• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Tow Rig

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
After a few hiccups with my 2016 F350 we made the decision that new truck was in order. As much as I’ve been a “Ford guy” over the years we decided to try a Ram, partially because they are actually available and partially because I have a couple of friends that work for Stellantis and I got a sizable discount. It’s a 2023 3500 with HO Cumins diesel. I can’t believe how different the personality of the Cumins is compared to the Powerstroke. It has a narrower power band and doesn’t rev as high but feels much happier towing our 15k pound fifth wheel.
IMG_4117.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good choice!
20230716_085337.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried to talk my wife in to looking at a dually but it was a non-starter for her.
Honestly, it does make a difference. I know it's chubby around the hips but the stability is noticeable. It was initially not going to be my DD but turned out that way. I just park in the far reaches of the parking lot and consider the walk part of my "workout". It's no longer than a single rear wheel 8' bed truck so no difference there. It rides fine except for a couple of spots around town where the expansion joints are just right then it rides like a basketball but so did my '06 MegaCab. My friends with Ford 250/350s have the same issue in the same spots. I've about 75,000 on mine now (it's an '18) and have been very pleased with it. Except for the mileage. That could be better but that's the tradeoff for a stupid amount of power plus all the emission stuff. My '97 Cummins got 22-23mpg empty going down the highway at 75 or 80. This one might get that going off a cliff.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Ive got an 06 2500 with 5.9 and 22 5500 w/ 6.7. You made a good choice. Id do a ford in a f150 chassis but in diesels its no competition(imo).

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
The power delivery of the Powerstroke is better as a daily driver and I can only imagine what the new HO Powerstroke is like but I am blown away by how much better the Ram feels with the trailer in tow than without.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
We just got back from a trip to the Outer Banks and I am impressed with the fuel mileage. We didn't take the camper this time but we averaged 20 mpg round trip including all the driving we did while there.

Sponsor

Staff online