• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Performance Metabolic Testing

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you could nail down exactly what you needed to do in order to be better at your craft, would you do it? Would you thrive with that level of accountability?

We're extremely fortunate to have the Durango Performance Center at our disposal. For the cost of two new tires, Rotem Moses Ishay will conduct metabolic physiological testing, and provide a plan that will take you on a path of improvement.

Here's a quick story on my experience.

https://gearjunkie.com/metabolic-performance-testing-recreational-athlete

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I dunno, my tires are $19 each!! :D

That's cool tech. I wish I was able to be in a fit enough state to make it worthwhile for me. :( I currently measure my race performance in a binary fashion: last || not last..

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I dunno, my tires are $19 each!! :D

That's cool tech. I wish I was able to be in a fit enough state to make it worthwhile for me. :( I currently measure my race performance in a binary fashion: last || not last..

The US road and mtn bike nationals are on my calendar for this year. The goal, is also, not to finish last. :)

Depending on how I feel I might push it at the Breck Epic. This year is about prepping through low intensity rides, and getting my sprint on in 2020, when I'll be 60.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cool. Now you need to figure out how to get insurance to cover it.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Cool. Now you need to figure out how to get insurance to cover it.

Actually, the way I rock it....

- My usual, doctor issued yearly blood test costs about $300 with our shitty, self-insured, weliveinruralcolorado insurance.

- InsideTracker often runs discounts.

- For maybe another $200 I get information that is sooooo much more actionable. And by giving InsideTracker the metrics that my doctor is after, they incorporate those into their test, so everyone gets what they need.

In 2020, when I turn 60, I plan on having a big competitive year. I might spring for quarterly blood draws then.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Nice article!

I'm interested in how you incorporate the test results into your training plan? Are you self-coached or you have a coach that is designing your plan?

Rotem, the physiologist, outlined what I should be doing based on my event goals, current training volume, etc.

In my case, if I had just looked at FPT test numbers, everything looked super solid for my age: FPT HR of 166. Body fat is in low / mid teens, Vo2 Max in the 50's. What my metabolic exhaust gases caught was that I don't burn fat in exercise - at all. For decades I competed at an elite level in a sub-two minute event. It might be that specific sprint training changed my metabolism. Or it might be that my metabolism made me super effective at those events. In either case, current training is structured to re-wire my physiology.

It is well worth a trip to Durango - and combine with skiing, riding, WW paddling, etc. FLC charges $195. Which I think is stupid cheap for great info. Keep in mind that the lab is at 6,800', so if you live low, altitude is a factor.

Note that I am chatting with Fort Lewis College Cycling Team about doing a "boomers" clinic: a mtn bike camp for older riders. It would likely be three-days. AM's would be mtn bike skills training. Afternoons would be trail riding. Testing sessions could be incorporated. Fort Lewis College Cycling Team has swept the collegiate nationals something like 28 years in a row. We have a handful of world champions, national champions, Olympians, Cape Epic winners, Leadville 100 winners, major tour winners and riders, etc. living here. Some of them may be involved with an afternoon trail ride. More when I know more.

Enjoy!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Super-interesting, thanks!

I'm racing 60+ this year, and was looking forward to really winding it up once more (after two easy, fun seasons) for Masters Marathon MTB Nationals, since rumors were rife of them being in Bend, Oregon (2.5 hours from home). Sadly, they are in Texas, and very early, so it looks like a non-starter for me.

Are you headed that way for the Marathons? I've heard the venue -- Palo Duro Canyon -- is really good riding, but NOT climbing-centric.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Super-interesting, thanks!

I'm racing 60+ this year, and was looking forward to really winding it up once more (after two easy, fun seasons) for Masters Marathon MTB Nationals, since rumors were rife of them being in Bend, Oregon (2.5 hours from home). Sadly, they are in Texas, and very early, so it looks like a non-starter for me.

Are you headed that way for the Marathons? I've heard the venue -- Palo Duro Canyon -- is really good riding, but NOT climbing-centric.

Tom - My pleasure. It was super insightful to me. The conventional, current wisdom of shot, intense workouts don't apply here.

My big event this year will be the Breck Epic. I may also race the US road and mtn nationals - depending on how I feel. My macro view is to do longer events this year to move the needle on how my body metabolizes fats. In 2020 I'll be 60. Then I'm going to rock my sprint again and race STXC and crits. We'll see how that goes.

Hit me up if you come to Durango. Let's go for a ride.

Sponsor

Staff online