• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need help rebuilding a quiver

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi guys,

I need some help deciding what to get, since we are moving closer to the time where skis are on sale.

Background on:
I have been riding on my Atomic Vantage 90 CTI for the last two years, mostly due to the fact, that, that i got the Dalbello Panterra 130 ID boot with gripwalk, and my piste skis/binding don't support this. These boot are the perfect fit for me, and have the best flex i have ever had, so they are staying for good.
Background off!

Where do i ski?
My ski-year normally looks like this:
2 week with the wife and kids in the alps, usually in sub-3000 meter areas, skiing mostly groomed and a bit of soft snow along the side of the piste. The wife in a steady but not too fast tempo, and the kids a great deal faster as they have gotten older.
4 weeks with "the guys" usually in Austria/France/Switzerland in +3000 meter resorts, doing tons of soft snow (offpiste in Europe), and less onpiste.

The Vantage 90 CTI have been a great compromise for this use, but i am now thinking of getting two skis for that. So here are my options:

Option 1:
2 skis where one is an all-mountain and a +100mm for the deeper stuff. I am thinking a Blizzard Brahma style ski for the on piste, and the side of the piste, and maybe a Fischer Ranger 102 FR like ski for fun in deeper snow.

Option 2:
A dedicated piste ski that does the gripwalk soles, and a new all-mountain with more focus on deeper snow (think Nordica Enforcer 93 style ski).

I might add, that the Atomic Vantage have fulfilled my need for on-piste skiing, apart from icy conditions. I know that a dedicated piste ski, will be much better on piste.

What to do guys?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Head Titan, Nordica enforcer 104.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Brahma 82, Monster 83, Head v-shape V10, Atomic Vantage 83 CTI all make dandy on-piste and side stash skis. They have a nose/tail profile that carves great, but ins't hooky like technical skis tend to be.

I'm not up on the powder skis, but I do love the level of playfulness the Ripstick 106 has. However mid 100's is on the narrow end of a dedicated powder ski.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Piste: Don't go too stiff, since a lot of your piste time sounds like it is at lower speeds. For example, I've got some Head Titans and Nordica GT84s. The Titans are great when you're ripping, but a bit dull at lower speeds. The Nordicas feel softer, and are more fun at lower speeds.

Off-piste: Enforcer 100. The Swiss Army Knife of skis. Unless your off-piste is reliably very deep, 100 is plenty wide in a two ski quiver of the type you seem to be seeking.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have to disagree about the Titan. I taught a load on them in all conditions, all clients, a d terrain. Easy to slow down and do tight demos, but..... that's just like my opinion man. ( the Dude emoticon here).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have to disagree about the Titan. I taught a load on them in all conditions, all clients, a d terrain. Easy to slow down and do tight demos, but..... that's just like my opinion man. ( the Dude emoticon here).

Zactly what I thought, until I skied the GT84s, and realized they were "zippier" at lower speeds than the Titans.

But.....they also do not have quite the top end stability of the Titan.

No free lunch abides!

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Piste: Don't go too stiff, since a lot of your piste time sounds like it is at lower speeds. For example, I've got some Head Titans and Nordica GT84s. The Titans are great when you're ripping, but a bit dull at lower speeds. The Nordicas feel softer, and are more fun at lower speeds.

Off-piste: Enforcer 100. The Swiss Army Knife of skis. Unless your off-piste is reliably very deep, 100 is plenty wide in a two ski quiver of the type you seem to be seeking.

As much as I love my M83's I have to agree with this. It takes a lot of work to push these around at slow speeds. But once you're going...hang on!!

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier

The enforcer 100 is on my radar! Tested the enforcer 93 in Norway, but the Nordica rep told me that the 100 is different - he didn’t have the 100 there to test. Any idea how it differs?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
93 has a much stiffer tail and there for feels way more stable on groomers and in crud, but tend to be hard to ski in powder beyond the size difference( not hard at all) it also tend to make a longer turn while carving unless you really good at moving inside.

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
93 has a much stiffer tail and there for feels way more stable on groomers and in crud, but tend to be hard to ski in powder beyond the size difference( not hard at all) it also tend to make a longer turn while carving unless you really good at moving inside.
The 100 seems to fit the bill then. Gotta sort out the piste ski then !

Sponsor

Staff online