• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm staying busy running, biking, reading*, continually loading the dishwasher (both kids at home!), etc. Yet I find myself daydreaming about skiing. Assuming, hypothetically, that: (1) ski resorts are open next season, and (2) there will be Pugski gatherings at Taos and Aspen(?), what would the dates be (tentatively, hypothetically) for those gatherings?

* Currently reading Sapiens. Great book!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm staying busy running, biking, reading*, continually loading the dishwasher (both kids at home!), etc. Yet I find myself daydreaming about skiing. Assuming, hypothetically, that: (1) ski resorts are open next season, and (2) there will be Pugski gatherings at Taos and Aspen(?), what would the dates be (tentatively, hypothetically) for those gatherings?

* Currently reading Sapiens. Great book!
Tentatively the same as the last two years. Taos will be sometime around the end of January, and Aspen will be sometime around the end of February.

But of course there are huge caveats on that for this coming season.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tentatively the same as the last two years. Taos will be sometime around the end of January, and Aspen will sometime around the end of February.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my Ikon base pass purchase. If the Gathering was definitely happening it's a no-brainer to pay the extra $150 to get Ikon access to Aspen but who knows what it's going to be like next winter.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All 3 are terrific. Especially Sapiens and the last one. I'm going to reread it to see if it changes my perspective post you know what.
I also read all 3 of Yuval Noah Harari last year, twice each book and appreciate his framework and his assessment of humanism. I have been thinking about him recently and what his thoughts are on the pandemic after hearing about his $1 mil donation. Came across this interview:

Think I’ll start a new book discussion thread on Pugski...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The dynamics of a gathering under social distancing might be quite unconventional if resorts have to operate at far less than 100% capacity. Some resorts are considering a golf course type business model, only allowing a handful skiers out every 15-30 minutes (intervals so as not to slam the base lift with lines , limited session times to free up space for others to maintain lower capacity max's. Lodges and bars won't be very colloquial. Sharing rooms with non family might still be frowned upon. It would be like a golf party but one where the entire group couldn't share a bit table at the 19th hole.

I'll still probably try to catch a day or two of any Mid Atlantic gathering if Timberline Mountain's open again.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also read all 3 of Yuval Noah Harari last year, twice each book and appreciate his framework and his assessment of humanism. I have been thinking about him recently and what his thoughts are on the pandemic after hearing about his $1 mil donation. Came across this interview:

Think I’ll start a new book discussion thread on Pugski...
Jeez. I finally got a chance to listen to the end. Dystopian for sure. I hope we avoid that outcome!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So we all know that any sort of planning during the time of COVID is questionable at best but having said that I'm wondering if the Gathermeisters have been discussing Aspen next year? If the Gathering isn't going to be outright cancelled then I'm wondering if maybe some dates could be established for those of us who like to plan way ahead. It might be nice to book a hotel room just in case.

Call me crazy but I'm trying to be optimistic!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So we all know that any sort of planning during the time of COVID is questionable at best but having said that I'm wondering if the Gathermeisters have been discussing Aspen next year? If the Gathering isn't going to be outright cancelled then I'm wondering if maybe some dates could be established for those of us who like to plan way ahead. It might be nice to book a hotel room just in case.

Call me crazy but I'm trying to be optimistic!
If it happens, it will most likely be Feb 28th - Mar 6th.

But there's really no way to know what the travel, lodging, or lift ticket situation will be at that time. It's going to be a while until any Gathering planning really occurs, and depending on how the season is looking, things could be decided much later than usual.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Likewise with the New England Gathering... if it happens at all, it would be during the traditional late March / early April time frame at either Saddleback or Killington, pursuant to the usual voting, etc.

The NEG was going to be at Killington this past season but was ultimately cancelled due to covid shutdowns, etc. I'd have to see how this coming season starts and what the travel policies are in VT and ME -- too many questions right now.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it happens, it will most likely be Feb 28th - Mar 6th.

But there's really no way to know what the travel, lodging, or lift ticket situation will be at that time. It's going to be a while until any Gathering planning really occurs, and depending on how the season is looking, things could be decided much later than usual.

Yeah, I know it's all up in the air at this point. Maybe I just want something skiing related to look forward to. In any case, thanks for the most-likely dates.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just musing over the potential benefits of making refundable accommodations reservations and flights and car reservations, vs waiting and making more last-minute decisions when prices would likely go up, especially if things actually can operate somewhat safely.

Aspen is a long way to drive, though I could manage it with a few stops along the way.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just musing over the potential benefits of making refundable accommodations reservations and flights and car reservations, vs waiting and making more last-minute decisions when prices would likely go up, especially if things actually can operate somewhat safely.

Aspen is a long way to drive, though I could manage it with a few stops along the way.

It'd be a long drive from MA. Maybe the NE contingent should charter a bus! ;)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I could do another road trip from Seattle to Big Sky, Steamboat, Aspen and maybe somewhere in UT on the way back.

My SO isn’t particularly interested in the Aspen Gathering, but is interested in Steamboat, so maybe I do the Gathering week (with or without a gathering), then she flies to Streamboat (non-stop from Seattle) and we stay there for a bit, then maybe Big Sky on the way home, similar to what we did last year.

Part of the comfort with Steamboat is there’s a Worldmark (Wyndham) resort near the ski resort, and we feel pretty good about their Covid safety planning and operations, and have already stayed at a couple of their resorts this summer. For Big Sky there’s a Worldmark in West Yellowstone, which was under a hour for us to drive to Big Sky.

Interesting that I finding myself so easily falling back into “multiple contingency planning” for ski trips; while still not clear how this year will pan out due to pandemic.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tentatively the same as the last two years. Taos will be sometime around the end of January, and Aspen will be sometime around the end of February.

Taos is going to be a definite for us if it is open. Divas are going the first week of February. We'd probably go with the pugs again if it ends up happening.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos is still TBD on their web site.
Will probably bunk out there for a while if they are open.
Gathering? Will have to see. I have no objections either way.

Sponsor

Staff online