• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
More fun in the sun ☀ , this time at the ski area.
Somehow managed to bruise the lower (12th) rib at the same spot at the hill a few days later. One of those that are not connected to the sternum. Slow body twisting fall, not high impact, but still hurts like hell, so not looking promising for the rest of the season.

I'm used to breaking ribs, have done that 6 times in the last 15 years including one in the last month. That's usually uncomplicated, hurts for 4-6 weeks but have been able to continue skiing/biking almost like normal. More unsure about this one, feels different...
& I thought we were gonna have a crash video
:philgoat:
Hope you heal well. At least it was at the end of the season.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
More fun in the sun ☀ , this time at the ski area.

I'm used to breaking ribs, have done that 6 times in the last 15 years including one in the last month. That's usually uncomplicated, hurts for 4-6 weeks but have been able to continue skiing/biking almost like normal. More unsure about this one, feels different...
Get X-Rayed. If it is the sternum you do not want to mess around.
I had open heart surgery a bit over 6 weeks ago, the sternum was cut top to bottom. Docs are all thrilled with my progress, and I am now allowed to lift a whooping 15 pounds. No bike and no short game golf for another 6 weeks. Any kind of a break or cut in the sternum is not a do it yourself fix.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry no crash video, but can make a good description;-) There was as a big snow covered hump in the middle of the hill. Standing on top of it about to start. Really rotten snow in the sun facing steep face of it. Skied down the face of it, but had to make a sharp unplanned turn right there since a guy in front and to the right of me suddenly started traversing in under it. The rotten snow couldn't handle that type of turn and outside ski sunk in deep into the rotten snow, binding released, body continued and side of the trunk hitting the snow. Should have seen that coming, in hindsight it was really obvious that the guy in front might start traversing back to the groomer... We where both standing still and started moving the same time.

Dr Chat-GDP
How to deal with a bruised floating ribs?

Floating ribs are the two lowermost pairs of ribs in the chest that do not attach to the sternum. Bruising of the floating ribs can be very painful and cause difficulty breathing. Here are some tips to manage bruised floating ribs:
  1. Rest: Rest the affected area and avoid any activities or movements that can cause pain.
  2. Ice: Apply ice to the affected area for 20-30 minutes every few hours. Wrap the ice pack in a towel or use a cold gel pack.
  3. Pain Relief: Take over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to reduce pain and swelling.
  4. Support: Wear a chest or rib brace to support the injured area and limit movement.
  5. Heat:After 48 hours, apply moist heat to the area for 20-30 minutes every few hours to promote healing and reduce muscle tension.
  6. Sleep on your back: Sleep on your back with a pillow under your knees to reduce the strain on your ribs.
  7. Breathing exercises: Practice deep breathing exercises to help clear out any fluid in your lungs and prevent infection.
If your pain persists or is severe, it is important to seek medical attention to rule out any serious injuries.

According to dr Chat-GDP I can wait to see if pain persists. Dr google has lots of info on cronic floating rib syndrome, but not so much on acute damage inflicted pain in the same area, so your right, I should probably go see a real doctor...

Open heart surgery sound scary. Take care and heal well @Bad Bob

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Why of course after all that national news last week about California AR storms, some member had to be skiing powder. So yes folks its a fun, smoothly cold snow soft, low gradient bounce glancing powder skiing video. Skied Dodge Ridge yesterday Thursday 2/8/2024. Only my day 4. Got on the novice Chair 1 lift about 9:50am and made 3 runs with my 2012 S7's (173cm 109mm at boot) down beside the groomed Gentle Ben trail that I GoPro Hero 8 recorded. First run, light reasonable with good surface definition, but flat cloud light on second and third runs. Notice how at the video start, my shovels push up into the air at the bounce phase down of each turn, totally loose cold snow surface flakes.

Processed the video this morning and uploaded the 3:27 minute video onto my Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@davids1586 account.

Last edited:

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our 5-year-old (in his 2nd season) recently learned to sideslip from his older brother, and yesterday he sideslipped most of Superstar at Killington. I'm thinking about signing him up as a volunteer (course slipper) for World Cup races at Killington. Not sure they would accept a 5-year-old though :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually, he skis as well as this guy who goes past at 5 secs.
IMG_2252.jpeg

But maximize his gliding in curves on easier terrain.

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our 5-year-old (in his 2nd season) recently learned to sideslip from his older brother, and yesterday he sideslipped most of Superstar at Killington.
Yeah! Doing more sideslipping in children's lessons would be a great idea. I call it skiing sideways, LOL.

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is from a few years ago but I don't think my skiing has changed since then. After the pitch rolls over into a steeper section my left turns all end with a goofy A frame, I assume some lazy habit from being right handed/footed. Suggestions?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This is from a few years ago but I don't think my skiing has changed since then. After the pitch rolls over into a steeper section my left turns all end with a goofy A frame, I assume some lazy habit from being right handed/footed. Suggestions?

Any history of injuries on the right side? Right knee problems can easily produce that abstem (speaking from experience).

Sponsor