are a lot of skiers, including lots of retirees, who on a powder day, drop what they are doing and show up for a few pow runs.

SP vs SS: The Star has more double black diamond mogul runs; The Peaks has more groomed (including a few easy blacks and some blue runs that are the equivilent of Jackson Hole double blue), with nobody else is on the run, so go as fast as you want high speed cruising. SS gets slightly more snow; SP gets slightly drier snow.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread is absolutely a gem of information...and it will definitely be resurrected when we plan a trip to BC.
As promised...I'd like to bring this thread back to life! Austria was great ... then Japan somehow cut the line and ended up as my 2024 destination. Now that season passes are coming out for next year, my husband and I are exploring our options again. Currently leaning towards a BC trip.

Red and Whitewater are at the top of my list, with Revelstoke, Fernie, and Kicking Horse not too far behind. Castle has piqued my interest, but it's kind of out there without much of a fallback plan if weather doesn't cooperate. We will have Ikon passes this year...which makes Red and Revelstoke very appealing.

Few questions to kickstart my research:
1. How painful is the drive between Red and Revelstoke in the winter? Google shows 4-ish hours...how realistic is that timeframe?
2. We're considering anywhere between 1-2 weeks. This would mean weekend skiing...how crowded do Red and/or Revelstoke get on weekends? If you had to choose one to avoid on weekends, which would it be?
3. How many days would you allocate to each: Red, Revelstoke, and Whitewater resorts/areas?
4. Seems like it's either staying in Rossland or Nelson for Red/Whitewater, but they're 1 hour+ away from each other...any recommendations "in between" for accommodations?
5. Time of year...thinking early March? When's the best skiing for this part of BC?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
As promised...I'd like to bring this thread back to life! Austria was great ... then Japan somehow cut the line and ended up as my 2024 destination. Now that season passes are coming out for next year, my husband and I are exploring our options again. Currently leaning towards a BC trip.

Red and Whitewater are at the top of my list, with Revelstoke, Fernie, and Kicking Horse not too far behind. Castle has piqued my interest, but it's kind of out there without much of a fallback plan if weather doesn't cooperate. We will have Ikon passes this year...which makes Red and Revelstoke very appealing.

Few questions to kickstart my research:
1. How painful is the drive between Red and Revelstoke in the winter? Google shows 4-ish hours...how realistic is that timeframe?
2. We're considering anywhere between 1-2 weeks. This would mean weekend skiing...how crowded do Red and/or Revelstoke get on weekends? If you had to choose one to avoid on weekends, which would it be?
3. How many days would you allocate to each: Red, Revelstoke, and Whitewater resorts/areas?
4. Seems like it's either staying in Rossland or Nelson for Red/Whitewater, but they're 1 hour+ away from each other...any recommendations "in between" for accommodations?
5. Time of year...thinking early March? When's the best skiing for this part of BC?

1. There's a ferry, you'll usually get on the first boat, but you'll have to wait a bit. The drive is mostly lower elevation, so it's not a terrible winter drive, but the region is pretty isolated and highway maintenance might not be as high a priority as the main east-west routes. I've never had an issue though.

2. Revelstoke gets more city people on weekends. Calgarians and even Edmontonians and Vancouverites often make their way to Revelstoke on for long weekends (taking Fridays off). Red is pretty isolated. Spokane is a good sized city, but crossing the border can be a pain, and there are good resorts on the US side. Whitewater draws from Nelson, Calstlegar, and Triail too. Neither resort is "busy", but Revelstoke can get some bad gondola lines on powder mornings...especially on powder saturdays. Revelstoke also has more international hype...and more international tourists.

3. At least 2 for Red and Revy. 1 should be enough for inbounds in Whitewater. More days are always better though. For 10 days, I would do 4 Red, 2 White, 4 Revy.

Whitewater is pretty small inbounds....red and revy are not, and they both ski bigger than their trail maps would suggest. This is especially true for Red where you can find a lot of variety in slightly different tree lines. Revy is a bit tough to lap with a long exit from north bowl, the return on ripper and glide back to stoke.

4. I would stay in Rossland and/or Nelson. Rossland is a quiet, but really cool ski town. It's nice being up on the mountain. There's more to do in Nelson, good restaurants, bars etc. I have never considered staying in between. The other towns are either very small, like Salmo, or less charming (trail and castlegar).

5. I would prefer the first half of February. The resorts do not have high elevation, and spring comes a bit earlier here than the Banff area. March can be very good, but there's a lower chance of melt freeze or rain at elevation earlier in the season.

It is a good idea to combine Castle with a Fernie trip. Add on Kicking Horse for that loop too. Kicking Horse and Fernie are on Epic. These are probably best done on another trip....unless you are flying into calgary. If so, you can hit castle and/or fernie on the way to or from red/white or kicking horse on the way to or from revy. But if you are going to Calgary, Louise and Sunshine (and Pano) are also on IKON....so separate trips are often better.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Mike Rogers, great intel!

One more question to add to the mix...any Canadian school holidays to avoid when ski areas are more busy? I'm sure the US Presidents' day in Feb. probably influences some bigger resorts, or ones near the border. But anything else I should be aware of for Feb/March timeframe?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Mike Rogers, great intel!

One more question to add to the mix...any Canadian school holidays to avoid when ski areas are more busy? I'm sure the US Presidents' day in Feb. probably influences some bigger resorts, or ones near the border. But anything else I should be aware of for Feb/March timeframe?
I don't have kids, so I don't know all the dates, but February 17, 2025 will be a holiday in Alberta and BC. University students usually get that week off as well. In Calgary there is a teacher's convention on the Thursday and friday before the February long weekend, so the week before and after February 17 will be busier.
In Calgary, spring break is the last week of march.

I skied Fernie over the February long weekend this year, and we didn't have any significant lift lines, but cheap hotel rooms sold out. We stayed in Crowsnest Pass!

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've just done road trip from Big White to Red to Fernie to Castle and then home via Calgary
13 days skiing out of 18 days away from NZ
One thing we wouldn't do again is drive for 3 or so hours in darkness on roads we don't know
All of the lane markings were always covered by grit and the rumble strips give you a hell of a fright when you think you're on the right part of the road.
There was virtually no traffic to follow in the right position on the roads.
The roads were all in good overall condition though.
We were told by a local to be careful going over a couple of the passes (Crows Nest?) because in winter they take away the concrete barriers so that the snow can be pushed over the side and off the roads..

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently on a trip that includes Sun Peaks, Big White, and Red. Have skied Revy, Silver Star, Panorama, Fernie, and Whitewater in past years. I agree with everything @Mike Rogers says. I’d also weigh in on @Turoa Kiwi’s points about driving. We find that taking a day off and driving from resort to resort during the daytime is a much better approach. Even people used to winter driving will find BC roads challenging at night in the winter. There’s a LOT of skiing to be had; no need to skip a rest day every couple of days.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Accommodation wise I can recommend the condos at White Crystal Inn at Big White. Ski in ski out and a great restaurant on the ground floor called the Bull Wheel . Highly recommend the Pork spare ribs especially when its two for one night!! Black Diamond Bar and grill were closing when we got there late after our arrival from NZ but said that could do us a pasta meal at short notice. It was delicious. Again, highly recommended

Red Mountain is getting a whole heap of new condos being built so by next season it may be easier to stay up there as opposed to driving up from Rossland. We stayed at the hostel on the mountain and would only slightly recommend it to younger people. Soulless, with management and staff that didn't care about any issues that needed sorting out. Whoever designed it had never been to a mountain

Fernie Mountain has a range of accommodation on the hill but it has got quite a bit more expensive since we were there in 2020.
Its only a 12 min drive from town where there are plenty of options. We stayed at Canadas Best Value Suites
I wouldn't recommend the place though. A bit scrubby and on the main road. Very noisy, especially when the snow plows do 6 passes twice a night.........

For Castle we stayed at The Ramada Inn in Pincher Creek. A bit of a drive each way to Castle but great facilities with a few restaurants in close proximity
Hot tub, and an indoor swimming pool with a water slide for us 60 year olds to have fun on. Great complimentary breakfast too

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree that Red doesn't get very crowded on weekends. 49° North is 20 minutes off the highway between Spokane and Red, and it's even less crowded, while still very fun. If you decide driving to/from Revelstoke is too much, Schweitzer in Idaho is very fun, on the Ikon, and more convenient to Red/Whitewater/Spokane.

This year was unusual, with early season conditions persisting into early February. But usually mid-January to mid-March is great.

I agree with Mike Rogers that there isn't a whole lot in between Red and Whitewater that makes sense. Castlegar is ok and if you're looking to save money, it might be a good choice. Cartwright's Pub in Castelgar has great food and a friendly crowd.

Whitewater opened a new lift/additional terrain this season, and I haven't seen any trip reports since. Even with the addition, I'm sure it's not as much mountain as Red or Revelstoke (or Schweitzer), but it might make Whitewater worth more than two days. I still haven't been there at all, though it's still on my to-ski list.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you decide driving to/from Revelstoke is too much, Schweitzer in Idaho is very fun, on the Ikon, and more convenient to Red/Whitewater/Spokane.
Schweitzer wasn’t on my radar…but I’ll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
1. The drive up the river is next to Valhalla. It's one of the more scenic routes and you pass through the up and coming vibrant metropolis of *New* Denver. There are multiple hot springs, but the most developed, Halcyon is about 10 min from the ferry terminal. The free ferry runs on the hour so it's easy to stop at the hot springs and soak if your timing allows. 4hrs is accurate if you time the ferry perfect. Miss the boat and it's 5. Plan to drive in daylight.

2. All else being equal I would pick Red for the weekends over Revy.

3. If you are staying inbounds, more days at Revy, then Red, Then WW. If you ski sidecountry I would drop some days at Red for WW.

4. Salmo is halfway, a couple divey hotels, liquor store and a subway! I would recommend staying in Rossland when skiing Red, and staying in Nelson when skiing WW, with more nights in Nelson.

5. These resorts favour the early season. Late Jan/Early Feb if you favour powder over sunlight.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweitzer wasn’t on my radar…but I’ll look into it. Thanks for the tip!
I'm planning a group trip to Schweitzer the last week of Feb 2025. Seems like a big mountain with a laid back vibe.
There's also a bunch of Indy Pass resorts in that area, and if you're planning to road trip around for a week we found the smaller mountains to be lots of fun and less hassle.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning a group trip to Schweitzer the last week of Feb 2025. Seems like a big mountain with a laid back vibe.
There's also a bunch of Indy Pass resorts in that area, and if you're planning to road trip around for a week we found the smaller mountains to be lots of fun and less hassle.
I won’t have the Indy Pass this year, but still entertaining some of those smaller mountains…their day passes are generally still reasonable to purchase. I love supporting the little guys, and enjoy the vibes at those ski areas…as you say no hassle.

Who knows…maybe we’ll end up at Schweitzer at the same time.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can we solve the "where to hold the gathering?" question by just riding Aaron's and Lauren's coattails?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Who knows…maybe we’ll end up at Schweitzer at the same time.
Give a heads up when you know your dates and I might be able to arrange to visit there, it’s about a 6 hour drive for me.

Sponsor

Staff online