• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Over the glasses goggles (that actually work)?

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Giro Vue helmet. It clears the biggest frames. Many of the OTG goggles are too narrow.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I decided to try a visor helmet after all. We'll see how it goes. I picked up the Atomic linked below which has two positions, one of which is for glasses that allows the visor to sit 8mm further away from my face. If the visor doesn't work you can take it off and just use goggles. One thing for certain, it's one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn and snugs down very nicely. I picked up a low light visor to go with the one that comes with it.

Edit: I've read mixed things about how well it performs when it snows but I've decided that on those days I'll just use my current helmet and goggles combo. So starts my helmet quiver ;)

I had my first day out with the new visor helmet. My thoughts are split down the middle. If you want this helmet for fog-free glasses then I'd look elsewhere. For a couple of runs my glasses stayed pretty clear but as I got a bit warmer they started fogging up and I eventually took them off. I'll be going with the recommended reading glasses approach once I hit the limit of my progressive contact lens prescription.

Now, if you want this helmet for comfort, fit and fantastic peripheral vision with the visor then I recommend it all day long. It's really a great helmet (if it fits your head shape of course). I really liked the ability to just rotate the visor up with one hand in the lift line. It's not hard to lift goggles off your face and onto the helmet but the ease of moving the visor was a nice advantage to the system. It was relatively sunny and I thought the optical performance was pretty good but not quite up to Smith Chromapop level, which is what I'm used to. I'll have to wait for an overcast day to see how it works in low light.

Overall I'm happy with the helmet and will put it into rotation with my Giro helmet and Smith I/O Mag combo.

Last edited:

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I had my first day out with the new visor helmet. My thoughts are split down the middle. If you want this helmet for fog-free glasses then I'd look elsewhere. For a couple of runs my glasses stayed pretty clear but as I got a bit warmer they started fogging up and I eventually took them off. I'll be going with the recommended reading glasses approach once I hit the limit of my progressive contact lens prescription.

Now, if you want this helmet for comfort, fit and fantastic peripheral vision with the visor then I recommend it all day long. It's really a great helmet (if it fits your head shape of course). I really liked the ability to just rotate the visor up with one hand in the lift line. It's not hard to lift goggles off your face and onto the helmet but the ease of moving the visor was a nice advantage to the system. It was relatively sunny and I thought the optical performance was pretty good but not quite up to Smith Chromapop level, which is what I'm used to. I'll have to wait for an overcast day to see how it works in low light.

Overall I'm happy with the helmet and will put it into rotation with my Giro helmet and Smith I/O Mag combo.

Is it safe to say, you raised the visor when you were not moving, or did you leave it down all the time ?

I think you may have read where I raise my goggles when I'm not moving and don't get much if any fogging.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it safe to say, you raised the visor when you were not moving, or did you leave it down all the time ?

I think you may have read where I raise my goggles when I'm not moving and don't get much if any fogging.
I left it down. The fogging actually started while I was moving and got worse to the point where I had to stop.

I may not be the best case study for this. I sweat a lot and am just prone to fogging issues.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Max Capacity, do the Fathom+ have any way to prevent eyeglasses from fogging? My Smith IO/X are about to fall apart and I'm considering the Fathom+. Glade says they don't fog, but I don't have problems with goggles fogging, it's my eyeglasses that fog. The IO/X (mostly) prevent my eyeglasses from fogging because there's a small hole that lets cold air into the goggles to clear up my eyeglasses. Do the Fathom+ have a similar feature?

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I've tried a variety of goggles as LASIK/Contact lenses are not an option for me. I've ended up with the Anon M4 goggles and goggle inserts for my prescription which work fairly well if you keep the goggles on. I pair this with the various MFI balaclava/face masks. It's not perfect, and I am curious on how the new generation of visor helmets like the Salomon Driver varieties etc work out.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
These Oakley Fall Line goggles fit comfortably over my glasses and have an excellent field-of-view. Unlike many OTG goggles, these do not stick out too far and obstruct my vision. I'm not sure if they are the XL or L size - the package said one thing but the tag said another. Tag kerfuffle courtesy of Buckman's Ski Shop in King of Prussia, PA. Occasional but minimal fogging.
IMG_4568.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
^ interesting.

Anyone tried the Radar/Rachel helmet? It’s a pull out goggle that’s integrated.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
@Max Capacity, do the Fathom+ have any way to prevent eyeglasses from fogging? My Smith IO/X are about to fall apart and I'm considering the Fathom+. Glade says they don't fog, but I don't have problems with goggles fogging, it's my eyeglasses that fog. The IO/X (mostly) prevent my eyeglasses from fogging because there's a small hole that lets cold air into the goggles to clear up my eyeglasses. Do the Fathom+ have a similar feature?
No small hole that I'm aware of. As I said, I normally lift the goggles when I'm not moving, so, if my glasses fog, it's on me. You need to realize, nothing is going to be perfect 100% of the time. If we stop skiing on the way down, not that we do that too often, if the glasses fog, then it's time to get moving again.

You go to Glades web site and contact them. I'll say they have great customer service. I have had an email going with them since I placed the order. I have been giving them feedback, as this is my first year skiing with glasses on.

Sponsor

Staff online