• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northstar EWS

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow!

I wouldn't be surprised to see some riders fitting LONG travel, double-crown forks for the actual race.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Wow!

I wouldn't be surprised to see some riders fitting LONG travel, double-crown forks for the actual race.

considering there is a ton of climbing involved as well, I doubt we will see this.

Beside a modern enduro bike is better than a DH bike from 5 years ago and light years better than one 10 years ago.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wow!

Don’t need a double crown to have quality long travel. I’m running a DVO Diamond that can do 170mm and works just fine for most courses. I have it lowered to 150mm to keep my geometry in check. I personally can’t see anyone doing a course with climbing running a DC, no need when you can save weight and still get great travel out of the newer SC’s. Fox, RS & DVO offer awesome long travel single crown fir this purpose.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Granite Boulder fields/Rock Gardens are pretty common in the Sierra.
Not comparing to the one in the Northstar video but this one on our ride down from Star lake and Cold Creek today is always a fun challenge.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
And after two days of racing, Richie Rude beats Sam Hill by less than a second.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
its great that Maes and Richie Rude are back, now the results are legit.... Richie has been a beast since his return.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys were right, no double crowns showed up. I know firsthand how good current single crowns are, but damn, those pros were hammering through those rock gardens at mach looney speeds!

Rude is riding like he's got nothing to lose, which is true, since he's not in contention for the overall title. It's amazing to watch that level of skill. Let's -- ahem -- hope he's back for the full season next year!

And a one second winning margin after two days?! I remember in the early EWS days, Tracy Mosely would sometimes win by a couple of minutes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
considering there is a ton of climbing involved as well, I doubt we will see this.

Beside a modern enduro bike is better than a DH bike from 5 years ago and light years better than one 10 years ago.

Specially true with the newest 29er Enduro Bikes. You can see in the video a lot of the 27.5" bikes getting hung up.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
was super fun watching these boys ride these sections so fast on enduro bikes!
I hung out in that rock garden for a couple hours yesterday. Rude is so dang strong, just muscles it and moves so little, like a great skier w/ rock solid upper body, but his is through power. Sam Hill rides an amazing balance between loose/relaxed and precise. His riding is so dang good, on video, but in person, just a level above in my opinion. He's riding well in his comfort zone when the other boys look like they are pushing it.

the level is just amazing of all these guys and girls though!
I raced the first enduro at northstar maybe 6 yrs when "enduro" was just a fledgling version of our sport and podiumed, but it was more downhill/xc at that time. This was full on dh tracks at full speed, too much risk for me...

Cheers,
W

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
was super fun watching these boys ride these sections so fast on enduro bikes!
I hung out in that rock garden for a couple hours yesterday. Rude is so dang strong, just muscles it and moves so little, like a great skier w/ rock solid upper body, but his is through power. Sam Hill rides an amazing balance between loose/relaxed and precise. His riding is so dang good, on video, but in person, just a level above in my opinion. He's riding well in his comfort zone when the other boys look like they are pushing it.

the level is just amazing of all these guys and girls though!
I raced the first enduro at northstar maybe 6 yrs when "enduro" was just a fledgling version of our sport and podiumed, but it was more downhill/xc at that time. This was full on dh tracks at full speed, too much risk for me...

Cheers,
W

It actually begs the question as Enduro keeps getting more gnar I wonder when we are going to start having downcountry races.

Sponsor