• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic PA State Parks announce a new operator for Denton Hill State Park Ski Area.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
media.pa.gov With the hope of building a 4 season destination to anchor the Pennsylvania Wilds across the state's northern tier. PA will invest $10 million in the ski resort's infrastructure.

From the press release:

State Parks Director John Hallas today announced the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) will work with locally-based Denton Go, LLC, to grow recreational opportunities in all four seasons at Denton Hill State Park in Potter County.

The 700-acre Denton Hill State Park is located along Route 6 in Ulysses Township in the Route 6 Heritage CorridorOpens In A New Window and in the Pennsylvania WildsOpens In A New Window. It was developed by DCNR as a specialized ski area in the early 1950s. The ski area has been closed since the winter of 2014.

All permanent infrastructure is owned by DCNR and is in need of major rehabilitation and modernization. The department is committing $10 million in capital improvements to the park.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is great great news, I always wanted to ski there.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
More info on the new operator and their plans from a Facebook post on the Save Denton Hill Facebook group.

AN OPEN LETTER FROM DENTON GO
On Tuesday, the Pa. Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources announced that it had chosen Denton Go, LLC as its private partner to implement an ambitious plan to revitalize Denton Hill State Park by the creation of a four-season outdoor recreational facility.
So who is Denton Go? We are eager to answer that question! Denton Go is a partnership of three families whose roots run deep in the area. We’re connected by a sincere desire to improve the quality of life in and around Potter County, and to provide a quality experience for everyone who visits the park. We are fully prepared to build upon the hard work and sacrifices of others over the years who established Denton Hill State Park as one of the premier winter recreation centers in the Northeast.
One of our managing partners, Scott Carts, is uniquely qualified to lead Denton Go as the principal of a forestry and recreation services company. Scott is the grandson of respected forester and civic leader Clifford Carts, one of the founders of today’s Denton Hill State Park. Through his hands-on experiences operating ski resorts and other outdoor recreational endeavors, Scott is keenly aware of what it takes to successfully operate a resort in a rural setting.
Todd Brown has a wealth of business management experience as fleet manager for a major telecommunications company, chief fiscal and operational administrator for the Potter County government, and current endeavors that include an executive role with Ultimate Power in Coudersport, Pa.
Our other partner, Jason Holmberg, also has extensive local business experience with founding roles at PA Pellets and as the CFO of Ultimate Power.
Denton Go plans to reopen Denton Hill State Park for four-season operations. This will include prior winter operations as a downhill ski and snowboarding destination along with expanded snow tubing. During the spring, summer and fall operations, Denton Go will become the go-to place for activities during the day for dark-sky and Pennsylvania Wilds tourists. A visitor center will provide information on area attractions and onsite activities.
Four-season operations will be designed around the unique recreational opportunities offered by the chair lifts such as hiking, IMBA-rated mountain biking, adventure/recreation courses, and unparalleled dark-sky viewing from the top of the mountain. Overnight sites will increase area lodging opportunities that will provide RVers and campers access to existing ATV and snowmobiling trails. The venue will host festivals and be available for event hosting.
We at Denton Go express our appreciation to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania representatives, elected officials, community leaders and others who have supported or encouraged us. We look forward to a bright future.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard of the place, but don't know anything about it. Looking it up now, it was 650 feet of vert, and a peak at 2500 feet. Here's a prior trail map:

1694782017461.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard of the place, but don't know anything about it. Looking it up now, it was 650 feet of vert, and a peak at 2500 feet. Here's a prior trail map:

View attachment 211110
I never made it there in 50+ years skiing in our region. Over the years, one of those double diamonds was often mentioned as the steepest ski slope in the mid-Atlantic.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
My guess is that it will be a few years before the renovation is complete. Their double diamond, Avalanche, compares to Laurel's Lower Wildcat and Blue Knob's Extrovert.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If we‘re gonna show a map, it should be one where Extreme is rated as a triple black diamond…

1694796344292.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If we‘re gonna show a map,
Sidewinder and 9 mile on that map should be open for XC access. Here is the surrounding trails map from the Susquehannock State Forest page:

1694797618331.png

Well, if anyone else is up for an XC/XCD scouting trip...

I am open to anything from pure edgeless XC to Snowblade touring to Whitegrass-style meadow skipping to actual alpine touring. Just give a shout ~5days ahead.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been to E.T.A.R many many times but not in a few years. I can say it’s steep actually very steep and would think some good tree skiing. The lift have to be hammered unless they put money into them since I been there.
Often thought about skiing it sometime but it’s literally in the middle of nowhere. Maps says 2.6 hour drive but route 6 in winter probably more like 3.5.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always happy to see a ski area come back from the dead. What's the snow like? Too far south for lake effect?

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
You (and Marcus?) did go up there to ski, or is my memory failing me//
I skied Denton in the 1980s on a weekend trip with a ski club. Marcus never skied it. We both hoped to, but as was mentioned, it is in the middle of nowhere.
If we‘re gonna show a map, it should be one where Extreme is rated as a triple black diamond…
Extreme is a glade on the same face as Avalanche, which has been falsely advertised as a 60-degree slope by which they mean 60% grade.

As for trail maps, this is what they hope the future trail network looks like:

1694867350796.png

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied Denton in the 1980s on a weekend trip with a ski club. Marcus never skied it. We both hoped to, but as was mentioned, it is in the middle of nowhere.
Actually, it is 100 miles from the middle of nowhere. It would be closer if it was in the middle of nowhere.:ogbiggrin:
I hope to get here one day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, it is 100 miles from the middle of nowhere. It would be closer if it was in the middle of nowhere.:ogbiggrin:
I hope to get here one day.
According to Google maps, it's:
  • 3 hrs 9 mins from Harrisburg, PA
  • 2 hrs 48 mins from Erie, PA
  • 3 hrs 12 mins from Scranton, PA
  • 2 hrs 37 mins from Altoona, PA
  • 3 hrs 11 mins from Syracuse, NY
  • 2 hrs 13 mins from Rochester, NY
  • 2 hrs 25 mins from Buffalo, NY
  • 3 hrs 44 mins from Pittsburgh, PA
  • 4 hrs 33 mins from Philadelphia, PA
That's a pretty good job of being in the middle of nowhere.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Notice "Unparalleled dark-sky viewing" :D

That's almost begging for both Halloween and Beltane festivals.
Yeah, I've considered heading up that way for dark sky photography reasons... but have never been motivated enough. FWIW, here's a dark sky map... Denton Hill is near the "t" in Coudersport at the north end of the central dark sky area.

1695911659671.png

Sponsor

Staff online