• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
E1A4566C-DA92-44F4-A96D-88EB3B80D6FC.jpeg

Lane Lake with Mount Emma, Hoover Wilderness, California

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Played a round (well got beat) at Indian Canyon Golf Course yesterday here in Spokane. Life location and circumstances had kept me from playing this course for about 30 years.
It is a city owned muni with quite a history. The site of a US Armature in the late 40's. Elevation changes comparable to Augusta National (a clue, when you see switch backs in a cart path, it is probably pretty steep). Greens designed in Hell. Extensive rebuilding of a few holes and the watering system by Robert Trent Jones done this last year. You go up and down 260' of elevation change 4 times. Weather in the mid 70's and slight breeze.
For a muni it really is pretty special. It has been the local manhood test for golfers for a very long time. Many State and regional championships held here over the years.

1st hole from next to the tee box. You are looking down at the tops of 80' pine trees. M=Notice the cart path.
20200822_075445.jpg

Looking up the 9th fairway. We have all skied a LOT of runs flatter than this and it is not the steepest hole by far.
20200822_100827.jpg

I look forward to going back again a whole lot sooner. If you are coming across I-90 for a golf trip stop, you will be glad you did.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photo taken of Mont Blanc (Monte Bianco) from the Col de Balme on the French-Swiss border. The Chamonix Valley can be seen in the lower right side of the photo. The town closest to me (photographer) is Argentiere and further down valley some of Chamonix is evident. The Aiguille du Midi is close to being inline with my location and the summit of Mont Blanc but in the foreground on the mountainside at somewhat lower elevation than Mont Blanc. The ski lift in the foreground is part of the Le Tour/Vallorcine/Balme Ski Resort/Complex and just over the ridge behind the lift (if one zooms in) ski lifts at Grands Montets Ski Resort can be seen. Behind the ridge beyond the ski lifts at Grands Montets is a canyon where the famous Mer de Grace is located. The long tongue of glacial ice extending down toward Chamonix is Glacier des Bossons. Just beyond it behind the ridgeline and partially hidden is Glacier de Taconnaz, which extends an (approximately) equal distance towards the valley floor. Although difficult to appreciate from this photo, the elevation difference between the summit of Mont Blanc and the town of Chamonix is nearly 12,400'.
MtBlanc.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Photo taken of Mont Blanc (Monte Bianco) from the Col de Balme on the French-Swiss border. The Chamonix Valley can be seen in the lower right side of the photo. The town closest to me (photographer) is Argentiere and further down valley some of Chamonix is evident. The Aiguille du Midi is close to being inline with my location and the summit of Mont Blanc but in the foreground on the mountainside at somewhat lower elevation than Mont Blanc. The ski lift in the foreground is part of the Le Tour/Vallorcine/Balme Ski Resort/Complex and just over the ridge behind the lift (if one zooms in) ski lifts at Grands Montets Ski Resort can be seen. Behind the ridge beyond the ski lifts at Grands Montets is a canyon where the famous Mer de Grace is located. The long tongue of glacial ice extending down toward Chamonix is Glacier des Bossons. Just beyond it behind the ridgeline and partially hidden is Glacier de Taconnaz, which extends an (approximately) equal distance towards the valley floor. Although difficult to appreciate from this photo, the elevation difference between the summit of Mont Blanc and the town of Chamonix is nearly 12,400'.
View attachment 108701
Last winter, we drove over the mountain from Chamonix to Martigny. Sort of near where you photo is from? It’s quite the drive. The only reason we did it was the road was dry and temps were above freezing.
Any type of snow would be bad.

I see I didn’t take photos. All I have-
Martigny, Switzerland from the road over.
1DC6E039-3E62-483C-A924-A2C5A97937AF.jpeg

Headed back over to France. The Swiss side is covered with terraced grape vines. They have a cable basket that runs down the hill for harvesting. What a nightmare to harvest or work on them, it’s steep.

A7F43E5B-863C-4D97-B1BA-B0739AA73C0D.jpeg

These guys were over towards Vallorcine/Argentiere/Chamonix.

Ironically, on the way over, the World Cup was in Chamonix.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last winter, we drove over the mountain from Chamonix to Martigny. Sort of near where you photo is from? It’s quite the drive. The only reason we did it was the road was dry and temps were above freezing.
Any type of snow would be bad.

I see I didn’t take photos. All I have-
Martigny, Switzerland from the road over.
View attachment 108785
Headed back over to France. The Swiss side is covered with terraced grape vines. They have a cable basket that runs down the hill for harvesting. What a nightmare to harvest or work on them, it’s steep.

View attachment 108786
These guys were over towards Vallorcine/Argentiere/Chamonix.

Ironically, on the way over, the World Cup was in Chamonix.
Thanks for sharing those photos! The animals featured in the second are chamois, normally seen at higher elevation but, like many animals native to the Rocky Mountains, they head to lower terrain in the winter in search of more easily sourced food to sustain them until snowmelt season. The first photo of Martigny displays the Rhone River Valley east of and upstream of the city in the background. That valley is chock-a-block full of all kinds of fruit orchards for many, many consecutive kilometers. I distinctly remember the expansive mountainsides of grape vineyards you referred to while descending from the Col de la Forclaz down to Martigny. You're right, they were planted in steep terrain with several contraptions (similar to stairlifts that some elderly have installed in their homes but quite a bit larger and traveling a far, far, far longer distance) for transporting harvested product off the mountainside. My wife and I travelled this route while in the midst of a six-month-long bike tour of Western Europe, the British Isles, and several Mediterranean islands. I believe we had to stop twice on the descent to cool off our rims before they overheated!

The Col de Balme is approximately 10 kilometers from the Col de la Forclaz as the crow flys and about 3,500' higher in elevation. It is a mountain pass transited by backpackers (and skiers!) for two popular long-distance routes: the Tour de Mont Blanc (TMB) and the Haute Route. I took the photo displayed upthread while my wife and I were independently backpacking the TMB, which circumnavigates the Mont Blanc massif while passing through three countries (FR, SU, & IT).

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks for sharing those photos! The animals featured in the second are chamois, normally seen at higher elevation but, like many animals native to the Rocky Mountains, they head to lower terrain in the winter in search of more easily sourced food to sustain them until snowmelt season. The first photo of Martigny displays the Rhone River Valley east of and upstream of the city in the background. That valley is chock-a-block full of all kinds of fruit orchards for many, many consecutive kilometers. I distinctly remember the expansive mountainsides of grape vineyards you referred to while descending from the Col de la Forclaz down to Martigny. You're right, they were planted in steep terrain with several contraptions (similar to stairlifts that some elderly have installed in their homes but quite a bit larger and traveling a far, far, far longer distance) for transporting harvested product off the mountainside. My wife and I travelled this route while in the midst of a six-month-long bike tour of Western Europe, the British Isles, and several Mediterranean islands. I believe we had to stop twice on the descent to cool off our rims before they overheated!

The Col de Balme is approximately 10 kilometers from the Col de la Forclaz as the crow flys and about 3,500' higher in elevation. It is a mountain pass transited by backpackers (and skiers!) for two popular long-distance routes: the Tour de Mont Blanc (TMB) and the Haute Route. I took the photo displayed upthread while my wife and I were independently backpacking the TMB, which circumnavigates the Mont Blanc massif while passing through three countries (FR, SU, & IT).
Good stuff.
Also in Martigny- The Museum and dogs of St Bernard

F0E13460-3DFD-4074-A24B-083643C1873A.jpeg

21B896EE-4E10-4E11-89D0-5A2EF2C708C1.jpeg

In Martigny is the Fondation Pierre Gianadda Museum. This was a Lautrec lithograph from a show at the time, Feb 2018.
0038DF58-0F9D-469B-9968-8BD9B9E9F22B.jpeg

And further down the valley, Sion. This was the day skiing from Verbier we got stuck sort of on purpose. “If we don’t turn around now, it’s going to be an adventure getting back...” So we kept going. That led to a bus from Veysonnaz to the Sion train station; train to Martigny; train to Le Chable; gondola back to Verbier. Fun times.

F48A207E-C1A6-414B-B78F-B9ACCDB2486F.jpeg

In ski gear and boots, Atomic S9 rentals, Killington ticket on jacket. Sion station.

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good stuff.
Also in Martigny- The Museum and dogs of St Bernard

View attachment 108810
View attachment 108811

In Martigny is the Fondation Pierre Gianadda Museum. This was a Lautrec lithograph from a show at the time, Feb 2018.
View attachment 108809

And further down the valley, Sion. This was the day skiing from Verbier we got stuck sort of on purpose. “If we don’t turn around now, it’s going to be an adventure getting back...” So we kept going. That led to a bus from Veysonnaz to the Sion train station; train to Martigny; train to Le Chable; gondola back to Verbier. Fun times.

View attachment 108812
In ski gear and boots, Atomic S9 rentals, Killington ticket on jacket. Sion station.
Pretty hard to beat the Swiss public transportation system for punctuality and the extent of its network! After 15 days on the trail, we completed the TMB and rented a flat in the Les Plans neighborhood of Chamonix for 2 weeks. We spent our time mostly hiking and climbing. One day we hiked up to Montenvers, toured the Ice Grotto/Cave, visited the Glaciorium (Glacier Museum), explored the surrounding area, and hiked back "home". Here's a photo taken from near Montenvers of a section of the Mer de Glace, the largest glacier in France (7 kilometers long: it once extended down to the Chamonix Valley but has been continually shrinking for many, many decades).
MerdeGlace.jpg

Inside the entrance to the Ice Grotto/Cave.
MerdeGlace3.jpg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Summer is Losing :) Today's post from MT Washington : Temperatures dropped just below 30 degrees overnight, providing a wintry August morning here at the summit with strong winds, freezing fog and all! We expect temperatures to come back up and remain above freezing today, so we're enjoying the rime ice while it lasts.

1598541891746.png

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterdays Day Hike, Mount Pugh Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA

The summit is up there
P1050478.jpeg

This is supposed to be a trail
P1050475.jpeg

Washingtons Matterhorn through the haze
P1050468.jpeg

P1050471.jpeg

Glacier Peak Volcano
P1050470.jpeg

Zoomer
P1050461.jpeg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photo is of the Glacier des Petoudes, taken from near the Refuge des Petoudes in the Swiss region of the Mont Blanc massif. Our destination is the lowest elevation point on the facing ridge named Fenetre d'Arpette, one of the more exciting and scenic mountain passes along the Haute Route.
Suisse.jpg

Sponsor