• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need Help identifying paintings of Mountains / Artists

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been asked to try to find what mountains and perhaps any information regarding the artists who painted the pictures below. They could be as old as 100 years or as fresh as 15. However, I know that at a few were hanging in a house during the 70s. They could be from Massachusetts, Telluride, Quebec Alaska or the Goodwill in Arizona.

IF anyone has any thoughts on the mountains or the artists - I would appreciate it. Two are painted by the artist 'Sullivan', one is 'illegible' and the other is 'Cobe????

Thanks I appreciate any help, and well its nice to look at snow covered landscape during the summer heat.......

Resized_20200823_094409.jpg
Resized_20200823_094416_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sullivan pictures -- the fall picture is not framed - set on top of other

Resized_20200823_082804.jpg
Resized_20200823_082809_resized_1.jpg
Resized_20200823_082742.jpg
Resized_20200823_082716.jpg

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can't read this artist signature, this is also not framed - sitting on top of the sullivan

Resized_20200823_082757.jpg
Resized_20200823_082750.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been asked to try to find what mountains and perhaps any information regarding the artists who painted the pictures below. They could be as old as 100 years or as fresh as 15. However, I know that at a few were hanging in a house during the 70s. They could be from Massachusetts, Telluride, Quebec Alaska or the Goodwill in Arizona.

IF anyone has any thoughts on the mountains or the artists - I would appreciate it. Two are painted by the artist 'Sullivan', one is 'illegible' and the other is 'Cobe????

Thanks I appreciate any help, and well its nice to look at snow covered landscape during the summer heat.......

View attachment 108630 View attachment 108629

This one looks like Grand Teton.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Your peak looks a lot like an artists rendition of Pioneer Peak Southeast of Palmer, AK. It has been a popular subject of Alaskan artists for a long time. Some of your cabins look a lot like those in many Alaskan landscapes as well. Vaguely remember a painter up there named Sullivan in the 60's/70's as well. Oh hell, I vaguely remember the 60's and 70's.
th.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I posted this on another forum in response to a similar thread started by @In2h2o.

I'm speaking as an artist and oil painter. Those mountains and the scenes they are in may be made up. The paintings all follow the same simple formula.

--There is a mountain in the middle of the painting.
--The mountain is quite pointy at the top.
--It has a big ridge running diagonally down its front.
--The mountain is in shadow on one side of that ridge and in light on the other.
--There are two eye-grabbing trees in the foreground on the right.
--There are numerous less distinctive trees in the middle ground on the left.
--There is water below which continues into the viewer's space beyond the bottom of the painting.

Following a formula to make multiple "original oil paintings" is easy once someone learns how to do the brushwork. There's a "look" to such paintings, and these paintings have that look.

I'm not saying I'm sure these are not actual scenes, but they sure look like made-up formula paintings. Google "museum paintings of mountains" to find non-formula paintings and compare their variety to the repeated elements in these.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Bad Bob you may be on to something, realizing the owner was stationed in Alaska mid 1950s.
Pioneer Peak seen from different angels gives very different looks as well. Look at it on Google Earth for lots of angels. It is just a guess. but many of your clues fit.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Agree with Liquidfeet - these look to be whipped out by a Bob Ross landscaper painter. A little log cabin, similar mountains, similar trees. Amazing what you can do with only a palette knife.

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@LiquidFeet and @SpikeDog totally understand and agree, actually saw a Bob Ross painting that looked similar lol.
Just doing due diligence and making sure not miss identifying the art as common vs. valuable.
No one in family knows where they came from but they have been around for a while.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@In2h2o, look on Etsy for "winter mountain landscape oil paintings" and find some that you think are similar to the ones you have. You'll recognize the formula in many of them. They will have prices that can give you an idea what these might bring on the open market.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online