• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Team Tryouts

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have more than a few friends who are trying out for the National Demo Team.
Here is the list of those who are moving into the last day of tryouts
13041219_10153938628632559_7606037367457019491_o.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Mike is head coach or something so doesn't tryout this year. Same for Jeb Boyd. I know Mike would rather be trying out than not if he had the choice.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is the post on Facebook of one of the candidates

Last day of PSIA-AASI National Team Tryouts. This group of outstanding #snowpros has been selected to continue to the final round of an extremely fun and definitively torturous tasks created by Michael Rogan . Cograts to all! I am extremely honored, humbled and excited to ski with this group of rockstar skiers and teachers!

James

Out There
Instructor
Hiked and skied with Bob Barnes and Jennifer Simpson at Aspen Highlands Bowl last year. Also Brian Smith that day but he had to leave before the bowl.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like the PSIA has similar issues that the CSIA has with the women. 6/25!! Will any of them make the team?
Absolutely there will be women on the team.
I think the ratio 6/25 is great, considering how many women/men ski, especially at that level

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Same for Jennifer Simpson.

The list doesn't include the snowboarders. Or the freestylers.

Breck still has three cut survivors.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its understandable that there is an attrition rate for female/male instructors before they get to that level of skiing or instructing.

As an example, we are friends with a couple that are both L2 instructors. Both thinking about their L3. If she gets pregnant, he'll go on merrily to get his L3 Pin and likely continue to move up in the ski instruction world, while she'll direct her goals to kids and other such mom aspects. She'll likely continue to instruct and will definitely continue to be passionate about skiing but her emphasis will likely change.

This is not a bad thing, its just something that happens in the flow of life.

Another example of gender and skiing is the unofficial GTG that we had for season end for the shop we work at. Of all the staff, 4 of us showed up for a ski day at Heavenly. I was the only girl. Close to the same ratio of the Tryout list above.
While we were at Heavenly, we met up with a couple other guys - @Bobalooski @spencer, which threw the ratio more to the male side.
We also met up with @4ster who was skiing with some other folks - IIRC there were two women in that group with some men (I'm not sure how many of the folks standing there were actually with 4ster's group)

Considering the ratio of female/male skiers who are passionate enough to ski this late in the season, the ratio that made that tryout list is pretty good.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think women are too smart to take this job all that seriously most of them are my students(or their kids are my students) and they make far more money than me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think women are too smart to take this job all that seriously most of them are my students(or their kids are my students) and they make far more money than me.
Post of the day. :beercheer:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like the PSIA has similar issues that the CSIA has with the women. 6/25!! Will any of them make the team?

My friend Steve (I introduced @Philpug to him Wednesday at Heavenly) who has been to 4 national team tryouts, works with Rachel Bauer & seems to think she really has the chops to make the final team.
I believe Michael Rogan has been appointed as coach for the next term.

Good luck to all the participants!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This just in:

The 2016-2020 PSIA/AASI National Teams

Alpine

Robin Barnes
Heidi Ettlinger
Jonathan Ballou
Josh Fogg
Dusty dyer
Eric Lipton
Matt boyd
Dave Lyon
Ann Schorling
Brenna keleher
Jennifer Simpson
Stephen helfenbeim
Brian smith

Freestyle
Ryan christoff

Snowboard
Brendan Metzler
Chris Rodgers
Amy ganz
Nick elferie
Eric rolls
Toni macro

Adaptive
Josh Spoelstra

Nordic
Tele grant bishop
Greg Dixon
Nordic Greg rose
Emily Lovett

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
Nice! I am friends with Ann Shorling and Grant Bishop. I think both of them are good enough to make the national team in alpine and tele. Ann is an examineer in both disciplines and Grant probably could be if he liked alpine more. I have trained with both of them in alpine and tele, they are some of the best!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Congrats to all of the new members and those who were selected to tryout for the team! I have had the privilege of skiing with several of the new team members: Brian Smith (who was my examiner for Level 2), Jonathan Ballou, Jennifer Simpson, and Robin Barnes (when I observed James launch towards Bud and shed gear for a good ways down Big Rock Tongue!). All great skiers and instructors.

Mike

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This just in:

The 2016-2020 PSIA/AASI National Teams

Alpine

Robin Barnes
Heidi Ettlinger