• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Old Look Pivot and Rossignol FKS bindings

Paul.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Have any old pivots/fks laying around that may or may not be safe to use? I want em! I have a bit of a collection going and I would love to add to it. Looking for anything, the old TT series, geze toes, fkx, world cups etc. 15/18 din preferred. Ideally in decent condition but Ill consider anything. Thanks!

goran

Booting up
Skier
A bit of a collection? Me too....
View attachment 156470
You are amongst your people. I do have some duplicates, maybe we can swap.
Phil, you must have an answer to this question given that array of bindings! I have a FKS 155 binding (top row, 4th from right in your picture) that had the Teflon strip in its AFD fall out. I ordered a replacement AFD from Rossi and the toe sits 1-2mm higher in the new AFD since the plastic features don't line up with the features on the bottom of the toe. The Rossi rep I worked with said that the AFD should be fine but even after using a Dremel to lower the toe relative to the Teflon pad, I still have more of a gap on this particular setup than any of my other pivot setups.

Any ideas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, you must have an answer to this question given that array of bindings! I have a FKS 155 binding (top row, 4th from right in your picture) that had the Teflon strip in its AFD fall out. I ordered a replacement AFD from Rossi and the toe sits 1-2mm higher in the new AFD since the plastic features don't line up with the features on the bottom of the toe. The Rossi rep I worked with said that the AFD should be fine but even after using a Dremel to lower the toe relative to the Teflon pad, I still have more of a gap on this particular setup than any of my other pivot setups.

Any ideas?
I have some extra AFD's. When I get back in town, maybe we can get together to look at it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug , how is it that you don't have any of the 5-6 versions of the original Nevada/Grand Prix bindings?!?!
Wasn't my focus and they haven't really fallen into my lap. Was really trying to stay DIN forword.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any chance you’re in possession of a white pivot 18’s or maybe a forza 1.0 18’s - and either happen to be available for purchase?
I don't have a white 18 but I do have the Forza 1.0. It is not for sale, Look gave me that binding as thanks for the inspiration for bringing back the design.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Any ideas?
Post a photo of the AFD it may help.

tharmor

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't have a white 18 but I do have the Forza 1.0. It is not for sale, Look gave me that binding as thanks for the inspiration for bringing back the design.
Well deserved. I remember watching that video of you hyped on the forza coming back.

goran

Booting up
Skier
I have some extra AFD's. When I get back in town, maybe we can get together to look at it.
Thanks, Phil! I'll take you up on that.
Post a photo of the AFD it may help.
Sure! On the left is the new style AFD, and on the right is the original AFD sans teflon strip. I don't have a picture of my toe handy, but its features match the toe on the right not the left.

So I did a bunch of dremeling on the AFD on the left to thin the raised features, and I still have a slight (1mm?) gap between boot and AFD. Before anyone asks, my boot soles are pristine :) The gap is not heinous but is slightly noticeable when skiing (I can feel my toe click up and down very slightly if I force it). I think there must be some other changes in the dimensioning of the new vs old metal toe style and AFD pair. E.g. I think the AFD sits a bit higher in the old design than the new.

I'm not sure what there is to be done besides either finding original AFDs or putting a small shim under these AFDs to flex them upward a bit and close the remaining gap. When I asked Rossi, they said that the new AFDs should just work.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_015120.jpg
    IMG_20190423_015120.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 19

Uncle-A

Skier
Thanks, Phil! I'll take you up on that.

Sure! On the left is the new style AFD, and on the right is the original AFD sans teflon strip. I don't have a picture of my toe handy, but its features match the toe on the right not the left.

So I did a bunch of dremeling on the AFD on the left to thin the raised features, and I still have a slight (1mm?) gap between boot and AFD. Before anyone asks, my boot soles are pristine :) The gap is not heinous but is slightly noticeable when skiing (I can feel my toe click up and down very slightly if I force it). I think there must be some other changes in the dimensioning of the new vs old metal toe style and AFD pair. E.g. I think the AFD sits a bit higher in the old design than the new.

I'm not sure what there is to be done besides either finding original AFDs or putting a small shim under these AFDs to flex them upward a bit and close the remaining gap. When I asked Rossi, they said that the new AFDs should just work.
Can you shim between the ski and the bottom of the AFD? Even if it is just the 1mm you are feeling it could stop the click up and down.

goran

Booting up
Skier
Yes, that's a hope. But it's a bit challenging since I'd be shimming under the AFD Teflon strip itself and flexing that part slightly upward, the shim would not be secured by any of the binding screws. Maybe I could glue it in place? Unclear.

Uncle-A

Skier
Yes, that's a hope. But it's a bit challenging since I'd be shimming under the AFD Teflon strip itself and flexing that part slightly upward, the shim would not be secured by any of the binding screws. Maybe I could glue it in place? Unclear.
Yes, I think you would have to glue it but flexing the entire AFD not just the Teflon pad should not be a problem if it is as little as you say the distance is. I have seen AFD's lifted a little just by snow an ice. I might be worried if it was more than 3mm but that would be extreme.

RetroSkier

Booting up
Skier
Have any old pivots/fks laying around that may or may not be safe to use? I want em! I have a bit of a collection going and I would love to add to it. Looking for anything, the old TT series, geze toes, fkx, world cups etc. 15/18 din preferred. Ideally in decent condition but Ill consider anything. Thanks!
Turns out I might, even the ones I thought would make the cut the tech said they’re not on the list.

FKS185 with a broken DiIN on the heel piece. Skied them once and may ski them a couple more times but even the skis they’re on are one grind away from being toast.

LookPivot 18 but apparently they’re not… they’re Atomic Look Pivots which apparently are far enough removed from Pivot 18;s that the tech won’t touch them either :( because they have Atomic on the label instead of Pivot. Red and blue, a little beaten up. Fortunately the sis they’re attached to are in better repair so worst case they end up with newer binding. I’m leaning towards the 15’s because of the metal toe and the fact they’re closer to my skill level.

So potentially 2 bindings available in the next few weeks, one of which may be safer than the other but I’m not an expert. If not then I’ve got the start of my own Pivot collection.

Attachments

• tempImageOHDc1u.png
    tempImageOHDc1u.png
    543.8 KB · Views: 13
  • tempImagexzU4bz.png
    tempImagexzU4bz.png
    547.3 KB · Views: 13

RetroSkier

Booting up
Skier
Turns out I might, even the ones I thought would make the cut the tech said they’re not on the list.

FKS185 with a broken DiIN on the heel piece. Skied them once and may ski them a couple more times but even the skis they’re on are one grind away from being toast.

LookPivot 18 but apparently they’re not… they’re Atomic Look Pivots which apparently are far enough removed from Pivot 18;s that the tech won’t touch them either :( because they have Atomic on the label instead of Pivot. Red and blue, a little beaten up. Fortunately the sis they’re attached to are in better repair so worst case they end up with newer binding. I’m leaning towards the 15’s because of the metal toe and the fact they’re closer to my skill level.

So potentially 2 bindings available in the next few weeks, one of which may be safer than the other but I’m not an expert. If not then I’ve got the start of my own Pivot collection.
Learned something interesting from here, turns out my non-indemnified :( Atomic by Look bindings are collectors items. At the very least they’re not your average, everyday everyone could by them off the store shelf bindings but were a team issue. I’m guessing Team Atomic ? So the bidding will start at One Meeliiioon Dollars… Two… do I hear Two Meellion ? :p Anyways, I bit the bullet and put new bindings with a DIN range more suited to me on the skis. Vintage Bindings are currently just in a box now with the screws that held them onto my skis. I could be mistaken but if an expert put them on a pair of skis and did the necessary adjustments for their boots and ski style, I think they’d still rock today but I’m not an expert and the bindings could be a ticking time bomb if put on another pair of skis. My logic for replacing them is simple, if I ever wanted the bindings to be adjusted or tested in the future I had to upgrade to something newer for the old skis. Amazingly enough, the remount required no drilling.

Now the question is, do I keep them… increase my skills as a skier, learn to tune my skis and how to install bindings and then slap them on some planks in a couple years or sell them with the disclaimer that they’re expert bindings that were issued to racers and if you hurt yourself by using them I’m not responsible for that or the fact that if you take them into a ski shop they might go. “Dude! Cool Bindings but sorry… we can’t touch em because they’re not the list. "

Uncle-A

Skier
Learned something interesting from here, turns out my non-indemnified :( Atomic by Look bindings are collectors items. At the very least they’re not your average, everyday everyone could by them off the store shelf bindings but were a team issue. I’m guessing Team Atomic ? So the bidding will start at One Meeliiioon Dollars… Two… do I hear Two Meellion ? :p Anyways, I bit the bullet and put new bindings with a DIN range more suited to me on the skis. Vintage Bindings are currently just in a box now with the screws that held them onto my skis. I could be mistaken but if an expert put them on a pair of skis and did the necessary adjustments for their boots and ski style, I think they’d still rock today but I’m not an expert and the bindings could be a ticking time bomb if put on another pair of skis. My logic for replacing them is simple, if I ever wanted the bindings to be adjusted or tested in the future I had to upgrade to something newer for the old skis. Amazingly enough, the remount required no drilling.

Now the question is, do I keep them… increase my skills as a skier, learn to tune my skis and how to install bindings and then slap them on some planks in a couple years or sell them with the disclaimer that they’re expert bindings that were issued to racers and if you hurt yourself by using them I’m not responsible for that or the fact that if you take them into a ski shop they might go. “Dude! Cool Bindings but sorry… we can’t touch em because they’re not the list. "
For your own safety it is good you purchased the new binding. As far as the old Look/Atomic bindings at best they are a curiosity if they are actually an "Atomic Team" binding. MAYBE and that is a big MAYBE someone that is Look binding enthusiasts might want them as a donation for a Look or Atomic colection.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For your own safety it is good you purchased the new binding. As far as the old Look/Atomic bindings at best they are a curiosity if they are actually an "Atomic Team" binding. MAYBE and that is a big MAYBE someone that is Look binding enthusiasts might want them as a donation for a Look or Atomic colection.
As a collector, i have been looking for a pair, but not that rough. Those have seen some hard miles on them.

Sponsor