• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Overview: 2017 DPS Foundation Collection

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS gave Pugski three pairs of its new Foundation skis to review: the Uschi F82 (168cm) women's ski, the Cassiar F95 (178cm) all-mountain ski, and the Wailer F106 (185cm). Each pair is mounted with Tyrolia Attack 13 demo bindings. Read about what DPS is doing with the Foundation series HERE; this thread will be devoted to our tests and reviews.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

Here are initial impressions from @Tricia and me; we plan to keep this thread going with reviews as the season progresses.
Cassiar F95
The Cassiar 95 was one of my favorite skis from last year’s testing, but the new Foundation construction is even more refined. When I skied the 95 last year, I felt the 178cm offering was too short and needed to ski it in the 184cm; this is not the case with the new F95, the 178cm skis true to length and felt perfect. I skied the new Cassiar in mixed conditions at Northstar, from 3 to 5 in. of Utah-grade powder in the Monument Glades to the manicured groomers off of West Ridge. The Cassiar was smooth and stable on the groomers, but a bit more at home off piste and in the trees.

Wailer F106
This early production ski will be available not too long after you read this. I was able to take the Wailer F106 in 12+ in. of fresh snow, and it was smooth and playful through all the terrain changes from tight trees to soft powder bumps. Like the Cassiar, the Wailer is definitely on the finesse side of the scale, as I expect the rest of the Foundation skis will be. I found the new Wailer to be just a blast in the light snow; it did everything I wanted it to.

Uschi F82
Per Tricia: The Uschi F82 was one of the first DPS skis I’ve been on in a long time that wasn’t from the Pure3 line. As opposed to the Pure3’s carbon construction, the Foundation series uses a wood core, which gives the Uschi (pronounced oo-she) a warmer feel. Whether on groomers, bumps, or powder, I think the “F” must stand for “fun”!
  • Who are they for? Individuals who aren’t looking to compromise. These skis are on the finesse side of the scale and reward skiers who are neutral on their skis; they do not need to be driven to get the most performance.
  • Who are they not for? 11/10th skiers.
  • Insider tip: Since these are preproduction models, I asked what was going to change; DPS replied that it would make them 5 to 10 percent stiffer and add a bit more camber. Perfect: these are the exact two changes we would like to see.

Reactions: BMC

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are they going to make fatter Uschis? I've been thinking of getting a DPS for touring .. not this season, but thinking long-term.

(Uschi is a common woman's name in Germany, pronounced oo-shee, though)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they going to make fatter Uschis? I've been thinking of getting a DPS for touring .. not this season, but thinking long-term.

(Uschi is a common woman's name in Germany, pronounced oo-shee, though)

ok, thanks! we got some wrong info on that, will change

pwd81

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
CONSTRUCTION: So Foundation replaces Hybrid across the lineup, including for the Wailer 99 and 112RP eventually? Does the Hybrid T2 eventually become the Foundation T2?

SHAPE: The Wailer F106 tip shape looks very different from the Wailer 99 and 112RP. The Cassiar F95 tip shape also looks different compared to the current Cassiar 95. They both seem to have less taper and a pointier tip. The tails maybe look slightly different as well.

WHAT IT MEANS: Are the Wailer 99 and 112RP going to be entirely redesigned with this new Wailer 106 shape? Or do they stay the same as they have for many years? New direction across the Wailer lineup or simply a new addition for a different purpose like the Wailer 105 was?

A longer effective edge on the Wailer series would be a step backwards if you ask me.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@pwd81,
I think the longer effective edge on the Wailers is next part of the evolution not a step backward, the first part of the Wailers evolution was the RP, that lowered the tail and gave the ski more of a wheelbase for more stability. While I haven't skied the Foundation 112 yet, this new F106 is a real nice ski. I have been critical of many of the One Oh Something segment offerings, this one is on the powder end of the scale and the days we have had of late in Tahoe, I could not think of too many other that skis that I would rather have been on. Now, it was last year at this time, I might be singing another tune.

The 95 is a very playful ski too, I am hoping to get out on that a bit more. This is a,to different ski than the Cassiar 95 I skied last year, this is a bit softer and easier and not that it matter but it dies, it looks a helluva lot better. What is very different, when I skied last years 95, the 177 felt way too small and I really enjoyed the 184, with the new Foundation ski and lowering the tip and extending the sidecut, the 178 felt perfect and I would not want to get on the next size up.

pwd81

Skier
@Philpug, I guess it is all preference. More stability = less nimble to me. Shorter effective edge keeps the current Wailers nimble in the trees, but still a long ski for powder. If you simply size down with a longer effective edge, you would seem to lose some float with a shorter ski. Float and turn initiation are what define the current Wailers for me (tight trees and powder). The Cassiar is the way to go if you want something more stable.

Are we even sure yet if the current 99 and 112 shapes are changing? Or is this 106 is an all new shape to go alongside the current Wailers for a different purpose, like the Wailer 105 is?

I own the Wailer 99, Wailer 112 and Cassiar 95 T2. At over 200lbs, I wouldn't want a Cassiar without metal. Excited to hear more about these new skis. Looking at this new Uschi 82 for my wife.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The new tip geometry looks pretty striking, especially if you are used to the conventional DPS paddletech nose shape. if it makes it into the 112RP lienup, I would be really disappointed, but I am willing to bet that it wont, as the current shape has a distinct advantage in powder snow. Looks like the 106 is the "bad 3D snow charger" in the lineup, which is not a bad thing. Cassiar 95 intrigues me too, as I always wanted to see a ca. 100 mm grippy all-mountain ski from DPS, (and the disappointing Wailer 99 was not it). Hopefully, I get an opportunity for the on-snow impressions (hint :). I always admired DPS for their willingness to innovate primarily in ski construction and materials (although their reputation is puzzlingly built on new shapes), and the Foundation looks like an exciting new chapter.

pwd81

Skier
if it makes it into the 112RP lienup, I would be really disappointed, but I am willing to bet that it wont, as the current shape has a distinct advantage in powder snow. Looks like the 106 is the "bad 3D snow charger" in the lineup, which is not a bad thing.

Good points. Aren't the Wailer 112RPC(harger) and the Wailer 105 already the "bad 3D snow chargers" though? Curious what all this means for the whole lineup. Don't want to judge without trying, but I also hope this is not a full replacement shape across the entire existing Wailer lineup.

pwd81

Skier
Any word on when the Uschi Foundation will be available for purchase?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Good points. Aren't the Wailer 112RPC(harger) and the Wailer 105 already the "bad 3D snow chargers" though? Curious what all this means for the whole lineup. Don't want to judge without trying, but I also hope this is not a full replacement shape across the entire existing Wailer lineup.
I cannot imagine them killing off the Wailer112RP, its too much of a good ski for what it does, and one look at the Foundation 106 tells you that it won't be as good of a powder ski as the 112RP. The difference between 105 and 106? That's a much tougher call to make. Since reading between the lines of Phil's review tells me that 106 is soft, it is not the "charger" ski at all, so maybe they decided to separate the charger line and the "nice" skis. If Cassier 99 replaces the Wailer 99, I won't shed any tears, I always thought that the W99 was a significant miss by DPS.

And maybe these are just the picture angle, but doesn't the shape look pretty traditional to the point of looking "retro" and maybe not in a good way. But DPS has a tradition of making ski shapes that look ridiculous and perform brilliantly. And I always loved their graphics- simple, elegant, distinct.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I cannot imagine them killing off the Wailer112RP, its too much of a good ski for what it does, and one look at the Foundation 106 tells you that it won't be as good of a powder ski as the 112RP. The difference between 105 and 106? That's a much tougher call to make. Since reading between the lines of Phil's review tells me that 106 is soft, it is not the "charger" ski at all, so maybe they decided to separate the charger line and the "nice" skis. If Cassier 99 replaces the Wailer 99, I won't shed any tears, I always thought that the W99 was a significant miss by DPS.

And maybe these are just the picture angle, but doesn't the shape look pretty traditional to the point of looking "retro" and maybe not in a good way. But DPS has a tradition of making ski shapes that look ridiculous and perform brilliantly. And I always loved their graphics- simple, elegant, distinct.
Wait till you see these. :drool:

pwd81

Skier

Blister Gear just dropped a comprehensive review of the F106 that seems to confirm your thoughts. I have both the W99 and W112 and would hate to see the W99 go, as it is what I ski most often. I also prefer the non-gradient top-sheets as well, but the gradients are well done too.

pwd81

Skier
From the horse's mouth: "With the hybrid line being discontinued, we will be bringing in Foundation. The Wailer 99 and the Wailer 112RP2 in Foundation, will have a semi-similar design to that of the 106. I've been skiing the new Foundation 112RP2 for about a month and its awesome. Great design, more neutral and great performance. We will continue to have the classic Wailer 99 and Wailer 112RP2 shaping in the Pure3, Tour1, and Hybrid T2 (W99 only) lines."

This is disappointing to me. The current shape in hybrid (or foundation) was my zen. Its pretty straightforward what they've done in making it more piste oriented and traditional now. I'm sure its an awesome ski for the right person and I'm sure others will be happy, but we've lost something unique. I will go mourn now.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't judge these until you see them and get out on them. It sounds like Marshall and Stephan have never disappointed you in the past, why do you think they will now? The gradient graphics are great, the color palette is soooo DPS. As far as the shape, again, just because it has changed, why do you assume it will be for the worse? Again, these guys know how to make skis.

pwd81

Skier
Don't judge these until you see them and get out on them. It sounds like Marshall and Stephan have never disappointed you in the past, why do you think they will now? The gradient graphics are great, the color palette is soooo DPS. As far as the shape, again, just because it has changed, why do you assume it will be for the worse? Again, these guys know how to make skis.

Fair enough, I'm certainly open to trying them. But a longer effective edge ("true to length") seems like it is what it is. For me, that means less float in deeper snow. I trust Blister Gear reviews, and it sounds like we are losing a shape that they also think floats better: "Those soft shovels on the Wailer F 106 allow the ski to plane very well, but if powder performance is your first priority, I’d still advise you to lean toward the DPS Wailer 112RP. In deep pow, I’d say there is more difference than similarity between these two skis. The Wailer 112RP floats very well for its width (i.e., in terms of flotation, I think it floats and planes as well or better than a number of 115-118 mm wide skis). So the Wailer F 106 is a good pow ski, but I don’t feel like it punches above its weight class like the Wailer 112 “Resort Powder” does."

I read that as saying that the current/old Wailer 112 floats better than most if not all 112 wide skis, but that the F106 floats like a typical 106 ski would. Meaning widths being equal, the old shape floats better. I'm sure the changes will appeal to many, as the Foundations appear more traditional. Blister does state that the new shape/construction make for an exceptionally smooth carver.

I saw a pair of the F106 Wailers at Vail today. Looked nice. Still want to get my wife the new Foundation Uschi. That ski makes a lot of sense. All these new shapes make plenty of sense, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the existing shape.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online