• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NYT article: Building Grit in Girls Through Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great stuff!

IMO, in this day and age, anything that gets kids -- girls and boys -- out from behind their various screened devices into the outdoors for a little activity and reasonable competition is a great thing.

NICA does this in spades with mountain bikes: https://www.nationalmtb.org/

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
MTB brings out my grit, too :D
My daughter so far is not interested.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MTB brings out my grit, too :D
My daughter so far is not interested.

Age? IME, nothing hooks a teenager on mtb like a fun day of shuttling on fast, easy trails.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got two daughters. One atheletic, the other a bookworm. Mt biking greens is about the only thing I can get the bookworm to do (other than skiing). I don't know about the "grit", but the confidence from this and other activities is starting to assert itself. It's fun to watch blossom.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Age? IME, nothing hooks a teenager on mtb like a fun day of shuttling on fast, easy trails.
She's a very awkward 12 year old. I think she'll grow into it but she's just not an aggressive kid at all.
I'm just glad she'll ski all over the mountain in any conditions.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Maybe there is a Heisenberg thing happening here. The fact that you are there observing her changes the outcome. It seems like the article is telling you to give her a bike in the woods and set her loose.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
While I applaud the sentiment the case study offered seems a bit weak. Jackson doesn't strike me as the sort of town where any kid wants for stimulating outdoor activities and a school network geared to match. Far more impressive if it were offering urban appartment dwelling girls a chance to explore horizons beyond the nearest mall etc ( which it may well be doing)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe there is a Heisenberg thing happening here. The fact that you are there observing her changes the outcome. It seems like the article is telling you to give her a bike in the woods and set her loose.
No doubt, if I could get her out there riding with some of her friends, she'd enjoy it more.

Sponsor

Staff online