• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need Advice on New Boot for 13 yr old Daughter - Flex Rating Questions

aaronbsalomon@gmail.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all and thanks for your advice in advance. I did some reading on prior posts on this subject, but wanted to get a fresh take on it. The main question is ... how stiff is too stiff for a 13 year old to flex in a new ski boot?

My daughter has out grown her Atomic Hawkz Jr 4. I looked online for a while but could not find what the flex rating is on that boot, but assume it is 70 or so??

Our daughter is about to be 13, weighs 105 and is 5'1 or so. She is pretty damn strong. Plays club soccer year round at a very high level. She has been skiing since she was 6 and is definitely at expert level. She skis aggressively for sure. Bombs anything with great technique.

To get her new boots, we went to a local ski shop and used their pro for the fitting. They did not carry Jr boots for her size anymore and they said she is ready for adult boots. She tried on a few and ended with new Atomics with 85 flex rating. She walked around in them for a while, squatted in stance, etc. She said they fit great.

When I returned with her skis for binding fitting, etc, there was a different ski pro who disagreed with her getting adult boots and said they will be too stiff for her and that she is not strong enough to flex them.

So ... what do you all think? I am a snowboarder and have no clue what the right call is.

Sponsor