• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Napa & Sonoma CA Wildfires

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did! That would be a nightmare. Those type of evacuations happen in fires and hurricanes. I can't imagine having to do that. There would be very little reason to evacuate a Denver hospital in that matter, thankfully.
I'm a nurse at a community hospital, and I can't imagine the stress on patients, families and staff involved in that type of evacuation.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got a message on our Next Door neighborhood site that the Sacramento area will be on "Red Flag Alert" for fire danger due to increasing winds and low humidity starting tomorrow into Thursday. This means increasing wind in Napa, Sonoma and the other Northern California areas already affected by fire as well. We have frequent wildfires in the coastal range to the west of us, but my town is far enough away from the hills that we're not usually affected (other than by the air quality). There is, however, a wildlife area a block north of my home that is full of dry brush and also eucalyptus trees. If a fire started there, my house would almost certainly be endangered (with the winds usually coming from the north). Just last week there was a grass fire north of here, and I woke up to the smell of smoke and had to get up to check to make sure my house wasn't on fire. Next time, I think I'll look outside too.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a nurse at a community hospital, and I can't imagine the stress on patients, families and staff involved in that type of evacuation.

A friend's mom's community evacuated initially to a high school gym. They all thought they were going to a party. That's not a terrible mindset to have in a situation like this, all things considered.

There have been red flag warnings for weeks, so I'm not sure why it's new to the NextDoor types....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
October IS fire month in these parts.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend's mom's community evacuated initially to a high school gym. They all thought they were going to a party. That's not a terrible mindset to have in a situation like this, all things considered.

There have been red flag warnings for weeks, so I'm not sure why it's new to the NextDoor types....
Thinking you're going to a party IS a better mindset, and I certainly have had patients in the hospital who would have thought that way; but most patients and families are already so stressed by being hospitalized, that I can't imagine how the staff managed to get them all out safely (I'm sure it wasn't all calm). As an RN, I would be super-stressed by the situation. A friend said on FB that it took Kaiser Santa Rosa 2.5 hours to evacuate. Not sure how many beds they have.
I didn't know about the red flag warnings until I saw the alert. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to having wildfires burning nearby every summer and fall. They did say that the wind is expected to increase again, so I guess a higher red alert ?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Your poor son! I know Annadel well, have ridden there a few times since I got my mountain bike. I was wondering if that was burning. All that dry brush...:(
Everything south of Lake Ilsanjo is blazing. Its working its way down into the White Oak/Oakmont neighborhoods toward Hwy 12 and into Bennett Valley the other direction. I have friends on both sides who are evacuated. Unfortunately, not looking good for the ones on the White Oak side. Still hope for the ones on BV side.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My friend I woke up (earlier post) is a doctor at the Sutter hospital that also evacuated. He tried to get to them to help but he was completely cutoff by fire. Couldn't get to them w/o a helicopter. He then tried to go to Kaiser to help and couldn't get there either. But they told him they were almost out at that point.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thinking you're going to a party IS a better mindset, and I certainly have had patients in the hospital who would have thought that way; but most patients and families are already so stressed by being hospitalized, that I can't imagine how the staff managed to get them all out safely (I'm sure it wasn't all calm). As an RN, I would be super-stressed by the situation. A friend said on FB that it took Kaiser Santa Rosa 2.5 hours to evacuate. Not sure how many beds they have.
I didn't know about the red flag warnings until I saw the alert. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to having wildfires burning nearby every summer and fall. They did say that the wind is expected to increase again, so I guess a higher red alert ?

200. Its not the main trauma center in the area, but is the main (for Kaiser) surgical and oncological facility North of San Francisco.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend I woke up (earlier post) is a doctor at the Sutter hospital that also evacuated. He tried to get to them to help but he was completely cutoff by fire. Couldn't get to them w/o a helicopter. He then tried to go to Kaiser to help and couldn't get there either. But they told him they were almost out at that point.
There have been requests for RNs and docs to help out at the non-evacuated hospitals in the area. They've now absorbed the patients, plus have staff that have been affected.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything south of Lake Ilsanjo is blazing. Its working its way down into the White Oak/Oakmont neighborhoods toward Hwy 12 and into Bennett Valley the other direction. I have friends on both sides who are evacuated. Unfortunately, not looking good for the ones on the White Oak side. Still hope for the ones on BV side.
It's not contained at all, is it? I hope the winds don't get too bad again. I saw rain in the forecast for next Thursday, but that's a long way away.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's not contained at all, is it? I hope the winds don't get too bad again. I saw rain in the forecast for next Thursday, but that's a long way away.
They are officially claiming 1% for the Annadel fire (officially, the "Nunns" fire for Nunns Canyon). I think its merely a moral victory. Waiting to hear if my friends home just below White Oak made it through the night. TBH, the fire map paints a pretty bleak picture for them.

On the other side (bennett valley) containment efforts are going better. My friend's mom was evacuated last night so they could move heavy equipment and crews up her street. They started a backburn at dawn that just might protect that part of the city.

AND, to top it all off, this afternoon the winds are supposed to return to offshore, gusty, and erratic. The conditions that created Sunday night/Monday morning. I think that is why they are being so aggressive with the back burn on the west side. Because that is the way the winds are going to push it this afternoon.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
@skibob thanks for keeping us updated. We know you have a ton more important things to deal with, we appreciated it.
We are hanging out in Menlo Park with my cousin and his family. Not much to do except try to keep the kids from thinking about it too much. Went to a Tesla showroom yesterday. That was even more fun than it sounds like. Took 30 minutes to drag my son out the Model X. The staff were exceedingly indulgent and showed him all of the touch screen controls, how to work the gull wing doors, etc.

Other than that, just monitoring the situation, helping friends gather info. ANd planning for Saturday (when we will return if the smoke is tolerable). Don't even know which friends to try to help first, there are so many in need.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There's considerable smoke in Reno from the fires, not that I'm complaining, just acknowledging that the winds have picked up enough that its reaching us.
I'm thankful for a smoke filled home that's still standing.
+++vibes+++ to all of Sonoma/Napa

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't imagine how everybody is going to find a place to live while rebuilding in what was already a very, very tight housing market.
I was thinking, what happens to the builder who has also lost his home? He'll be building other homes to make money before he can begin working on his own home.

She lost her aunt & uncle who were the elderly couple that reported killed by the fire. He was 100yo & she was 98yo. Her aunt was her dad's last living sibling. :(

Watching their story was incredible. Such a beautiful love story.

Sponsor

Staff online