• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
1844881.gif

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't think you are allowed to shoot trespassers, not even in Alberta when they are armed and stealing your stuff. Maybe in Texas:huh:
He lives in TX and there are actually quite a few states that allow you to protect property with deadly force.

If you're interested, search "castle doctrine," which should put you on the path for research purposes, as well as "make my day" laws and "stand your ground" laws. Laws vary by state, I don't know exactly how it works when people trespass to recreate, and it's always easier to win your side of the argument if the other party is dead. Also worth noting that strongly worded signs have pros and cons as far as "attractive nuisances" are concerned, but there I am even more out of my depth.

From
:

Under Colorado’s law, any occupant of a dwelling may use deadly force against an intruder when the occupant reasonably believes the intruder (1) has committed or intends to commit a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry and (2) might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant of the dwelling. This is a lower standard of justification than appears, for example, in Colorado’s historical self-defense statute, which is codified at section 18-1-704, C.R.S.

Colorado also has longstanding statutes justifying the use of physical force in special relationships (18-1-703, C.R.S.), in defense of premises (18-1-705, C.R.S.), and in defense of property (18-1-706, C.R.S.).

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
If you're interested, search "castle doctrine," which should put you on the path for research purposes, as well as "make my day" laws and "stand your ground" laws. Laws vary by state, I don't know exactly how it works when people trespass to recreate, and it's always easier to win your side of the argument if the other party is dead. Also worth noting that strongly worded signs have pros and cons as far as "attractive nuisances" are concerned, but there I am even more out of my depth.

From
:

Under Colorado’s law, any occupant of a dwelling may use deadly force against an intruder when the occupant reasonably believes the intruder (1) has committed or intends to commit a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry and (2) might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant of the dwelling. This is a lower standard of justification than appears, for example, in Colorado’s historical self-defense statute, which is codified at section 18-1-704, C.R.S.

Colorado also has longstanding statutes justifying the use of physical force in special relationships (18-1-703, C.R.S.), in defense of premises (18-1-705, C.R.S.), and in defense of property (18-1-706, C.R.S.).
I know this is a bit off the subject but I think the basis behind the use of force is pretty much identical.
We had some bear issues here and when we contacted the wildlife officers they told us that if you end up shooting a bear that the first words out of your mouth should be "I was in fear of my life" and those words should be repeated at every opportunity.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know this is a bit off the subject but I think the basis behind the use of force is pretty much identical.
We had some bear issues here and when we contacted the wildlife officers they told us that if you end up shooting a bear that the first words out of your should be "I was in fear of my life" and those words should be repeated at every opportunity.

If I'm confronted by an angry bear, yeah, that would not be even the slightest exaggeration!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
true,
saying that didn't help the tourist a number of years ago who stepped out of his motorhome in Banff to empty his revolver into an unsuspecting bear.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Also
104545188_10220682765997283_6874125280075290625_n.jpg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
We had some bear issues here and when we contacted the wildlife officers they told us that if you end up shooting a bear that the first words out of your mouth should be "I was in fear of my life" and those words should be repeated at every opportunity.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Never got the starving children routine. I did stand in the kitchen a couple of times finishing vegetables.

View attachment 105374
growing up we got the tough love platitudes, which of course included "just you wait till your father comes home". Amazingly Mom could also be surprisingly lenient. I remember putting a plate together with no veggies at a church potluck and one of the little old ladies said something to mom. Moms reply. "well they won't get rickets in one day"

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Never got the starving children routine. I did stand in the kitchen a couple of times finishing vegetables.

View attachment 105374

Back in the day they used to sell single rides on the lift or a value pack of 10. A liftie worked the queue clipping the ticket for each ride. They also sold day passes and we kids would always want a day pass - just to be cool - even on days with the most abysmal weather. By that stage our mum wasn't skiing that much which gave her plenty of time to count our runs to make sure we got value from the day pass. Try to sneak in early without making quota and it was a mum directed u-turn. Hypothermia be damned.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
growing up we got the tough love platitudes, which of course included "just you wait till your father comes home". Amazingly Mom could also be surprisingly lenient. I remember putting a plate together with no veggies at a church potluck and one of the little old ladies said something to mom. Moms reply. "well they won't get rickets in one day"

We never got the ‘wait till you father gets home’ routine. Mom handled it right then and there. I learned really quickly, it’s easy to live here, just follow the rules. The rules were known and did not change. Punishment fit the crime. We called them object lessons. You never wanted an object lesson. They never hurt, but the point was made.

Example: My sisters had stacks of comic books, about 5 feet thick when stacked. (This happened when I was around two. My sisters were 10 and 12 years older than me.) The folks got tired of picking them up. The warning was issued. If you don’t pick up your comics when you are done with them, there will be an object lesson. Well a couple of days later there were comics scattered around. Dad said, girls get ALL your comics. Now spread them around. No, not in groups, one by one, not touching each other. The comics got spread all over the house. Now, pick them up. While they were doing that Mom and Dad would ask, what are you doing? Girls, in lowered voices, picking up our books. Mom and Dad, why? Girls, because we didn’t put them away. There was never a comic book left out after reading after that. We all have fond memories of object lessons.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll admit to having my mouth washed out. Blech!
I got that too. Once and only once. And it wasn't just a bar of soap. No, it was a washrag that was bubbling with soap. There was no way to delicately hold the bar in your teeth. You got the full flavor. Once.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Come to California where air is still free at all gas stations by state law ! They still have these pay machines so out of state dummies
can throw away coins ! just push a button on the side or tell the clerk to turn it on !
Close, but small correction. The law is it is to be free for Kids (for bicycles or toys) and for customers who make a purchase of fuel. It is not free across the board.
The clerk is just doing you a favor like free napkin or free ketchup at McD, and not giving you a hard time to enforce you actually made a purchase. I bet they also didn't give you a hard time if you needed the restroom either. If you were a literal bum off the street in a rough neighborhood (like some stations with bank bulletproof shields for the cashier), it maybe a different story.

Most don't care about the negligible cost of the air/water/electricity. It's forcing this 1 human interaction to dissuade the free-riders from overusing the system and who'll smash up the nozzle/hose. Plus maybe you'll buy some snacks, which is where gas station profit comes from anyway.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid