• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One-Ski Quiver (or two)

hhc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Going skiing in Whistler in April and looking to buy skis (went skiing twice already this year - Niseko and Val Thorens - and figured I would have saved money having just bought a pair from the start). Looking for something all-mountain but say 50-70% on-piste (if anything, willing to sacrifice powder performance for carving performance). Used to ski in Niseko mainly but recently moved to London so more Alps. I am an intermediate-advanced level skier and ski quite aggressively. I am 5'11 and 150 lbs

Appreciate any suggestions - so far I have been looking at the following:
- Volkl M5 Mantra/Kendo
- Blizzard Rustler 9/10
- Nordica Enforcer 93/100
- Head Kore 93/99

Prefer to buy in London before heading over to Whistler so no real opportunity to try anything unfortunately

Thanks,
HC

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am skiing the alps for the first time this year so no view on snow conditions there. I had thought most Europeans liked narrower skis?

I have never thought about the M5 Mantra and I'm curious about it, but from your list my favorites by far are the Enforcers.

I like the extra mass they have over the Kores. I think the Rustlers are designed to be softer flexing versions of the Brahma/Bonafide line and that is not something I have ever really wanted.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
6'0" 185 lbs, advanced (7+) skier, Nordica Enforcer 100's in 185 have become, surprisingly to me, my 1 ski quiver. Fine for me out west in anything I can get into (and plenty I shouldn't!), including knee to thigh fresh powder at Alta over Xmas holiday, and just as fine on Southeastern US man made ice. I have some Volkl RTM 81s in 171 I bought a few years back thinking that was a great ski the east kind of ski, and it is/was - but once I got on the Enforcers and they did just as fine (for me) on the same stuff, I haven't even been back on the Volkls.

Sorry don't have any experience with those other skis except for Mantras, I think, last season rental at Crested Butte. Went through them pretty quick before I swapped for the next forgettable ski. I regretted not paying the baggage fees for the Enforcers. Was OK but not as good. That's all I remember at this point, 'not the Enforcer, booo' :)

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want recommendations of new skis to look at, I have two sets:

Flat-ish tails
1. Stockli Laser AX - this is a really nice ski for all mountain use if you prioritize carving
2. Kastle MX 89/99 - ditto, I think the reviews on this site (correctly) note that it has a bit more top end but is a bit less friendly than the Laser.
3. Brahma/Bonafide - more "all terrain" flavor than above
4. I am excited about but have no experience with the Liberty VMT series (not sure what category it fits in to be honest).

Rockered tails
1. J skis Masterblaster - super fun ski in almost any condition, I wish it was stiffer
2. Have my eye on a few things (some of which are next year's releases) but haven't found something I like more than 1 yet in the <100 mm width range

Also, the waist width you want for Whistler - if you are serious about being off piste for 50% of the time I would be inclined to go wider with more rocker than most of the above. Can't speak to Europe.

Sponsor

Staff online