• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Outer Limits today

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
OL can vary from a mildly challenging delight to an absolute awful experience, all depending on conditions. I've hit it a few seasons on opening day for the trail when the snowmaking whales were soft and carveable. Magic. Worth multiple repeats. Other times when its icy and the bumps are big, it's not for mere mortals. The thing about OL is that it is relentless. A very consistent steep pitch that never gives you a break the entire length. If it's bumped up and firm and you can ski it from top to bottom without a stop, you have my respect.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The woods to skiers left of OL are nice too. Same pitch and moguls as OL, just with trees for added spice.
The woods to skiers left of OL are nice too. Same pitch and moguls as OL, just with trees for added spice.
Woods skiers left now known as Growler. Woods right (between OL and Fiddle) now known as Centerpiece

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Woods skiers left now known as Growler. Woods right (between OL and Fiddle) now known as Centerpiece
I've seen people skiing both of those from the chair but haven't been able to find a good way in to check them out. I tried to get into growler several times the last couple times I was there but failed.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen people skiing both of those from the chair but haven't been able to find a good way in to check them out. I tried to get into growler several times the last couple times I was there but failed.
Growler is easy to get into off of OL Express. Whether it's open or not, that's another story.

Devil's Den is nice too, less steep than Growler and Centerpiece.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The bumps that day didn't resemble any bumps we have ever seen before. It was like they dumped several truck loads of office furniture on the hill and sprayed some snow on top
That is just priceless.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Need to stay home and take a break from spring skiing so I don't miss an important thread like this. Her are the OL shots that I took yesterday morning. The acres per skier part of season is in full swing.

IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks GiS. Such early morning slush/corn bumps like that are a soft smooth perceptual treasure for the worm when descending descending. I can see all kinds of smooth surfaces to have fun making turns off of.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
We have an Outer Limits at Blackcomb as well...Dbl Black tree run.
It will test your toolbox

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well this thread brings back memories! I used to spend a lot of time at Killington back in the early to mid 90's skiing Outer Limits after race season was over. Back in those days, I was maybe an even better bump skier than racer. So, I was up on OL one Saturday sometime in late March/early April, getting ready to start my run, and look over to my right as I noticed another skier was eyeing up the line next to mine. It was Donna Weinbrecht! She had just recently won an Olympic Gold at Albertville. So I said "Hey are you Donna Weinbrech?" She was actually surprised I knew who she was because "nobody pays attention to skiers." So, anyway, we did our runs, and at the lift she says "Hey, you are a pretty good bump skier, want to ski together today?" I am like OMG sure! I skied wither her on OL a few other weekends that year, and I saw her several times the next two seasons. My OL bump skiing literally came to a crashing end a season later when I tore my knees apart in the GS at the Masters Nationals. I haven't skied OL since then. I can still ski lesser bump runs, but I have to take it easy now. The only time I zipperline it is at the runout at the very bottom of a bump run where it is basically flat.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will also add, a bump slope that has a lift riding audience right along its slope rates highest for we show-offs haha.
Best show-off bump runs! Somebody should start a thread.

Ski trivia: What two show-off bump runs at different ski areas have the same name and are only 14 miles apart as a crow flies?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Ski trivia: What two show-off bump runs at different ski areas have the same name and are only 14 miles apart as a crow flies?

I don't know that they're "show off" bump runs as neither one is very visible, but both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen have a "Paradise".

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't know the real answer, but I do know that the canonical name for a show off run is "Exhibition."

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And knowing you we are probably talking about Summit County. How am I doing?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm.... I don't know either, but in addition to Exhibition noted above, I know of a few Gunbarrel runs too. (There's both an Exhibition and a Gunbarrel here locally.)

Sponsor

Staff online