• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Our First Heros

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Chris Walkers touching post about the loss of his Dad got me thinking. It has been said that, 'people exist as long as they are remembered'. We all have people who hold special places in our lives that formed us, our Heros. Someone who taught us to ski, ride a bike, survive in the woods (and the world), love and respect others, and generally equip us to be a decent human being. For a lot of us these people are no longer of this Earth, they are with us but not necessarily in a physical sense.

I hope you will share yours, this is mine.

My Dad. I am a Junior in many ways beyond my name. He formed me in many ways beyond instilling a love of skiing. He was an Air Force fighter pilot who flew for his country in 3 wars. Always took care of his family, and had an optimistic passion for life till the last day he breathed. He had me in the water by 3, the woods by 4, and skiing by 5. How to not shoot anyone with a gun or bow, or loose body parts with power tools. We installed edges on skis, painted on bases, installed bindings in the day, and built a number of boats together.

He arranged an appointment for me to the USAFA, and I pissed him off mightily by refusing to take it, it was truly a battle royale. After many long 'discussions', he finally respected my reasoning; I could never be a pilot due to my eyes, and there were 100 other young men who dearly wanted and deserved that spot. We made peace, but he still wouldn't let me go after a major in ski area development and management. One of the most important things he instilled in me; live life in moderation of all things including moderation.

Dad circa 1960 on Mt Rainier, where we all learned to ski.

Dad-Rainier-58.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online