• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
A friend is staying up that way soon (somewhere in the Mount Washington Valley, I think, details forthcoming), and she has a pair of skis that need a stone grind. Does anyone know a reliable shop up that way — i.e., a place with a high-end machine and a good tech to run it.
@LiquidFeet?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Stan and Dan Sports in North Conway would be one possibility. They have been around for a long time, and last I knew they did a lot of race ski tuning, and good work.
There's another shop on 302, closer to Attitash, I think called Andes. Also been doing tunes for years. I presume they're still there.
Maybe somebody with more current and local knowledge can chime in to confirm or offer up better suggestions!

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Stan and Dan Sports in North Conway would be one possibility. They have been around for a long time, and last I knew they did a lot of race ski tuning, and good work.
There's another shop on 302, closer to Attitash, I think called Andes. Also been doing tunes for years. I presume they're still there.
Maybe somebody with more current and local knowledge can chime in to confirm or offer up better suggestions!

It's a start — thanks!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
My favorite place (in Jackson) closed down a few years back.

Yes, Stan and Dan's caters to racer kids as well as well-heeled recreational skiers.
Ande's is used by Attitash ski instructors. It's a small shop on 302, close to the mountain.
I used it once but I forget if I liked the service. I did not go back, but that may be because I started tuning my own.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend is staying up that way soon (somewhere in the Mount Washington Valley, I think, details forthcoming), and she has a pair of skis that need a stone grind. Does anyone know a reliable shop up that way — i.e., a place with a high-end machine and a good tech to run it.
@LiquidFeet?

You should ask @Doug Briggs - he is from North Conway. I am guessing he gets back there every once in a while.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
My favorite place (in Jackson) closed down a few years back.

Yes, Stan and Dan's caters to racer kids as well as well-heeled recreational skiers.
Ande's is used by Attitash ski instructors. It's a small shop on 302, close to the mountain.
I used it once but I forget if I liked the service. I did not go back, but that may be because I started tuning my own.

Thanks, LF. If it were a mere side-edge tune, I'd do that myself, but I'm not set up (pax @Jacques) for a stone grind.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thanks, LF. If it were a mere side-edge tune, I'd do that myself, but I'm not set up (pax @Jacques) for a stone grind.

Ha ha! I have got a few pairs stone ground lately. Dangerously fast are they after lots of work But, hey, I'm in Oregon.
Always the good old sharp steel scraper method! Works good for a convex base.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sorry for the late addition. Been on vacation.

Stan and Dan's has the latest and greatest tuning machine. But I find working with that to be a PITA. Always busy and never know if an inexperienced staff will get your skis.

I go to Sport Thoma in Bartlett. It is staffed by the guys who were at Jack Frost in Jackson and later Frosty's in the same building they occupy today. The staff there are knowledgeable and do great work. Talk to Mark Bettencourt if he is in. Tell him what you want.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haven't had a tune at Sport Thoma but the guys in Lincoln took a few minutes to talk about ski size for my kid even though I told them I was buying used on ebay.

I owe them a purchase so when I finally buy myself a new setup I plan on stopping by.

Sponsor

Staff online