• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

narrow powder skis

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
yesterday while reading about Volant Spatula skis dimensions, shape and reason behind them. While putting together my own version of reverse camber reverse sidecut RCRS It got me thinking how about skis like that only narrow for small storms. I look up online and for the most part designs with RCRS only in really wide skis like Spatula 120+. Probably design like this wouldn't be a big seller but that's not what I'm after.
I have built two pairs skis for powder which is 100 and 110 under foot. Both worked extremely well for what they made for however they traditional sidecut with zero camber

so what others think of RCRS design in let's say 100 underfoot

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
here some history on Spatula

http://www.evo.com/what-is-so-speci...ula-powder-ski-how-do-i-ski-the-spatulas.aspx

RCRS design I come up with

MR120.jpg

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I can't speak to reverse sidecut, but I loved the atomic blog for sub 12" days, as well as it's successor the automatic 109.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I can't speak to reverse sidecut, but I loved the atomic blog for sub 12" days, as well as it's successor the automatic 109.

blog and automatic traditional shape and camber. RSRC definitely will be nontraditional design in 100 underfoot

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I can't think of any <100mm skis of the RCRS sort. If you're giving up all the benefits of camber and sidecut, why not go full hog and have ample float? I guess I'm not seeing the use case unless it is a touring ski (weight is a concern) where you're skiing a few inches of fresh on a consolidated base. In the resort it seems like you'd maybe get a run or two in such conditions and then be dealing with the chop which isn't much fun on an RCRS ski.

But experiment anyway!

FWIW I've got one 94mm ski -- Praxis Yeti's -- that is almost in good in 1ft of fresh as my 110 blogs (rocker / camber / rocker). I think this is because the tip rocker profile and its relation to sidecut is so dialed.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I can't think of any <100mm skis of the RCRS sort. If you're giving up all the benefits of camber and sidecut, why not go full hog and have ample float?.

Gauers. @mishka I have an extra pair, undrilled. :eek:;):P:thumb:

Correction, they are RCRSCXB for convex base. It's all about the spin moves.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Steeple is full rocker (ie "RC"), but the RES sidecut isn't reverse sidecut. It is a regular sidecut in the body of the ski with reverse sidecut in tips/tails only.

Well aware, I saw the first iterations with RES pretty much out of the press. But the design he put up was not full reverse sidecut either.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Well aware, I saw the first iterations with RES pretty much out of the press. But the design he put up was not full reverse sidecut either.

actually I didn't put dimension at all 140-122-120

Gauers. @mishka I have an extra pair, undrilled. :eek:;):P:thumb:

Correction, they are RCRSCXB for convex base. It's all about the spin moves.

that's exactly what I'm thinking about in reverse sidecut… Reverse camber aaammmm don't know about it yet maybe long tip /tale rocker was zero camber, contact point only under binding

OT you have some rare stuff. Would love to see them someday.....:doh:.but undrilled and unused it some level of self-control:huh:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Interesting sidecut. Sort of like regular sidecut up front (140 down to 122) and just a fishtail for the rest of the ski?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting sidecut. Sort of like regular sidecut up front (140 down to 122) and just a fishtail for the rest of the ski?

BBR -|- Spatula
RCSR​

Would love to see them someday.....:doh:.but undrilled and unused it some level of self-control:huh:

Herself is too injured to use the extra pair - if you want them for experimental silliness, let me know.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
:doh: my mistake Spatula was 120-125-115 ....at first I didn't find dimensions and used K2 pontoons because in their description.... pontoons shape begins from spatula thought there similar. Need to think

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
The Atomic Ritual at 103 from a few years back was also a really good powder ski for anything an area/resort has.

Sponsor

Staff online