• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need an East Coast SKI/Binding Recommendation from all you experts

Katman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The smart thing for me to do would be participate in some Demo days, but with a busy work schedule, two young kids (3 and 6) I just don't have the time. Used to ski VT every weekend for 15 years, was a big groomed cruiser...fast, big turns. No bumps, but did wonder into the woods whenever conditions permitted.
Daughter took up skiing two years ago, loves it and has lessons on a little local hill on the weekends. Our 3 year old will take it up this winter. Wife will ski too.
My last pair of ski's, are....are you ready...Solomon Xscreams.....
I am going to pick up a more current pair of ski's, to have more fun and get out with the kiddo's this coming winter. I'm 5'10, 235#'s.
Thinking of picking up Enforcer 93's (seem to be some great deals), or possibly the new K2 Mindbender. Thoughts/Suggestions/Questions? Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site. Enforcer 93's are a pretty good choice especially with close out deals whuch are basically just graphic differences from year to year at this point. The Mindbender is the new kid on the block and have quickly become a darling of not only our testers but have received universal acclaim, yeah they are that good. For someone who buys skis once every quarter century, I am not sure "the deal" should matter. ;)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went awhile skiing my old straight skis and then got "modernized"five plus years ago. On the east coast, we need edges to handle our boilerplate conditions. This year that was minimized, a good snow year. What I learned in my"re-education" was free ride or all mtn skis aren't the best on boilerplate. Frontside skis, such as the K2 Ikonic 84 Ti , are a better fit for our hard snow. Another ski would be the Head Monster 83. It depends on your preference, enforcer better in trees, Ikonic better on groomers. There are a lot of good skis, keep in mind it's hard to make a bad choice.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went awhile skiing my old straight skis and then got "modernized"five plus years ago. On the east coast, we need edges to handle our boilerplate conditions. This year that was minimized, a good snow year. What I learned in my"re-education" was free ride or all mtn skis aren't the best on boilerplate. Frontside skis, such as the K2 Ikonic 84 Ti , are a better fit for our hard snow. Another ski would be the Head Monster 83. It depends on your preference, enforcer better in trees, Ikonic better on groomers. There are a lot of good skis, keep in mind it's hard to make a bad choice.
Steve, our buddy, used our Ikonic 84 Ti's at Park City a few weeks ago and liked them. If you want those, they are available. As Scott said, hard to make a bad choice.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thinking of picking up Enforcer 93's (seem to be some great deals), or possibly the new K2 Mindbender. Thoughts/Suggestions/Questions? Thanks
Between the Mindbender and Enforcer, the Mindbender is a little better for east coast all mountain, IMHO. but.....ScottB is on the money.
What I learned in my"re-education" was free ride or all mtn skis aren't the best on boilerplate. Frontside skis, such as the K2 Ikonic 84 Ti , are a better fit for our hard snow.
@Katman it may be a better choice to get a good front side specific ski like the iKonic 84 Ti and demo or buy another ski for the deeper days.
Never hurts to have a two ski quiver. ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
There's been a bunch of threads on this. They all end up diverging and have relevant info. Prob should stay under 85. The coming Brahma 82 is prob a good choice. Monster 83. Or Skis in the 70's width.
Nordica Navigator 80.
You certainly have the weight for the Ikonic 84, and you like speed. But, small hill? The ski is pretty far away from a compliant XScream.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The good news is there are a lot of great skis out there that would fit your needs. Even better news is the number of great deals out there right now on last years skis!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Keep in mind your kids are going to want to ski in the woods and moguls half the time and in 5 years they'll be almost as fast as you. Ideally take those carvers for a test run on some ungroomed to confirm they work with your style. If you haven't looked into the kids' bretton woods season pass/seasonal rental for $150 it's a great way to save money until they're ready for the big mountains.

Sponsor

Staff online