• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New POC goggle

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone know anything about a new POC goggle and technology that adjusts to changes in light instantaneously, not in the photochromic time frame but exponential faster. I can’t find anything about it on their website but I think they are selling them for around 300$.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
J

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I actually heard about POC developing the technology about 1 or 2 years ago and was very interested in it for both free skiing and racing. The tech is radically different from photochromic, which basically reacts to changes in brightness in a linear fashion over a period of time, making it ok for a retail skier but useless on a race course. This tech actually senses changes in light concentration in front of you, in an anticipatory fashion, and makes an instantaneous change in the lens. I coach a race team in MA and part time instruct at Cannon Mt in NH, and another instructor had purchased a pair on line. I actually went online last year to get a pair but there was no availability, and now there is no mention of them on their site. Next time I see this other instructor I’m going to ask him, but I was curious if anyone else had heard about them. Ted Ligety claims his contrast 2.0 goggles being used by some racers on WC and Europa Cup allows them to run about 1.5 seconds faster in flat light than they did before using his goggles. It has been said that flat light can, can being the operative word, change WC times by 1 to 4 seconds for the field. Any advantage would obviously be proportional, not absolute. Interesting stuff.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know anything about a new POC goggle and technology that adjusts to changes in light instantaneously, not in the photochromic time frame but exponential faster. I can’t find anything about it on their website but I think they are selling them for around 300$.

The only new goggles on their web-site is the Vitrea-the ones with some sort of quick lens change mechanism.
I like POC lenses very much, please share if you hear anything more on this new tech.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually heard about POC developing the technology about 1 or 2 years ago and was very interested in it for both free skiing and racing. The tech is radically different from photochromic, which basically reacts to changes in brightness in a linear fashion over a period of time, making it ok for a retail skier but useless on a race course. This tech actually senses changes in light concentration in front of you, in an anticipatory fashion, and makes an instantaneous change in the lens. I coach a race team in MA and part time instruct at Cannon Mt in NH, and another instructor had purchased a pair on line. I actually went online last year to get a pair but there was no availability, and now there is no mention of them on their site. Next time I see this other instructor I’m going to ask him, but I was curious if anyone else had heard about them. Ted Ligety claims his contrast 2.0 goggles being used by some racers on WC and Europa Cup allows them to run about 1.5 seconds faster in flat light than they did before using his goggles. It has been said that flat light can, can being the operative word, change WC times by 1 to 4 seconds for the field. Any advantage would obviously be proportional, not absolute. Interesting stuff.
What about oversensitivity in a snowy landscape? (I had photochromic glasses for a long time. They worked great in the summer, but were always way too dark in low light winter conditions because the snow reflects so much UV.)

Sponsor

Staff online